bombguy is offline Associate Member

Volume Training ?

Hey gents,

Admittedly I have been doing essentially the same workout for years. The standard pyramid workouts and my results are lacking...only really making any gains when I actually change the exercises performed.

After 10 years of lifting, I have decided to really shake up my routine with Volume Training.

I performed Chest and Back today and this was the routine I followed:

Day 1: Chest and Back
    Exercise
    Sets
    Reps
    Tempo
    Rest intervals

A1. Bench press
    None
    A2. Flat dumbbell flies
    120 seconds

B1. Incline bench press
    None
    B2. Incline dumbbell flies
    120 seconds

C1. Lat pulldown
    None
    C2. 1 arm rowing
    120 seconds

D1. T-Bar Row
    None
    D2. Seated cable rowing
    120 seconds

My question is, during the last portion of the workout (back), I was getting fatigued. During the chest portion I felt fine overall and I made sure that the weight used was with strict form as well as a weight that could be performed according to the tempo required and reps required...the thing is, I don't feel as though my chest got a workout?

I'm used to blasting my chest for a full pump and basically thrive off of that. So I wonder, "what am I doing wrong?" Any ideas or experience to toss into this? I want to come away from the gym feeling like I worked out every body part, not just one!

Thanks for any thoughts!

savking is offline Junior Member
    Not a solution but will eliminate one of the possibly
    Train back first see if your fatigued on the chest portion of the workout?

Maybe the pressing group of muscles is just used to more of a pumping than your chest?
    You could try limiting the range of motions on bench ect so not to use the tris so much or super setting flys at the corresponding angle to your presses (incline flyes to incline presses) or the other way around.

But hey youve got more years training on me just some ideas good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by savking View Post
    Not a solution but will eliminate one of the possibly
    Train back first see if your fatigued on the chest portion of the workout?

Maybe the pressing group of muscles is just used to more of a pumping than your chest?
    You could try limiting the range of motions on bench ect so not to use the tris so much or super setting flys at the corresponding angle to your presses (incline flyes to incline presses) or the other way around.

But hey youve got more years training on me just some ideas good luck!
    Maybe I should clarify a bit. Of course I felt "better" at the beginning of the workout due to more energy...the issue is that I got more of a pump from doing the back portion than I did the chest portion, when I was "fresh." It would make sense to me that I should have had more of a pump during the first half of training. I'm just disappointed that my chest doesn't feel "worked out." I'll give it a day or two to see if I get an deep muscle soreness from changing it up...otherwise I may need some ideas to get that tissue damaged!!

Ok I get ya and yeah it would make sense to get a pump from the first portion of the work out. All you can do really is switch it up until you find something new that hurts! If you train with a partner try some Yates style beyond failure movements forced negatives and the whole shabang

So, day 2 and I did the arms portion, which was a great workout..actually a pretty ridiculous pump! I've also gotten over some elbow pain, so I am back to full strength in my left elbow...think I damaged a ligament a month or so ago. So far I'm liking this workout but 2 days into it is hard to tell for the next 8 weeks.

As a side note, had the deep tissue soreness in my chest set in this morning...pretty psyched about that. I'll attempt to up my weight by 5-10% next week and keep the progress goin up. My goal is to keep increasing poundage no less than 5% each week.

Ahh good stuff, i would think your body will respond well to the work out change. as far as i know your body grows in spurts that halt and plateau when your body adapts to training conditions, so changing your work out every 4 weeks can optimise growth potential.

Thread Information