2timer is offline Senior Member

HR QUESTION on treatmill?

I have question on HR(heart Rate). when ever I am on the treadmill I always wonder why my heart rate is so low despite me doing the treadmill quite fast. With coffee and eca I can barely hit 125. and without I be around 105. as I train with my partner, he be hitting 190 200. I look at other people they are hitting 170-180, 160. I was wondering why is my heart so low despite peddling like 6(which is pretty fast). The workout partner does 5 speed and he is sweating liek crazy and heart rate is like 190. Why is that?

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Try putting the treadmill up on an incline. Your workout partner is going too fast for fat loss, he's getting into the anaerobic zone where his body starts to break down amino acids for energy... extremely bad. Whats your age?

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Try putting the treadmill up on an incline. Your workout partner is going too fast for fat loss, he's getting into the anaerobic zone where his body starts to break down amino acids for energy... extremely bad. Whats your age?
    I am 26. any more suggestions?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Try increasing the grade on the treadmill. There could be several factors to why you your not getting a higher rate.

1. the HR monitor isnt accurate
    2. your in good shape and its to low of an intensity
    3. You have some sort of heart condition

if the first two turn out not to be it. You need to consult a doctor and have them perform a 12 lead ECG stress test. That way they can tell if there is any electrical anomalies with the heart.

Not trying to alarm you, I have seen some funny readings where the heart rate appears low on a heart rate monitor only to find that there is just an conductive anomaly in the heart somewhere.

Its not normal for the heart rate to be that low at that high of an intensity of exercise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Not amino acids, you break carbs in the anaerobic metabolism. It takes to long for amino's to be converted into a usable energy source.

But you are right he is way to high to be burning fat effectively.

what should I tell the doc. I live in Canada its different how things work with docs.

although I be running since I was 16. I am in decent shape off and on.

Blog Entries
    Tell him when you exercise that you heart rate is abnormally low and your concerned there may be a problem. It would probably be better if you could find an exercise physiologist and have them do a stress test on you. But they generally work at university labs or at heart clinics.

Do you ever get light headed when you exercise or have a heavy pounding in your chest?

Blog Entries
    yeah but at 125 bpm when you exercise hard, that is way low.

Most endurance athletes heart rates during exercise rise slower than untrained individuals but what really makes them different is that they can exercise and perform at heart rates of 90 % or above for long durations of time.

I have done blood pressure and hb which seems really good. 120/80 with 60 heart beat. I do get light headed but I always thought that do low carb and dieting.

Blog Entries
    Im going to look through some of my clinical books. I have never seen a heart rate that low with the intensities that you describe. Your BP is normal, your resting heart rate is to high to for me to consider that your a super fit athlete. Not saying 60 bpm resting is bad, it is normal. But marathoners I have tested have heart rates in the low 40's.

Blog Entries
    Your not on any meds right now are you? A low exercising heart rate is something we would see in someone on beta blockers. Other than that there could be a problem with para-sympathetic with-drawl. Which would cause your heart rate to never climb higher than 120 bpm. But that is extremely rare and I have never seen it even in heart transplant patients.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    Your not on any meds right now are you? A low exercising heart rate is something we would see in someone on beta blockers. Other than that there could be a problem with para-sympathetic with-drawl. Which would cause your heart rate to never climb higher than 120 bpm. But that is extremely rare and I have never seen it even in heart transplant patients.

this is scarying me. what do u think it is? I been taking eca on and off for 4 five years I hope its not because of that? still I do speed the same levl as my partner and he is hitting 190-200 and I am like 125-130.

DjDan is offline New Member
    If u want your HR in the anaerobic/aerobic side of the house. try intervals. either using the treadmill on manual setting or the pre-programed interval. Its a great workout. you have so many options. You can work your self really hard and not hit the high end of the aerobic end.

an example on a tread mill is set the on Hills setting w/ middle Resistance level and maintain a good comfortable rpms w/in a certain range no matter what the incline setting. u'll get the hang of kicking ur own ass fast its great... its the only thing i do now.

if u like the outdoors and ur on an oval track.... go balls out on the straight-aways and jog the corners for an "x" amount of distance. or if u have hills near you sprint up them jog down, if u need more then jog up & down for what ever amounts u need. take away or extend rest times as need to keep u more anaerobic than aerobic

Thread Information