SuperLift is offline Senior Member

Cigarettes and Lifting

Just wondering how much cigarettes effect you (if they do at all) while bulking. I have been smoking for a couple of years and its tough to quit. Will this effect me while im trying to put on some mass? Obviously I might get out of breath quicker, but other than that? just curious. time to goto work...

Triple X is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperLift
    Just wondering how much cigarettes effect you (if they do at all) while bulking. I have been smoking for a couple of years and its tough to quit. Will this effect me while im trying to put on some mass? Obviously I might get out of breath quicker, but other than that? just curious. time to goto work...
    They suppress your appetite first of all so good luck bulking. Second of all you will rob oxygen from your body during.....ahh screw it.....if your asking a question like this then you obviously don't take exercise seriously. Therefore I doubt any answers given will be taken seriously. Do some research pal.

pelly789 is offline Member
    if you do smoke you mine as well not waste your time in the gym because you will be going no where fast

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson26.htm

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I gave up smoking a couple of years ago after asking this same question on this forum. Yes it does hamper your progress apart from health wise. It robs the body of nutrients that are vital to being anabolic . It also interferes with digestion. You know what you must do!! I made a deal with myself. All the money I spent on ciggs and booze I now spend on supps,gear and lovely food!

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    Switch to chewing snuff. Leave the cigarettes for teenage girls and other idiots.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Johny-too-small
    Switch to chewing snuff. Leave the cigarettes for teenage girls and other idiots.
    Yeah,snuff is perfectly safe..

mick-g is offline Associate Member
    Its a hard nut to crack the cigs, lol! I know i stopped yrs ago, but it is not only a hard decision to make, but you have to do it cold turkey and really want to stop. Its hard cause your mind will play tricks on you to startup again, but its worth it if you can do it. Try to find other things to take up the time you spent smoking, anything be it lozenges, food, sugarless gum etc. I feel sooo much better doing cardio, and the energy i felt a def difference after like two months. Now i take it kinda for granted, so i have to remind myself what i went thru to stop. Don't have cravings anymore, but it can last up to 2yrs b4 you stop craving them altogether. It takes time and it does get better day by day. Bro, you will be doing your body such a big favor, its worth it.

doesnt really matter how the nicotine and 4,000 other chemicals get into your body it still has the same affects besides the lungs may not be affected as much instead of that youll have half of a face.

KrooC is offline Anabolic Member
    dont bother going to the gym .... rofl .... smokin hinders ur gains proven.... but workin out improves ur health proven....

I knew that cigarettes were harmfull.....But I never knew how much of a set back they are when it comes to bodybuilding. I would rather not dip as an alternative. I am just going to try to quit all together. Gonna be a tough couple of weeks for me.. Any hints on quiting perfectbeast? thanks all.

JMan06 is offline Member
    *EDIT* srry wrong thread

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I got real phyched up and told everyone that new me that I was giving up. This put pressure on me. Because I am obsessive compulsive I became determined not to let myself or anyone down. I also focused on how much better my physique would look and all the extra stuff i can waste my cash on. Hence now I'm running GH.

i heard chewing gum works for when you have a craving for one...also change up your routine a little bit and when ever you would normally have a cigarette like say after breakfast or something chew a piece of gum and definatly keep yourself occupied to take your mind off the cravings

Day 1 of quitting. This is the first day that I have not smoked a cigarette. It really was not an issue today considering I got sick. I woke up fine then when I got to work all of a sudden I got a runny nose and started sneezing. I can feel a cough coming on. Will there be a noticeable difference when I quit smoking? Putting on mass that is.. Well I am bulking so duh. So far so good. Ill keep ya updated for Day 2.

Day 2 is good. Still no nicotine! I think i can tell a little difference in the gym. Im still sick though so I dont know.

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Day 2 is good. Still no nicotine! I think i can tell a little difference in the gym. Im still sick though so I dont know.
    awesome bro!! stick with it, we'll be your motivation.

