Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    anabollocks is offline New Member

first time @ gym

Hi,

I went to the gym for the first time today and i plan on going 6 days a week from now on because it feels great and all the pictures in the members pictures forum have inspired me.

When i went today i worked my arms and chest but after about 30 mins my arms were completely fatigued. I was just doing dumbbell curls, flat dumbbell flys and bench press.

I would do the exercise for sets of 12 - 8 - 6 with a 1 min break between sets, then move on to the next exercise, then when all of the exercises are completed i would go back to the first one and increase the weight.

So my question is: is this normal for a beginner to only go for 30mins or so? is my rest break long enough? is it ok only doing 3 exercises?

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    We don't know your stats... a "beginner" could be so many things... but if you're a true beginner, concentrate on your cardio for the first two weeks. Then work in some body weight exercises... push ups, pull ups, dips, squats.

It is now that you progress into the weights... form being the most important and priority... only perform compound exercises for the first month... no isolation and no unillateral work... build a good foundation and the rest will fall into place

Godson is offline Associate Member
    stats?

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    Why do you need his stats?

Stabone is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Johny-too-small
    Why do you need his stats?

EXACTLY!!!!! WTF

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    i don't think you need his stats for this one. you would fatigued quickly cause you are not use to it. same as when your not a runner and they tell you to run 20km same thing.

your body will adjust!

good luck with your training

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    congrats on making it to the gym, take some time to learn some proper splits so you are not overtraining. I've been weight training for 25 years and I don't lift 6 days a week. I know some do, but I don't. If you did curls, flys, and bench on your first day your alread hit some bicep, tricep, and chest, so you want to rest those muscles for a few days before hitting them again. Do some reading in the workout forum and maybe split things up a bit differently, but it's great that you started. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaGetBigger
    congrats on making it to the gym, take some time to learn some proper splits so you are not overtraining. I've been weight training for 25 years and I don't lift 6 days a week. I know some do, but I don't. If you did curls, flys, and bench on your first day your alread hit some bicep, tricep, and chest, so you want to rest those muscles for a few days before hitting them again. Do some reading in the workout forum and maybe split things up a bit differently, but it's great that you started. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

i agree, i have gone 3 days a week for the past year and half and have seen great results...my opinion is not to go more then 3-4 days a week when u start.

it will help you from burning out too quick and you wont be made to feel like you have to go 6 days a week to get results

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by anabollocks
    Hi,

I went to the gym for the first time today and i plan on going 6 days a week from now on because it feels great and all the pictures in the members pictures forum have inspired me.

When i went today i worked my arms and chest but after about 30 mins my arms were completely fatigued. I was just doing dumbbell curls, flat dumbbell flys and bench press.

I would do the exercise for sets of 12 - 8 - 6 with a 1 min break between sets, then move on to the next exercise, then when all of the exercises are completed i would go back to the first one and increase the weight.

So my question is: is this normal for a beginner to only go for 30mins or so? is my rest break long enough? is it ok only doing 3 exercises?
    yes to all your questions

Thread Information