paddy155 is offline Member

deadlifts reps and sets

How many sets and and how many reps should you do of deadlifts on back day ? At the moment I have been doing 3 set's for my lower back. Reps are 6-10,3-5 and finished off with 11-15 of the lightest weight of the 3 sets. I am not sure if this is maybe to much. Any advice guy's. Was thinking of droping the rep's ?

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy155
    How many sets and and how many reps should you do of deadlifts on back day ? At the moment I have been doing 3 set's for my lower back. Reps are 6-10,3-5 and finished off with 11-15 of the lightest weight of the 3 sets. I am not sure if this is maybe to much. Any advice guy's. Was thinking of droping the rep's ?

personally i dont like doing multiple sets with deads,especially when going heavy as form can suffer so i do 3 warmup sets then 1 effective set,3x per week.it works perfectly.

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

If you're warmed up

I like to do a warmup set of 15 (very clean and light, say 135 or so), then
    225 for 10
    285 for 8-10
    315 for 5-6
    385 for 1-2

I like deadlifts and think they are the most important exercise one can do. JMHO

Jimmya73 is offline Senior Member
    are you getting bigger? if the answer is no, and you have given your current schedule enough time to properly answer it, then change the rep range,change the number of sets, increase your weights etc.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I hit about 4 sets. I really like doing deads with a lower rep range..sumtihn like this

315x8
    365x8
    455x5
    525x2

I hit both rep ranges and the third and fourth set really test you

Quil is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I hit about 4 sets. I really like doing deads with a lower rep range..sumtihn like this

315x8
    365x8
    455x5
    525x2

Damn bro. Those are some good numbers. I hit 410 for a PR the other day and was happy. I also like to keep my reps relatively low, especially once I get really heavy. Lots of triples, doubles, and a single or two.

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6

315x8
    365x8
    455x5
    525x2

I like Chest's way of doing it the best of those suggested....I wouldn't recommend doing doubles though on ur heaviest weight, chest has obviously seen results so I'm not gonna tell him to change, but for me I don't like singles, doubles, or even triples. IMO the muslce that your working needs to be under stress for a minimum amount of time for significant, deep, and effective muscle tear to occur...that doesn't happen in under 4 reps, IMO, or from my experience, that is....

~M.A.D.

mateo112 is offline Associate Member
    i like doing 2 or 3 sets of 4 reps. i agree with grappler deadlifts should be a staple of everyones routine

Thread Information