NOREGRETS is offline Senior Member
    I knew that cigarettes were harmfull.....But I never knew how much of a set back they are when it comes to bodybuilding. I would rather not dip as an alternative. I am just going to try to quit all together. Gonna be a tough couple of weeks for me.. Any hints on quiting perfectbeast? thanks all.
    1. Throw away anything to do with cigarettes (ashtrays, lighters, etc.)
    2. Clean any car or rooms that smell like cigarettes.
    3. Avoid alcohol like the plague.
    4. Avoid people who smoke and places that allow smokers.
    5. Eat a couple of citrus fruits a day.
    6. Get something to help with oral fixation (tooth picks, dump dumps)
    7. For every pack you would have smoked, put the cost of that pack in a five gallon water jug, everyday (preferably dollar bills). It shows you how much money you were wasting on coffin nails. Then after 3-6 months use the money to buy or do something for yourself, it's an award for your accomplishment. Preferably something you wouldn't normally do.
    8. Make sure to tell everyone you know that you quit and ask for support.

I used all of things to help me quit a year and half ago.

Good luck and keep up the good work

Day 3

Im starting to get over my cold and the cravings are getting a little stronger. I threw away all my lighters and bought one of those Vanilla Pine Trees to hang from my rear view mirror. I also gave away my pipe (not a tobacco pipe) and have not had a sip of alcohol for 1 week. Im giving that up as well thanks to this thread I came across. http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...37#post2878937 Great info! Ill keep ya posted, thanks a million for the support!

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    if you're trying to improve yourself...might not want to waste your time watching any movie by your avatar jk

good luck bro...

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    if you're trying to improve yourself...might not want to waste your time watching any movie by your avatar jk
    I dont think so!! Will Farrell is the man. Haha

FromFleshtoSteel is offline Associate Member
    big help to me when quitting was to stay away from alcohol and bars and to try to avoid my friends who smoked for a little bit. Either that or ask them either 1. to kindly not smoke around you for awhile and 2. to not give you a cigarette now matter how much you beg/plead/cry

Its a nice way to quit when you start off by getting sick. Sort of stops you from smoking those first few days if you are coughing and wheezing already.

The other thing that's really cool is when you can start to smell smoke again. At some point you will smell your clothes and be like "holy crap, this reeks of smoke" and at that point I remember I was totally disgusted by smoking

DAY 4 is GREAT! The cravings really arent to bad still. All you have to do is not think about it. If you think about smoking then you really want 1, if you dont then your fine. My girlfriend does smoke and when she came over the other day i kissed her. After that 1 kiss I made her go brush her teeth because I couldnt stand the taste of the cigarette she just smoked. I guess I can look at the bright side.......tell her to stay away from me for a while!!!! HAHA what a relief... but yah anyways I am staying away from bars seeing how Im not going to drink anymore. Some of my non-smoking friends are also cheering me on. Well, time to goto the gym...Thanks for the support bros! Its really making it a lot easier.

I guess thats all... My body does not want to smoke cigarettes any more. Thanks for all the help guys. This is awesome, Im so pyshed that i quit.

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    Tobacco is the worst drug I have ever taken. It did me no good.

ah2006 is offline New Member
    man I have always thought about quitting smoking as well. Im not a legit smoker. I usually just smoke when I drink, and when I'm in my car (which isnt a lot since I live on a college campus). But after reading this post and all the good things that come from quitting, im done as well. No more cigs for me! Thanks guys. Whenever I come on these forums, I always get motivated to get my shit right.

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    I dont smoke often - only when I down some beers. I actually had quit dipping for a while, but hey - you go thru what I've been thru this year, and smoking or dipping is the least of your worries..

I did make good gains while still smoking, but better gains do come when not, I know first hand. It suppresses your appetite as well as cuts off oxygen to your muscles.

I think everyone should quit, I feel a lot better now that I am done. Thats Mentally and Physically. Give away all your lighters and stay away from people that do smoke, that helped me.

mavsluva is offline "Gone but not forgotten" 10/11/07
    Can I put water in the gas tank of my car? I know it's not good for my car, but on the other hand, it makes my fuel gauge appear to be more full.

Similar principle.

Good for you, Superlift. Your attitude towards this bad habit is where it needs to be. Keep on truckin'!

Mavsluva

Thread Information