jp_o'connell is offline New Member

your views for a newb

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the site (its great by the way) and also to training and wanted to get some views on the best way to start off.

I joined the gym last week and have just been pottering around getting used to the stuff in the gym and the different types of workouts and movements etc.

My goals are to gain size and strength with emphasis on the size to start off.

Now i feel i know roughly what im doing with the equipment and wanted to know the best way of starting a programme.
    I have read a few different things on here about 3 day workouts and 5 day splits now from what ive read i think the 3 day would be better for a complete newbie like myself to start off on ? would you say that was correct ? or should i pile straight in on the 5 day split routine with somthing like "The slingshot training system"

I am 23, 5 8" and weigh exactly 10 stone.
    i am just in the process of getting a diet sorted out and will have that posted in the next week to be looked at.

I do not intend on doing any sort of steroid for quite some time untill i am completly happy that i have reached my natural limits and im confident i know what im doing.
    i will be using creatine, whey protein etc but for now thats as far as the supps will go.

any help would be great and any comments on which routine to start off on would be most helpful.
    all the best,

jim..

sonnygll is offline Member
    Whey is fine. You don't need creatine yet though. No point in taking that until next year. I would keep the protein intake over 180 grams a day. Nothing wrong with having more though. As for a ball park figure, your caloric intake should be in the low 3000's, depending on activity level. From your stats I am inferring that you are fairly lean, so the typical bulking macro ratios are probably good for you. But keep in mind high activity like playing sports requires more carbs. Eating 5 to 8 times is a good rule of thumb. I tend to do 6 or 7 myself. Have lean protein at every meal. I'd have the carbs pretty high for meal 1 and real low for the last meal or 2. The only time to avoid fats would be post workout. 60 grams of simple carbs is good to have with some whey at that time. Shakes are a good tool. Most of your nutrition should come from whole food. Eat plenty of meat, all varieties. Stick with complex, low GI type carbs at meals other then post workout. Like oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat breads and pastas, yams, veggies and so on.

For your workout, a 3 day full body program using low volume and mostly compound free weight lifts is the best starting point.

something like this.
    flat bench 2 sets
    incline bench 2
    bent over row 2
    chins/pullups or pulldowns 2
    squat 3
    romanian deadlift 3
    calf press or standing raise 3
    a little direct shoulder and arm work, like maybe a set each of shrugs, lateral raises, barbell curls, dumbbell hammer curls and dips.

Try the 8 to 10 rep range for now. Alternate barbell and dumbbell each day on the chest exercises. Alternate overhand and underhand grip every set or each day on the upper/mid back exercises.

Beginners usually experience pretty rapid gains in size and strength that first year.

Thanks for that reply thats very informative.
    I will give the 3 day all over body workout a go then to start things off and get my diet in check as my very first thing to do.

I will have to find out what some of those workouts are you mentioned like the romanian deadlifts
    but im sure its coverd on here somwhere so i will do a search on different types of workout.

Thanks again for the info dude,

Jim..

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    You need to eat a lot... post your diet in the diet forum for critique.

sonnygll is offline Member

yep i am getting my diet sorted infact i think ive got it done which im posting up soon.

thanks for the deadlift info.

jim..

Thread Information