Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    UberSoldat is offline Junior Member
    Yeah this is a da*n nice post man. Great job posting it. Lots of thing I learned about... Especially about calories ... I started to worry about all the **** calories im eating... MAde think all over again about my diet. I dont wanna get bitch tits from beeing fat. Anyways ... Great Post !!

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    bump,im on a good old thread bump for the new guys.

c_ville is offline Associate Member
    I learned a few things.. thanks for the post, Ronnie.

flexgolf is offline Member

excellent!

This is an awesome post! Much of this information was common sense to me, but I was particularly interested in the section pertaining to rest time between sets. I have been training for about 4 years with a minute between each set and I do heavy sets (heavy for me at least). I guess I need to start resting more.....do you know of any articles I can readily access that have more information on this topic? Thanks for your time.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    I can't believe this post is still being bumped. Haha...good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RoNNy THe BuLL
    I can't believe this post is still being bumped. Haha...good stuff.
    Its a good general overview that everyone should read at least once....why not bump it?

diezell is offline Senior Member
    one of the best posts ive seen in awhile

Quote Originally Posted by flexgolf
    Its a good general overview that everyone should read at least once....why not bump it?
    The only reason I'm laughing is that I think this has been the oldest thread that has been bumped the most frequent. I dunno why it's not a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by RoNNy THe BuLL
    The only reason I'm laughing is that I think this has been the oldest thread that has been bumped the most frequent. I dunno why it's not a sticky.
    I agree, if i had any clout I would make it a sticky.

I'm gonna bump this again for the new guys to take a look at.

lcpl kill is offline Associate Member
    awsome, now i know that my muscle didnt disappear after my shoulder surgery.

zoso428 is offline Associate Member
    5-10 days rest for sum body parts..i disagree

_Tiger_ is offline Member
    K i dont get it...how are you supposed to grow w/out a high ass intake of calories (like it said)...

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Why would you need super high calories to grow?

"You need to eat big to get big".....all body builders (that I know) eat a SH*TLOAD to gain mass.....how the Fvck would you get big without calories.....

If you eat a shitload....Your gonna put on mass alright, plenty of fat too....Why not make it far more precise....When you are cutting you try to lose about 1lb per week at 500cal deficit. Same principal goes for a lean bulk, eat about 500 and try to get a 1lb a week. No one said don't eat, but you can gain with far less calories than you think. If you are in a calorie surplus you will gain. Now there's other factors like somatype that are involved, but that varies from person to person.

damn thats crazy to me, i feel like one of the most "Basic" things about building is kinda a myth....so try to get like 500 surplus of calories a day? (sorry if this is "ste****g" the thread, it just brought some pretty serious questions to mind..)

That's what I'd say, I mean you can always over eat and just eat a shit load, but whatr happens when your body can't use all those cals. They are going to be used as fat! You can only build so much muscle, at that point all extra will be used to build fat. When cutting and bulking its best to take a slow and steady approach...Results will be far better that way...I'd say start at 500 over, and see how that goes and adjust from there. If you wanna all out bulk and don't care about fat gain the disregard everything I said and immeadiately go get a tub of Ice Cream and a huge Rib Eye

Flexor is offline Banned
    great,

good to know there is no point trying to get a peak on my biceps, i'll just work them the way i am

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanStew
    damn thats crazy to me, i feel like one of the most "Basic" things about building is kinda a myth....so try to get like 500 surplus of calories a day? (sorry if this is "ste****g" the thread, it just brought some pretty serious questions to mind..)
    Hay, look at it like this, like I said to someone ells in the diet forum...

i take it that your bulking at the moment, time to eat everything you can hu, burgers, hotdogs, crisps, cakes, don’t be bothered by what you eat your bulking right, it doesn’t mater what you eat WRONG!. What you are trying to do while bulking is to gain muscle, Not gain fat. To do this, some people eat above and beyond their maintenance calorie requirement this is the amount of calories they need throughout the day. Sometimes all these "extra calories" do is cause you to gain fat, not muscle. This is the complete opposite of what you are trying to do, I hope. Also it’s good to remind your self that muscle gain doesn’t come to rapidly so after a few weeks of bulking when you get on the scales and they tell you that you’ve gained a stone, much of this very well may be body fat. As we all Know to well, fat is as easy to gain as it is to consume.
    Last edited by S.P.G; 06-26-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    great info!!!

