dookses is offline Junior Member

treading water for cardio

My bro/regular workout partner is most likely going into the coast guard this summer. Recently we started cutting out different types of cardio in favor of treading water in a pool. We normally spend about an hour in the pool, and we've been adding stuff every other session to make it more difficult (wearing a long sleeve shirt, pants, etc).

So anyway, my question is what do you all think of this for a cardio workout? It's very low impact, it does tend to get very difficult towards the end of each session and after a good hour session I find myself absolutely exhausted that night after the workout and sometimes even the next morning after.

I guess I forgot to say we usually do this after we're done lifting..

Another question, might be the wrong forum but I'm sure someone can answer it. I use cellmass as a post workout supplement, should I take the cellmass before doing my hour of cardio or just wait until I get home and do it then? I've been waiting until I get home but I could just as easily bring it with me to the gym.

Thanks, bros.

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    I think its great but after a while it probably wont get the heartrate pumping like an elliptical machine for example would. I think to switch things up its a great idea but I personally think there are other more effective forms of cardio. Even swimming laps in the pool is great but to keep the heart rate low you probably dont want to go full speed.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    im not 100% sure but I think as far as being good for the heart/cardiovascular system it would be ok

unfortunatly And this is if im right which i could be wrong swimming isnt good for fat burning because your body is at a cooler temp due to the water.

I know what you mean about it not getting the heart rate pumping after awhile. We started noticing that after the first couple days, which why we then started doing it with thick shirts on, then we added long sleeve shirts, then we added heavy socks. Soon enough I think we'll be doing it in full sweats which will be killer. Adding certain things adds a two-fold challenge because it adds a bit of weight/drag and if you've ever tried swimming with clothes on you know it just makes it more difficult to propel yourself.

Adding shoes would be a bitch, too.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    it will provide cardio but it is nothing as compared to swimming laps, i say it is mediocore at best, not a great choice

Yea.. I've been wei***ng treading water vs swimming laps in my head. And obviously minute for minute swimming laps would be much better. But I doubt I could swim laps at any decent pace for an hour straight.

Is it possible that the extended time periods help to make up for its lack of intensity?

hmm. thats supposed to be "wei-g-h-ing"

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    try it with a pack, BDU's, and combat boots on. If it doesnt increase your heart rate, it will either stop it entirely or teach you to hold your breath longer. lol...

Quote Originally Posted by dookses
    Yea.. I've been wei***ng treading water vs swimming laps in my head. And obviously minute for minute swimming laps would be much better. But I doubt I could swim laps at any decent pace for an hour straight.

Is it possible that the extended time periods help to make up for its lack of intensity?
    not eally. you probably would get more doing laps for 10 minutes than treading water for an hour, time doenst mean much, it is time and intensitytogether. if i tap my foot for 8hours would that equal out to half hour of running? no it wouldnt.

But what about an hour of jogging vs 10min of sprints?

But what about an hour of jogging vs 10min of sprints?
    in this case the jogging would work more because jogging is alot better of a choice of cardio than treading water, there are a lot of variables in the equation you have to factor in

but back to the orignal, treading water for cardio,, not so good
    laps better

Haha, alright. I guess i need to rethink my cardio then. I'm not a big fan of laps for one reason or another. Think I'll switch to just jogging and rowing.

Haha, alright. I guess i need to rethink my cardio then. I'm not a big fan of laps for one reason or another. Think I'll switch to just jogging and rowing.
    do 15 min of laps and than do another 15 - 30 treading water. just dont only do treading, split it up

Thread Information