rukus43 is offline Associate Member

effectiveness of jumping rope

Hey all:
    Just wanted to know the effectiveness of jumping rope as a form of cardio. I will not be able to run for a bit so this is why I am asking. I understand that effectiveness is basically based on being in the target heart rate zone but I just wanted to get some opinions. Also, is there a specific way to jump rope that is better than another? And is there a specific type of jump rope that is better than another? Thanks.

bump

Anybody have any information?

getpaid is offline Associate Member
    I love jumping rope..I usually rotate when doing cardio from running, to the bike, and then I will jump rope while keeping my abs flexed, nothing better IMO...
    Last edited by getpaid; 02-13-2007 at 08:43 PM.

mcpeepants is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getpaid
    I love jumping rope..I usually rotate when doing cardio from running, to the bike, and then I will jump rope while keeping my abs flexed, nothing better IMO...
    how long do you jump rope for?

acciaio is offline Associate Member
    I think that if you use a cardio frequency meter and keep your h/rate in range you should be fine.....

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    it is a great exercise, really works the quick twitch fibers, will make you faster.

Liftnainez is offline Banned
    bump for more info.. how long would one need to jump rope to get the same effects as walking uphill for 20-30 min..

getpaid is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liftnainez
    bump for more info.. how long would one need to jump rope to get the same effects as walking uphill for 20-30 min..
    I'm not exactly sure on that...Like I said tho I just try to rotate in between running and riding the bike, I usually jump rope 10 to 15min, and like Doc said just make sure your heart rate is where you want it...Also someone once explained it to me like this when I asked how effective jumping rope was: He said just like if you were to rub your arm really fast you would be knocking off all the dead cells of skin..Well he said jumping rope has pretty much the same effect on dead cells in the body and helps to create new ones...Now, I'm not sure if this is true but it definitely sounds good.. Maybe someone else can better answer that question tho..

Quote Originally Posted by getpaid
    I'm not exactly sure on that...Like I said tho I just try to rotate in between running and riding the bike, I usually jump rope 10 to 15min, and like Doc said just make sure your heart rate is where you want it...Also someone once explained it to me like this when I asked how effective jumping rope was: He said just like if you were to rub your arm really fast you would be knocking off all the dead cells of skin..Well he said jumping rope has pretty much the same effect on dead cells in the body and helps to create new ones...Now, I'm not sure if this is true but it definitely sounds good.. Maybe someone else can better answer that question tho..
    Thanks for the info.. I always heard great things.. maybe I will alternate 20 min of jump roping in the morning with walking uphill..

theboss is offline Associate Member
    double dutch is the bomb !!

Quote Originally Posted by theboss
    double dutch is the bomb !!
    lol! it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Liftnainez
    it is different for everyone, if you can do it for 15 minutes, taking breaks whenyou need them, that would be in the pall park of 20 30 minutes on a treadmill, here is what i did, i would jump rope about 100 to 200 revoulutions, when i would start losing speed and feeling worn out i would stop for about 1-2minutes, during this 2 minutes i would walk to keep my heart rate moving, if i was doing this in a garage i wold just walk around the garage, when i felt ready to go, than i would start it up again. you will know when you are losing speed because you will start triping over the rope and it will happen more frquently, when this happens, stop, rest for 1-2 minutes and start it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    it is different for everyone, if you can do it for 15 minutes, taking breaks whenyou need them, that would be in the pall park of 20 30 minutes on a treadmill, here is what i did, i would jump rope about 100 to 200 revoulutions, when i would start losing speed and feeling worn out i would stop for about 1-2minutes, during this 2 minutes i would walk to keep my heart rate moving, if i was doing this in a garage i wold just walk around the garage, when i felt ready to go, than i would start it up again. you will know when you are losing speed because you will start triping over the rope and it will happen more frquently, when this happens, stop, rest for 1-2 minutes and start it up again.
    Hey Doc! Thanks for the great info.. Will def be using this method very shortly.. I will be alternating btw jumping rope and walking at 3.5-4.0 mph at a 15 incline.. thanks again bro!

The Legend is offline Junior Member
    jumping rope is absolutely great for you. my team's cardio is always alternating between the bike and jumping rope. its what hockey player live by

Thread Information