3-split, some help?

exercise day 1
    Chest/Tris/Abbs

Incline BB
    6X3

Flat DB Flys

Decline BB
    6X3

Abbs, giving me a few minutes rest before tris.
    Crunches
    3X20

Hanging Knee Ups
    3X20

Skull Crushers

Kick Backs
    10X3

Exercise day 2
    Back/Sholders/Bis

Lat pulldowns

Seated rows
    6X3

DB Military press
    8X3

Bentover Rows
    6X3

Shrugs
    10X3

BB bi curls

Exercise day 3
    Legs/Lowers Back

Squats

Leg Ext
    8X3

Still leg deads
    6X3

most of the time ill throw in some a**uctor
    i hit calvs 3 days a week mostly on off days with some light cardio and more abbs.

please critique-Bradly

sonnygll is offline Member
    Well the main thing is you need to quit thinking about calves and abs like they are some kind of strange magic muscle. They are the same as other muscles. If you train everything once a week, train them once a week too. The high rep stuff people do for them is a waste too. 12 or under for hypertrophy. You have to use some real weight to get them to grow. Like with abs, do situps on a decline bench with a heavy weight plate. That's if you even want to isolate them. Squats and deadlifts should get your abs as big as you want them.

Then other than that, I try to do more barbell/dumbbell and less cable and machines. I'd trim out some of that isolation and do more sets of the mass builders.

As for splits, it's not too bad, but it is set up to be awful isolation heavy and light on legs. I like to do 3 day splits more like this.

day 1, pushing and pressing, i.e. bench and incline, bent over rows, chins, overhead press, rear delt rows.

day 2, squats, shoulder elevation and arms, i.e. squats, MAYBE another quad exercise, but more sets of squats is probably better, lateral raise or upright row, shrugs, direct biceps, triceps and forearms.

day 3, the rest of lower body, i.e. romanian deadlift, something for inner thighs like a sumo deadlift or wide squat, calf press or calf raise.

I generally find it better to do more sets of the better exercises and skip the easy crap. Keeping direct shoulder and arm work to a minimum also, since they already got worked with chest and back.

Bradly1234 is offline Associate Member
    the thing is, i have trouble getting my sholders porpotionate with the rest of my upper body esp my arms so i work hard on military press.

thanks for the info especially for the abbs and calves, it gets annoying doing them 3 times a week

Quote Originally Posted by Bradly1234
    the thing is, i have trouble getting my sholders porpotionate with the rest of my upper body esp my arms so i work hard on military press.

thanks for the info especially for the abbs and calves, it gets annoying doing them 3 times a week
    Well bringing up a lagging part is another story. In that case including more direct shoulder work is appropriate. The question is, which head is the problem? Or do all 3 need help?

all three, but mostly its the front

For front delts, overhead pressing of some sort is the best. For sides, lateral raises are good. Rear delt rows are the best for rear delts.

Try this superset. It is a little front delt heavy, but hits all 3 heads, and all 3 heads of the traps, and uses abs and lower back a bit for stabilization.
    It is a hang clean and press superset with a rear delt row. The clean and press is kind of light on rear delts, hence the reason for the superset.

You pull the bar from the floor like a deadlift only on the first rep. Then you clean the bar, then press it overhead, lower it in 2 separate motions and then clean and press from there, without doing the deadlift portion. So you don't put the bar back on the floor until the set is done. Then you go right into the rear delt row. You use a snatch grip (wide), and you have your upper body completely parallel to the floor. Then you lift the bar straight up to your chest. You won't be able to get many reps, but thats ok. Don't take the clean and press part to failure, but you can on the rear delt part.

Then maybe a set or 2 of seated dumbbell overhead press if you want.

thanks alot, ill let you know how this goes it will be day 1, so monday so ill get back to this thread then.

Thread Information