Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    fossilfuel7 is offline Member

should I do cardio(running) a few hours after workout or not at all that day?

For the past couple of weeks I have been running for about 20-25 minutes in an effort to lean out.. about 2-3 hours after my workout.

Is this ok?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    You should do it right after while you metabolism is ramped up and your glycogen stores are low. You will burn fat more effectively that way.

Ok.. I was unsure about that...thanks man!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fossilfuel7
    Ok.. I was unsure about that...thanks man!
    Your welcome any time.

Danny626 is offline Junior Member
    muscle science....would u take ur protein shake before cardio or the speed walk? or after it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny626
    muscle science....would u take ur protein shake before cardio or the speed walk? or after it?
    Well it kinda ***ends on what your goals are. If you are doing cardio just to maintain cardiovascular fitness and put on LBM then you could take it directly after weight training. If however your trying to loss fat mass then you should refrain from eating up to an hour after you finish any exercise. A couple recent studies that I saw in the Journal of strenght and conditioning and research quarterly showed that individuals that refrained from eating for an hour after exercise showed more fat loss than those who ate directly after or vs control.

I also saw a paper that showed that when you take a protein drink or bar before weight training that those individuals that did so had increase lbm over those who didnt.

Personally I dont think my stomach could handle protein shake before cardio.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    Well it kinda ***ends on what your goals are. If you are doing cardio just to maintain cardiovascular fitness and put on LBM then you could take it directly after weight training. If however your trying to loss fat mass then you should refrain from eating up to an hour after you finish any exercise. A couple recent studies that I saw in the Journal of strenght and conditioning and research quarterly showed that individuals that refrained from eating for an hour after exercise showed more fat loss than those who ate directly after or vs control.

I also saw a paper that showed that when you take a protein drink or bar before weight training that those individuals that did so had increase lbm over those who didnt.

Personally I dont think my stomach could handle protein shake before cardio.
    I agree w/ you on not eating (carbs at least) post cardio but I dont do this, I go ahead and eat cause usually Ive got shit to do later that day so I eat normaly afterwards, I used to do this but it was to much of a hassle for me.

I think if you've got a decent amount of muscle mass (+ the fact im a natural ecto) your metabolizm should be humming right along anyway.

I guess it comes down to the individual and form over function.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    BTW I love doing cardio right after lifting, It dosent take long for me to breath harder and sweat more vs if I just wake up and go do cardio at some random time of day,

always feel like I worked harder doing the same pace/intensity....

Danny626 is offline Junior Member
    i agree.cardio right after high intensity workout.is wayy better then just wakin up and going for a run...i get that running pump way fasterr!!

Thanks guys!

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    not eating after pre WO cardio is a great way to lose muscle. If you want to look like a stick insect then go ahead.
    If your aim is to retain muscle then keep cardio to light sessions in the AM on an empty stomach then eat breakfast afterwards. Weights later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    not eating after pre WO cardio is a great way to lose muscle. If you want to look like a stick insect then go ahead.
    If your aim is to retain muscle then keep cardio to light sessions in the AM on an empty stomach then eat breakfast afterwards. Weights later in the day.

Yeah...I want to retain my muscle and its not a problem to do my cardio in the AM ..so I will probably do that.

Thanks Beast!

Thread Information