Thread: Abs

Kevinjg is offline Associate Member

Abs

Can any of you give me some tough exercises to get my abs to grow and stand out! What ever i do fails! I've a good diet and a good cycle going.
    Thanks

FlyByU is offline Associate Member
    Heavy free weight core lifts like below parallel squats, full squats and deadlifts have been shown to recruit the most number of abdominal muscle fibres. You need excellent ab strength to lift heavy in the squat and deadlift.
    Take a look at powerlifters. Most have bulging stomachs. Some of them look like they're fat, but when you see them without their shirt on you can tell that it's the sheer size of their abs that is protruding their stomachs.
    When I focussed on heavy deadlifts and squats, not only did my legs and back grow, but my abs and even the rest of my upper body grew too! A lot of people think you have to do isolation exercises to work the abs, but that's not true. It's very rare to see someone who has a weak squat and deadlift to also have very well developed abdominal muscles. Standing barbell military press and dumbell shoulder press done standing also requires excellent core stability, so are great exercises for the abs too. Another good exercise you should do is tuck jumps. Do them at the end of your squat and deadlift workout days. Jump up as high as you can and tuck the knees up towards the chest when you do them. Do 5 sets of 10 with a minute or two in between. You can also jump over barriers, like hurdles. If you live near an athletics track, position 8 hurdles about 5-6 footsteps apart and jump over each one as high as you can. I promise you that you will feel your abs hurting in the morning!
    When you get good at that, you can put a weighted belt around your waist and do the jumps with the belt on. Sprinting up flights of steps also recruits a lot of ab muscle fibres. I run up the stairs at my local athletics stadium twice a week and attribute that to increasing my ab strength, definition and size as well as the other exercises.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    crunches, weighted crunches work best,

X-Damien is offline Associate Member
    decline reverse crunches with cables attached to feet, hanging weighted leg raises.

Superhuman is offline Banned
    IMO just get your bodyfat low. I don't believe in doing anything heavy for abs - just extremely high reps. I don't want my abs to get bigger at all, just harder. You see a lot of guys have bigger waists because their abs are so developed - ESPECIALLY the pros... it just looks disgusting. I am trying to acheive RIPPED abs with a tiny waist <30in. I do like 200 crunches for an ab workout - but I never let my shoulders touch the ground so I maintain constant tension. I will also do sets of 30 reps of Atomic crunches (where you simulatneously bring your torso and knees together)

JJP480 is offline Associate Member
    Peel off the layer before you go about thickening your abdominal area.
    If you lean right out and see your abs in full, and still think they are too small then train them accordingly to get the look you desire.
    I always thought I had under developed abs and when I shredded off the lard in full I noticed they didn't need that much more size. I thickened them up a wee bit but not to what I thought they needed to be.

HSFootball is offline Associate Member
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5145/bodgv7.jpg

I think my bodyfat is low enough. I been doin abs for about the past 2 months weighted and non weighted. They won't stick out!!! What else could I do.

Quote Originally Posted by HSFootball
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5145/bodgv7.jpg

I think my bodyfat is low enough. I been doin abs for about the past 2 months weighted and non weighted. They won't stick out!!! What else could I do.
    you still have some more fat to lose, keep doing cardio and eating a good, clean diet.

I don't want to lose too much fat cause I need some of the weight for football. Is there a way to make them stick out through the fat because some of the defensive LINEMEN have abs here.

I don't want to lose too much fat cause I need some of the weight for football. Is there a way to make them stick out through the fat because some of the defensive LINEMEN have abs here.
    It really depends on skin thickness and the amount of fat that's covering them. You can have abs of steel but if you have over 12% bodyfat you're not going to be able to see them very well. Either the linemen you are talking about are leaner than you think or they just happen to have really tight skin. If you get your abs bigger then they're going to stick out further than your chest and that would just look ridiculous lol. What position do you play?

I play Will Linebacker 5'11 187 lbs. I know I don't need abs for my position but I would just like to have them seeing that some of the linebackers in the pros have them.

I play Will Linebacker 5'11 187 lbs. I know I don't need abs for my position but I would just like to have them seeing that some of the linebackers in the pros have them.
    what year are you? (if you are under 18 and you tell us your age you will be suspended just so you know) If you are an underclassman then just concentrate on your speed and agility - you need to be big and fast, you don't really need to look good. If you are planning on college ball then just be the best damn football player you can be, colleges will see your skills, not necessarily your size. They will redshirt you freshman year and bulk you up as much as they want.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    crunches, weighted crunches work best,

i thought situps were the best, weighted for abs.

cruches are better?

Not to hijack, but I too, am looking for a good ab workout. Im kinda with superhuman on doing the high reps thing, thats what I used todo.

I know low BF is the key factor, but when i get that low, hopefully soon, I want nice hard, ripped abs....not abs that stick out, if that makes any sense???

Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    what year are you? (if you are under 18 and you tell us your age you will be suspended just so you know) If you are an underclassman then just concentrate on your speed and agility - you need to be big and fast, you don't really need to look good. If you are planning on college ball then just be the best damn football player you can be, colleges will see your skills, not necessarily your size. They will redshirt you freshman year and bulk you up as much as they want.

I already do enough speed and agility with my strength and speed trainer Kurt Hester. I don't know if you ever heard of him but hes pretty big down here. I run the 40 in 4.7 but I guess I could always improve. I would like to play college ball but I am not getting any playing time. I started my sophomore year and my junior year I got benched because I was "small" even though everyone say I am better than him... definately faster and stronger. He's just big. So I want to get swole and big and maybe then he will play me.

