Working out first thing in the morning- how to prepare

I will be hitting the weights first thing in the morning and then doing cardio in the same session.

Should I eat just carbs, like 1/2 cup of oats and then go to the gym 45 min-1 hour later? Or should I also eat protein, or should I have some simple and complex carbs w/out protein?

Basically, what would be the best pre-workout meal when lifting weights followed by cardio first thing in the morning?

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibrantred94gt
    I will be hitting the weights first thing in the morning and then doing cardio in the same session.

Should I eat just carbs, like 1/2 cup of oats and then go to the gym 45 min-1 hour later? Or should I also eat protein, or should I have some simple and complex carbs w/out protein?

Basically, what would be the best pre-workout meal when lifting weights followed by cardio first thing in the morning?

your first meal of the day should always be mad up of carbs, and protein.

IMO doing any anaerobic exercise without eating protein first, especially in the morning is asking for trouble if muscle hypertrophy is the goal.

I was training early in the morning for about a year at one point. Some ppl find it hard to eat first thing in the morning but I never had this problem.

when bulking I would have one cup of oats, 3fruit, 6 egg whites, 30g protein shake, then train 30 min’s later, then post workout would be oats protein shake mixed with water. 100 carbs, 50 protein, depending on what I was training that day.....

What are your goals are you cutting or bulking?
    Last edited by S.P.G; 02-17-2007 at 08:21 AM.

I am cutting, so right now cardio is more important. I have a long history with diet and working out, so I know a little. I am in a situation right now where, like I said, I have to work out first thing in the morning. It's not hard for me to eat first thing, I just don't want to eat so much that my cardio is ineffective because my glycogen stores are not depleted.

When I was very active in weight lifting / cardio a couple years ago, my only pre workout meal would be a half cup of oats or a cup of brown rice. This was done about 45 min. - 1 hour before I lifted weights. (I used to have the luxury of cardio in the am and weights in the pm).

to be honest its your whole nutrition protocol that you should be looking at to determine your success, not just that one meal whether its loosing or gaining weight, if you see what I mean.

moderate carbs, and protein should be ok work with 75% of your MHR 35-45m
    Last edited by S.P.G; 02-17-2007 at 11:16 AM.

I see / know what you mean. I was always under the impression that timing plays a key role in everything too. I have never lived by the cals in cals out method. I was raised ( by AR members) to believe that it's not just what you eat, but when you eat it.

I will be doing some sort of hitt cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrantred94gt
    I see / know what you mean. I was always under the impression that timing plays a key role in everything too. I have never lived by the cals in cals out method. I was raised ( by AR members) to believe that it's not just what you eat, but when you eat it.

I will be doing some sort of hitt cardio.
    Dude! im not suggesting that what I’ve typed is the bee all and end all, far from it, this is JMO.

im not saying that timing isn’t important, all im saying is that you don’t win the game in the first five minuets, you win by playing strategically throughout.

if you were I was raised by AR members then you have been raised well.

Thanks Bro!

csavage0 is offline Member
    I dont know if anyone else said this but oats are complex carbs. You should eat them and some sort of protein and a good fat like from a egg yolk as well. Also a multivitamin and flax seed is good to go along with everything I mentioned before.

Thread Information