boxingbean is offline Senior Member

eliptical machines for weight loss.

should i be doing it hardcore or slow paced??

if i hit it on the up hill kilimanjaro,
    basically low to high to low over 30 mins after working out
    at about 160/70 heart rate
    and at 70-80 rpms

...is it better then no incline and just straight at a moderate pace...low heart rate???

cuz i like to hit that shit circuit style....will it be better for weight loss???
    and should i eat after if its a nightly routine?

pepperoni is offline Associate Member
    The amoutn of incline you have is not a big factor, as long as your are doing it at about 70% of your max heart rate, then you will burn fat. Doin your cardio in the morning on an empty stomach or later at night a couple hours after your last meal for the night is ideal for losing weight.

I can't say whether you should do it hardcore or slow paced as you asked, because it will be a different pace for every person. but 60-70% of your max heart rate is the fat burning zone you would want to be in.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    agreed. Going above ideal HR will burn muscle.

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    look good in ur avy beast

ive never used the elipticals but i walk on an incline...i can walk on a steeper incline at a significantly slower pace than usual and keep my heart rate where it needs to be so id rather walk slower...

bazerk is offline Associate Member
    What's the best way to judge HR? I never trusted the machines themselves to be honest. Should I?

ghostdog128 is offline Junior Member
    buy a heart rate monitor that goes around your chest and you wear a watch that reads the telemetry of the HR monitor. They are dead accurate. and relatively cheap about $60 for a decent one.

boxingbean is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bazerk
    What's the best way to judge HR? I never trusted the machines themselves to be honest. Should I?

ya really....so whats about 70% ideal HR?? cuz my heartrate be in the 170s when im runnin...jumps like a rabbit quickly.

but thx for advice....so far my cardio been makin me lose MAD weight and a lil muscle..but chest looks amazzingly ripped and stomach hard n flat...lotsa compliments..

but wanna keep the bulk...

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Quote Originally Posted by boxingbean
    ya really....so whats about 70% ideal HR?? cuz my heartrate be in the 170s when im runnin...jumps like a rabbit quickly.

but thx for advice....so far my cardio been makin me lose MAD weight and a lil muscle..but chest looks amazzingly ripped and stomach hard n flat...lotsa compliments..

but wanna keep the bulk...
    Yes, heart rate monitors is the ONLY thing I trust. I do elliptical/run in place/box for cardio...lately its been running in place and boxing, elliptical is at my parents place.
    Heart rate: 220-age*.65 or .7

neardark is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by audis4
    Yes, heart rate monitors is the ONLY thing I trust. I do elliptical/run in place/box for cardio...lately its been running in place and boxing, elliptical is at my parents place.
    Heart rate: 220-age*.65 or .7
    Agree!

Agree with the others that said to not get over that, your system needs oxygen to burn fat, getting faster, theres less oxygen in your blood. After burning your carbs, you'll burn muscle instead of fat.

Thread Information