I already do enough speed and agility with my strength and speed trainer Kurt Hester. I don't know if you ever heard of him but hes pretty big down here. I run the 40 in 4.7 but I guess I could always improve. I would like to play college ball but I am not getting any playing time. I started my sophomore year and my junior year I got benched because I was "small" even though everyone say I am better than him... definately faster and stronger. He's just big. So I want to get swole and big and maybe then he will play me.
    Oh okay I feel you... you have just over 6 months until the season, so here's what I think:

For the next 3 months, eat 2X as much as you normally eat (and I'm not exaggerating). STUFF YOUR FACE ALL DAY LONG. EAT, EAT, EAT. Lots of protein and lots of carbs all day long. Say you normaly eat 2500-3000 calories a day, eat 5000-6000. Wake up in the middle of the night and eat a peanut butter, jelly, and honey sandwich. I GURANTEE you will put on more way than you can imagine. Keep training hard for mass - high weight and low reps, but make sure to do some form of cardio at least 3 days a week and make sure to stretch regularly.

After 3 months I would expect you to have gained at least 50lbs if you are eating that much. If you are training hard and using some kind of good supplement then at least half of that should be muscle. If you are 187lbs that means by the end of May you should weigh 237lbs.

Spend the next 3 months (June-August) working on your speed and agility, and training with higher reps and lower weight. Also clean up your diet to low fat, medium carbs, and high protein. Do cardio at least 4 times a week. Over these 3 months you should lose 15lbs of fat and "turn" the other 10lbs of fat you had gained into muscle. This will put you at a ripped 222lbs by September.

This will take a lot of work and your body will go through a lot of changes but it will be worth it. You could run something like Methyl Masterdrol for those 6 months too

Yeah I do plenty of running. I actually joined track team to get a little bit faster and get a bit of a more advantage. I will try and eat as much as I can all day long(Eat healthy still right?) and I pretty much train hard everyday to get my position back. Methyl Masterdrol, I'm guessing is some kind of steroid ? Will I get caught or have any bad side effects?
    Last edited by HSFootball; 02-21-2007 at 12:20 AM.

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    Oh okay I feel you... you have just over 6 months until the season, so here's what I think:

For the next 3 months, eat 2X as much as you normally eat (and I'm not exaggerating). STUFF YOUR FACE ALL DAY LONG. EAT, EAT, EAT. Lots of protein and lots of carbs all day long. Say you normaly eat 2500-3000 calories a day, eat 5000-6000. Wake up in the middle of the night and eat a peanut butter, jelly, and honey sandwich. I GURANTEE you will put on more way than you can imagine. Keep training hard for mass - high weight and low reps, but make sure to do some form of cardio at least 3 days a week and make sure to stretch regularly.

After 3 months I would expect you to have gained at least 50lbs if you are eating that much. If you are training hard and using some kind of good supplement then at least half of that should be muscle. If you are 187lbs that means by the end of May you should weigh 237lbs.

Spend the next 3 months (June-August) working on your speed and agility, and training with higher reps and lower weight. Also clean up your diet to low fat, medium carbs, and high protein. Do cardio at least 4 times a week. Over these 3 months you should lose 15lbs of fat and "turn" the other 10lbs of fat you had gained into muscle. This will put you at a ripped 222lbs by September.

This will take a lot of work and your body will go through a lot of changes but it will be worth it. You could run something like Methyl Masterdrol for those 6 months too
    50 lbs. in 3 months? Wow... Sounds a little unhealthy...

boostedevo8 is offline Associate Member
    YEAH kinda crazy

yodaddy is offline Associate Member
    i have been doing this ab routine for about 2 months now and my abs are totally getting shredded, what i do is go to the decline bench put one of those tricep rope pull downs around where your feet would go. then hold the rope over your shoulders by your chest and do leg lifts on the decline sets of 20 inc the decline every week, i also throw in some other exercises with that and my abs are amazing.....P.S the grls go crazyyyyyy hahahaha

Yeah I do plenty of running. I actually joined track team to get a little bit faster and get a bit of a more advantage. I will try and eat as much as I can all day long(Eat healthy still right?) and I pretty much train hard everyday to get my position back. Methyl Masterdrol, I'm guessing is some kind of steroid? Will I get caught or have any bad side effects?
    Keep it relatively healthy meaning don't be eating sticks of butter and cupcakes, but eat EVERYTHING. I gained 100lbs in less than a year by eating at an all-you-can-eat pizza place 3 times a day, drinking 5 protein shakes a day, eating protein bars during class, drinking a gallon of whole milk a day, and eating grilled chicken and steak for my meals whenever I could. Over 60% of that weight was muscle, so I don't think it's too crazy. I only ran 1 small cycle for 8 weeks and that was 40mg Dbol ED and Test Enth 500mg/wk. I had no side effects at all besides acne on my shoulders.

The mistakes I made were that i got LOTS of stretchmarks and I totally neglected to stretch, so come football season I tore both of my hamstrings because I grew so fast and didn't stretch, my tendons couldn't handle moving my heavy body so fast

I'm still growing so I'm not so sure about it. Gear stunts your growth right?

I'm still growing so I'm not so sure about it. Gear stunts your growth right?
    I've heard many things stunt your growth, including lifting weights period. I have grown about an inch since I started juicing, so I'm not sure. Take it slow with regards to AAS, that's all I can say

Dnutz is offline New Member
    i'd wait a few years till you think about using gear.

Thread Information