Keep in mind that this article was written quite a few years ago, things have changed since then. It wasn't too long ago that I remember bulking up meant being on the "See-Food Diet", you see it, you eat it. You would worry about dropping the fat after you put on the weight.

Nowadays, everything is cleaner. But three years ago, that was the norm. Bottom line, things change. So if out of 30 lies there's one that doesn't sit well with you, relax.

NicoDerm is offline New Member
    I had alot of questions until i read that. Great Post. Make this a sticky. Everyone noob needs to read this. Thanks for the info

Tags is offline Associate Member
    Man this thread's still alive??? lol... good thread, been around for quite some time now too

Abjo24 is offline New Member
    Bump, long but good read.

Tuco the ugly is offline New Member
    Bump, great info. I'm going to print it and keep it.

dhriscerr is offline Senior Member
    BUMP good read for new guys getting into lifting

Thin Ice is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

Awesome! Yeah, I'll bump this. The bit about overtraining may explain the fact that I feel more muscle soreness in my upper body, but I get more strength increases in my lower body.

vuff mags is offline New Member
    great reading very educational

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    bump good read

Wow. This thing is still getting bumped after this long.

I haven't posted in months, but I have been around reading the boards.

Good to be back...I can't believe how much this board has changed.

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    great read!!

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    bump just for them 2 lol vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

4 -- The more you work out, the more you'll grow.
    No, no no. This is one of the most damaging myths that ever reared its ugly head. 95% of the pros will tell you that the biggest bodybuilding mistake they ever made was to over-train--and this happened even when they were taking steroids . Imagine how easy it is for the natural athlete to overtrain! When you train your muscles too often for them to heal, the end-result is zero growth and perhaps even losses. Working out every day, if you're truly using the proper amount of intensity, will lead to gross overtraining. A body part, worked properly, ie. worked to complete, total muscular failure that recruited as many muscle fibers as physiologically possible, can take 5-10 days to heal.
    To take it a step further, even working a different body part in the next few days might constitute overtraining. If you truly work your quads to absolute fiber-tearing failure, doing another power workout the next day that entails heavy bench-presses or deadlifts is going to, in all probability, inhibit gains. After a serious leg workout, your whole system mobilizes to heal and recover from the blow you've dealt it. How, then, can the body be expected to heal from an equally brutal workout the next day? It can't, at least not without using some drugs to help deal with the catabolic processes going on in your body [and even they're usually not enough .]
    Learn to accept rest as a valuable part of your workout. You should probably spend as many days out of the gym as you do in it.

5 -- The longer you work out, the better.
    It just isn't necessary to do 20-30 sets for a body part, or even 10 sets like many 'experts' would have you believe. In fact, research has shown that it's possible to completely fatigue a muscle in one set, provided that that set taxes a muscle completely, ie. incorporates as many muscle fibers as possible and takes them to the point of ischemic rigour where, rather than contract and relax, the muscle fibers freeze up, sort of like a microscopic version of rigor mortis. Any further contraction causes microscopic tearing. Hypertrophy is just one adaption to this kind of stress and it's naturally the kind most bodybuilders are interested in.
    This kind of intensity can usually be achieved by doing drop or break-down sets where you rep out, lower the weight, and continue doing reps until you either can't do another rep or you've run out of weight. It can also be achieved by doing your maximum number of reps on a particular exercise: by a combination of will, tenacity, and short rest periods, you complete ten more reps. You achieve the short rest periods by locking out the weight-bearing joint in question without putting the weight down. In other words, completely surpass your normal pain and energy thresholds.
    If you can truly work your muscle to the point described, it will afford you little, if any, benefit to do another set (Westcott, 1986). The exception would be the body parts that are so big that they have distinct geographical areas, like the back, which obviously has an upper, middle and lower part. The chest might also fall into this category, as it has a distinct upper and lower part, each with different insertion points.

noitnes is offline Junior Member
    Glad this old thread is still on top... got some great stuff I wouldn't have gotten to read if it wasn't

Should be sticky imo.

Bumping this back from the way back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information