ctark is offline New Member

Need a simple answer. Can I lose fat and still gain strength?

I'm still in the 260's and want to get down to about 200. Should I just put down the weights and keep on focusing on cardio or can I still gain strength by weight training. I dont really care about gaining a lot of size at the moment. I was real weak after I got off my atkins diet a few months ago.

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctark
    I'm still in the 260's and want to get down to about 200. Should I just put down the weights and keep on focusing on cardio or can I still gain strength by weight training. I dont really care about gaining a lot of size at the moment. I was real weak after I got off my atkins diet a few months ago.
    you should keep up with the weight training during cardio. though you may not make much gains muscular-wise, not working out while doing cardio will make you lose substantial muscle mass, which not only means a worse looking physique in the end, but a decrease in metabolism. working out minimizes muscle loss while on calore restricted diets.

now, what in your right mind ever made you decide to do the atkins diet? you do know that jack*ss died of a heart attack on his own diet, right? not to mention he had at least 3 that i know of while on his diet before that last one that killed him? the diet forces your body to burn ketones, which increases cortisol in the body, burning muscle along with the bodyfat, hence why people can get such dramatic weight-loss on his ridiculous diet. atkins is by far the worst diet fad that has ever come into documented existence.

yes you can still keep/gain stength and lose weight

don't try to lose it too fast

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    atkins? damn son...post your cutting diet in the diet forum, that will undoubtedly help you, and if you are going to lose 60 pounds you will lose strength, no way around that one. but you can maintain as much as possible by keeping up with your workouts and not losing the weight too fast. so like i said, post your diet and maybe even your workout routine. good luck bro...maybe keep a log in here so we can keep up with you and your progress!

Blog Entries
    Don't stop lifting weights!! Do both the cardio and strength training. Also DON'T concentrate on the amount of weight you loose but rather on the amount of body fat. The last thing is just watch what you eat. Dont bother with all these different diets, just eat healthy and you'll see the results.

Quil is offline Member
    Man, I posted a similar thread to this earlier this week....I've been cutting for 8 weeks now, and have lost 17 pounds as of today. I put up a PR on the deadlift last week, and my workouts improve every week. I either put up more weight or do more reps than the previous week on almost every movement. So definitely keep pushing yourself to stay as strong as you can while you cut.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    if not too far from you genetic peak YES otherwise its damn near impossible

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    "Need a simple answer. Can I lose fat and still gain strength?" Yes, you can lose fat and still gain strength. Continue with your weight training and try doing cardio on an empty stomach upon waking up in the morning. Start with 20 minutes and work your way up to 45 minutes.

n4529359 is offline Associate Member
    strength for the most part is neural
    so yeah i agree not much muscle size can be put on in that situation

but ensuring your trainng properly for sttrength : correct rep range , rest etc it is quite possible get decent strength gains

david beads is offline Junior Member
    when im cutting I loose strength, unless I'm "on"

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    if not too far from you genetic peak YES otherwise its damn near impossible
    that's depressing

That means i'm not too far from my genetic peak

But yea.. it's doable.

Thread Information