Thread: flexibility

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member

flexibility

how do you maintain/improve flexibility??

is it done by just stretching?? Any things one should stay away from doing??

also does it matter when the stretch? Before, during or after workout, to improve fleixbility??

also how would one go about trying to actually do the splits?? (i would like to, and no im not gay)

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    First rule of thumb: Never stretch a cold muscle........
    Second rule: Stretch every day!!!
    Third rule: Be patient.........

MJ

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    stretch after working out because you will be able to achieve maximum ROM when your muscles are fatugued and that warm...

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    stretch after working out because you will be able to achieve maximum ROM when your muscles are fatugued and that warm...
    agreed

primetime1 is offline Member
    sorry for jackin this thread but still on topic of streching and flexibility..

i know that the more flexible you are the faster you can be. will being more flexible benifit the muscles and allow them to grow more?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by primetime1

i know that the more flexible you are the faster you can be. will being more flexible benifit the muscles and allow them to grow more?

thanks
    stretching definately helps muscle growth, muscles have to stretch to grow bigger. i thank stretching for being one of the reasons i have seen some great size incraeses to my forever lagging lats... stretch and flex bro...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    agreed
    YES! I'm glad the Doc. Agrees!

thanks
    not to my knowledege, if they did you would here of every bbers stretching routine. i also do not believe that stretching will make you any faster, it doesnt excite or train the quick twitch fibers

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    YES! I'm glad the Doc. Agrees!
    seems like you and i are always on the smae threads about stretching recently

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    not to my knowledege, if they did you would here of every bbers stretching routine. i also do not believe that stretching will make you any faster, it doesnt excite or train the quick twitch fibers
    this is tru i guess, since i never seen a bb talkin about how they stretch and what not.. but as far as running goes. i think it stands tru.
    in my days of sprinting every coach ive had always preached that the more flexible you are that faster you can be.. not makin the person faster, this is produced from hard training and genetics, but being flexible does help a runner able to run better, longer and faster.
    maybe some other runners, can chime in with their thoughts on this.

I sprinted for Team Indiana for 2 years, and I don't know how much medical knowledge is out there about stretching and speed, but for me it was stretching my lower back and hammys that aided me with my blurrring speed. oh and thanks dad (genetics talking)...

im gonna try and look some info up , see if any sprinting coaches imparticular have any insight on this. when i sprinted i was always tryin to stretch extra, and try to become as limber as possible as the more fluid your running motion is the better it is.
    also, i dont think youd see a bulky unflexable runner on a track, winning at least

nova: curious as to what events you ran and some times... just for comparison.. i only ran till i finished HS, made states and had some good speed for a white boy

In the 200 I ran it in 23.09, I also ran the 400 in 46.88...these times were last year and i doubt I'm any quicker seeing as though I have been trying to add size since the 2 year eligability of mine is over...One of my coolest runs was when I ran the 40 in 4.13 I can almost run it in 4 flat...I was a NCAA qualifier for nationals last year and placed 3rd in a preliminary qualifying run with that 400 time, i went on to place 16th nationally (4th in the 3rd heat), but that was last year and my last year of eligibility, the State teams have weird eligibility, I think it was because i ran for Junior Nationals for 2 years...in any case, those are my 2 events and times...

that 400 is impressive bro.. i never broke 50 sec, my PR for 400 was 51.06,
    200 was 22.9 and my 100 was 11.3 or so.. never liked the 400 and was kinda just forced to run it. did you do relays at all? my fasted 40 on the track was 4.3 but tha was when i was light and fast im college for testing i ran 4.5 at 215lbs.. so not bad considering about 75lbs added

anyways. ill be lookin for some articles to support the flexibility and running

that 400 is impressive bro.. i never broke 50 sec, my PR for 400 was 51.06,
    200 was 22.9 and my 100 was 11.3 or so.. never liked the 400 and was kinda just forced to run it. did you do relays at all? my fasted 40 on the track was 4.3 but tha was when i was light and fast im college for testing i ran 4.5 at 215lbs.. so not bad considering about 75lbs added

anyways. ill be lookin for some articles to support the flexibility and running
    I ran in the 4/400. and i would do the 4/100 if they needed me, I ran that in about the same time as you we had a guy on our team named Buyer, that kid could run the 100 in under 11 sometimes...

sprinting will build some monster llegs with a whole lot of strenght! i used to use those crazy achilies heel stretchiong shoes for basketball and used to do all crazy plyometric drills and sprints, my legs got alot bigger and i became alot quicker and stronger, i believe this gave me the foundation for my powerlifting carrer

im lookin foward to my upcoming spring sprinting work outs on the track again.. ill post up results when the times good enough to be outside running over here.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    I think flexibility might have some affect on ability to attain muscle.. im really fleixble and gain muscle easily..

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Joe
    First rule of thumb: Never stretch a cold muscle........
    Second rule: Stretch every day!!!
    Third rule: Be patient.........

MJ
    alright.. pardon my ignorance but
    why dont you stretch a cold muscle??

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stunner5000pt
    alright.. pardon my ignorance but
    why dont you stretch a cold muscle??
    "Stretching should be done when you're warm for best results. That's not to say that stretching cold muscles is dangerous... just that a cold muscle is less elastic to start with, and you may place yourself at additional risk for a strain if you stretch cold muscles vigorously."

Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    "Stretching should be done when you're warm for best results. That's not to say that stretching cold muscles is dangerous... just that a cold muscle is less elastic to start with, and you may place yourself at additional risk for a strain if you stretch cold muscles vigorously."
    very well put IMO...

mizfit: thanks for good info on this topic, i always stretch prior to my lifts, nothing crazy as i fear tears and rips.
    im going to start stretching after the work out and see if the gains come better with more flexibility as some have stated above.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    mizfit: thanks for good info on this topic, i always stretch prior to my lifts, nothing crazy as i fear tears and rips.
    im going to start stretching after the work out and see if the gains come better with more flexibility as some have stated above.
    I quoted it from information i have on file..

But honestly there is nothing funnier than seeing built guys who can't move around.. because they don't strech out at all

I think flexibility might have some affect on ability to attain muscle.. im really fleixble and gain muscle easily..
    i dont, iam very unflexible and i gain muscle easily too, idont think they really corelate. i think it is just genetics that give an idividual there ability to gain size , not flexibility

I quoted it from information i have on file..

But honestly there is nothing funnier than seeing built guys who can't move around.. because they don't strech out at all

thats how its is when your a big mofo though, on the flip, as i stated above youd never see a huge bulky sprinter, becuase they really cant stetch that easily being so damn big.. prolly like doc sus

Thread Information