Tommy Gunn is offline Member

When doing dumbell lateral raises and dumbell rear lateral raises...

When doing dumbell lateral raises and dumbell rear lateral raises do you bring the dumbells to shoulder level or do you bring them up higher? I heard bringing them to shoulder level works the delt (side delt for lat raises and rear delt for rear delt raises) and when you bring them up higher you work more of the middle traps rather than the delt. Is that true?

How do you guys perform these two exercises? Do you bring them to shoulder level or higher?

And one more question: is it better to do these two exercises standing or seated? What's the difference (if any)?

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Good Question.

For Side Laterals.
    I will typically raise to about parallel or a tad higher but the biggest diff is that as I raise the DB I also turn my pinkie up higher than my thumb like im pouring a pitcher of water. Helps recruit more fibers specialy towards rear portion of medial delt.

I also like to do one arm at a time and will lean at a slight angle holding on to a study foundation with the opposite hand.

Make sure you can pause for a split second at top of movement and you can control the weight on downward phase if you cant your using to much weight.

Rear Delt Raise
    With either my body bent over or lying face down on incline bench, Keeping my elbows slightly bent but firm I raise my rear delts back, but I also keep my shoulder blades rolled forward. this keeps my traps from taking over and places all the stress on the rear delt.

an alternate way is to lay face down on incline bench a pull your arms backward like in a superman postion instead of out to the sides of your body.

most people use WAY to much weight and perform some type of half assed db row.

I also like to use plates (10-25 lbs) instead of dumb bells because they are a bit easier to balance and stay out of the way.

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MFT81
    Good Question.

For Side Laterals.
    I will typically raise to about parallel or a tad higher but the biggest diff is that as I raise the DB I also turn my pinkie up higher than my thumb like im pouring a pitcher of water. Helps recruit more fibers specialy towards rear portion of medial delt.

now that is good form....don't ever see anyone doing that except me and one of the personal trainers....and it burns so good

Thread Information