MotoLifter is offline Senior Member

Help with my SAD bench press

I have a WEAK bench press. I have tried various things to inprove it but nothing has broken the barrier. My current best bench is 285lbs. the thing is i'm 215lbs, and should be able to bench much more. I have tried board presses, floor presses,inclines, declines, strenthening my tris, and nothing seems to translate to a better bench.

I can floor press 345, and had been doing a floor press workout in hopes of helping my bench numbers.

I have determined it is not the "lock portion" or even the midpoint. It seems to be the transition from down to up where I get stuck. I am just not sure how to work on that part of the lift.

Anyone have any ideas??? I am willing to try anything right now. If you need anymore info let me know. Thanks alot. This has really been pissing me off

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Why bench in the first place? I don't understand the fixation on benching

It is not the end all be all of excercises. You are benching fine IMO.
    ***No source checks!!!***

narrow your grip more, some guys do better w/ a grip that looks a little narrower, it keeps your elbows closer to your body and keeps the shoulders from flaring out. As soon as the shoulders flare out the work is all on them and not much chest. When you bring your grip in a little narrower your chest acts more like a spring

robkesl is offline Senior Member
    post up your workout, lets take a look at it.

nalbano34 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    narrow your grip more, some guys do better w/ a grip that looks a little narrower, it keeps your elbows closer to your body and keeps the shoulders from flaring out. As soon as the shoulders flare out the work is all on them and not much chest. When you bring your grip in a little narrower your chest acts more like a spring
    I agree,my bench press has never been spectacular.I prefer dumbbells due to the ability to bring them in narrow on the contraction.That bench is fine bro.....you growing still?If so then keep it up.Too many exercises to be bothered anyway.

Tru2 is offline Female Member
    Whats your workload for upper body like prior to your benching?

It could be easily your technique. Have you ever been critiqued? when I was taught how to benching correctly .. it changed that lift for me and my weights have started to go up after being stalled for sometime. make sure you squeeze your shoulder blades together and arch your back.. using your back to assist with the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked

my chest workout looks like this:
    stretch, 10-15 pushups as warm up.

bench
    180x12
    220x10
    260x6
    285x1-2

incline
    180x10
    180x8
    180x8
    140x12

decline
    180x10
    180x8
    180x5-6
    140x12

no peak flys: dropsets
    35sx10
    25sx10
    15sx10

my grip is middle, or index finger on rings. I squeez my sholder blades together, and arch my back, feet flat on the floor.

I dont have that sticking point in my incline or decline. I bring the bar down to just under my nipples. Maybe I'm just not designed for a huge bench press. I dunno. any ideas???

bump for some more replies. Tru2????? robkesl????? anyone????

Tru2 is offline Female Member
    Try lowering your volume a little. thats a heck of a lot of benching!

For good strength gains.. try either Bill Starrs 5x5 routine or grab Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and follow his strength program in there. the 5x5 has given me good strength gains in all my lifts. if you want to do accessory work then lighter volume on your off days.

dhriscerr is offline Senior Member
    Yeah Thats alot of benching. Switch it up too, use dumbells sometimes, it will help throw a curve ball to your muscles keep them guessing and growing

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    Drop the flies and do 9 sets total. For each exercise do 3 sets: 1st moderate weight (10-12 reps), 2nd heavier (8-10), 3rd heaviest (5-8 reps).

Also, hit the DB's for stability strenght.

I'll try dropping the total amout of sets and seeif that help. thanks everyone.

bmuhtneerg is offline New Member

Triceps

Work on tricep strength along with a closer grip. It works great.

Thread Information