ward065 is offline Member

abs, should i do 'em?

in my new split, i am not training abs at all. Having said that, i know there are a lot of pro's who don't train abs at all either.

should i be doing an exercise or two for abs though, or will they get enough work in other movements....

HUNTER1 is offline Member
    i do abs/obliques twice a week. hanging leg lifts, crunches, etc. I like to keep the core of the body strong/toned.

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    in my new split, i am not training abs at all. Having said that, i know there are a lot of pro's who don't train abs at all either.

should i be doing an exercise or two for abs though, or will they get enough work in other movements....
    In my opinion, you should hit them hard at least once a week. I like to hit them at least every other day, but bare minimum for each bodypart is once a week in my opinion. I read in the other post, that you said your getting alot stronger in deads. Well look at it this way, why train your lower back and not train your abs? Thats like training your triceps and not training your biceps. Kind of stupid huh? Hope this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by WHOADY4SHOADY
    In my opinion, you should hit them hard at least once a week. I like to hit them at least every other day, but bare minimum for each bodypart is once a week in my opinion. I read in the other post, that you said your getting alot stronger in deads. Well look at it this way, why train your lower back and not train your abs? Thats like training your triceps and not training your biceps. Kind of stupid huh? Hope this helped.
    a lot of pro's don't train them. I know Omar Deckard doesn't. I read the routines of Bill Willmore and Dexter Jackson, and neither of them list any ab training in their routines, yet, they definetely have good abs!!

some of these guys say they dont train their abs because they believe abs get enough work in other lifts such as squats. There are quite a few pro's who dont train traps either, but traps are something i like to train.

This leads me to wonder if training abs is really a waste of time or not.

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    They lead to overall core strength and on another note Arnold, Big Ronnie and many others DO train abs and look at the difference, heavier lifts and Mr. O titles, I think you need to work abs because they are tied into so many things that it will help your body overall

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    do them one day a wk, you dont have to go crazy

thanks- i think i wll go back to one abs exercise per week, like i was doing before. I'll throw it in with either arms or chest

Also note that DJ did win the Arnold twice....another thing is DJ's training is VERY reasonable, i read in this month's MD he trains 4 days per week, his style seems more like Dorian's.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    all i do is this , one set of flat crunches 25 reps with 30lb dumbell , than 25 more with 45lb and than 25 more with 55lbs, and than one more set of 25 with no weights. that is all i need and my abs are visible

thanks- i think i wll go back to one abs exercise per week, like i was doing before. I'll throw it in with either arms or chest

Also note that DJ did win the Arnold twice....another thing is DJ's training is VERY reasonable, i read in this month's MD he trains 4 days per week, his style seems more like Dorian's.
    can you post his rountine

Quote Originally Posted by freak_of_nature_86
    can you post his rountine
    you can read the whole routine in this month's magazine......it's pretty lengthly if i were to copy all of the details

but he trains 4 days a week, not more, does not train traps and abs either. He seems to do about 3 working sets per exercise, and he keeps the form excellent.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    that's bs. Those guys do abs. I don't care what they say

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    their traps get NUKED by their deads, and i never ever go by what pros say. they are on more than they tell us, and it is their lives, every aspect of their life evolves around it so they have all the time to do it.

Not in a bad way, but look at Swole, it is his job and hell yeah he looks good. but you don't see him giving out all his secrets and ideas to us cretins. you have to have $$$flowing to get any tricks hints and pointers...but Swole will give out a few tips and ideas which makes him...ya know....kinda cool

hardgainer12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    their traps get NUKED by their deads, and i never ever go by what pros say. they are on more than they tell us, and it is their lives, every aspect of their life evolves around it so they have all the time to do it.

Not in a bad way, but look at Swole, it is his job and hell yeah he looks good. but you don't see him giving out all his secrets and ideas to us cretins. you have to have $$$flowing to get any tricks hints and pointers...but Swole will give out a few tips and ideas which makes him...ya know....kinda cool
    kinda cool.......not really cool..... J/K!!! i bow before u!

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    lmao

Akrus423 is offline Useless Member
    a lot of pro's don't train them. I know Omar Deckard doesn't. I read the routines of Bill Willmore and Dexter Jackson, and neither of them list any ab training in their routines, yet, they definetely have good abs!!

some of these guys say they dont train their abs because they believe abs get enough work in other lifts such as squats. There are quite a few pro's who dont train traps either, but traps are something i like to train.

This leads me to wonder if training abs is really a waste of time or not.

For one, they are gifted with great ab genes some people have to train them to get that six-pack some never have to, it all comes naturally, but from ur pics i think u need to keep training them.

Liftnainez is offline Banned
    works on your core a bit.. throw them in once a week and see how u respond to it.. good luck

Thread Information