oker is offline Associate Member

Pls look at my routine - any tweaking suggs?

Monday – Chest & Shoulders set/rep

CHEST:
    Barbell Flat Press 4/8
    Dumbbell Incline Press 3/8-10
    Incline Dumbbell Flies 3/8-10
    Pull Over 1/to failure

SHOULDERS:
    Military Press 3/8
    Dumbbell Lat R. 3/8
    Dum. Reverse Fly 3/8
    Dumbbell Shrugs 1/to failure

Wednesday – Biceps & Triceps

TRICEPS:
    Triceps Dip (bench) 3/8-10
    Triceps Extension (skull crusher) 3/8-10
    Close Grip Bench 3/8-10
    Kick back 3/8-10

BICEPS:
    Standing Barbell Curl (wide) 3/8
    Preacher Curls/EZ bar) 3/8
    Dumbbell Incline Curl 3/8
    Concentration Curl 3/8

Friday – Legs & Back

LEGS:
    Full Squats (90 second rest) 3/8
    Leg Curls (light) 3/15
    Leg Extensions (heavy) 3/8
    Dead Lifts 3/8
    Stand Calf Raises 3/8

BACK:
    Bent Over Row 3/8
    Cambered Bar Lying Row 3/8
    One Arm Dumbbell Row 3/8
    Good Mornings (bent over) 3/8

I go hard on each day each workout lasts for 30-45 minutes. Also ride the stationary bike 5 times a week. Does anyone have any tweaking suggestions?
    Last edited by oker; 03-31-2008 at 10:19 PM.

lotaquestions is offline Banned
    id lower my reps on alot of my core lifts (bench,squats,etc.) also where are your deadlifts. and probally add reps on your bis/tris. do you only have time to train 3x a week?

Quote Originally Posted by lotaquestions View Post
    id lower my reps on alot of my core lifts (bench,squats,etc.) also where are your deadlifts. and probally add reps on your bis/tris. do you only have time to train 3x a week?
    Yeah, I run my own business which consumes a lot of my time - I could squeeze in 4 days if I re-arranged my schedule a little. Does anyone think a 4 day split is better than 4? any particular reason/s?

Deadlifts, listed as last ex on leg day above (more of a "to failure" exercise), more reps to bis and tris less on the core lifts, got it - cheers bro. Any one else wanna take a stab at my WO?

bumb

look like it is just me....
    -put deads with your back/straileg deadlifts with you legs (that could have been what u where saying idno
    -if you are going to work out 3 days a week i would gear my work out more toward an upperbody and lower body split and work your arms in there
    -im curently doing a 3-1-3 split(i work for myself also) chest/tris bis/back shoulders/legs off day tris/chest back/bis legs/shoulders--the body part listed first i focus on on that day: 4 exercises 4 sets- 2 ex 3 sets
    -dont use the same number of sets/reps every week

hope it makes since

look like it is just me....
    -put deads with your back/straileg deadlifts with you legs (that could have been what u where saying idno
    -if you are going to work out 3 days a week i would gear my work out more toward an upperbody and lower body split and work your arms in there
    -im curently doing a 3-1-3 split(i work for myself also) chest/tris bis/back shoulders/legs off day tris/chest back/bis legs/shoulders--the body part listed first i focus on on that day: 4 exercises 4 sets- 2 ex 3 sets
    -dont use the same number of sets/reps every week

hope it makes since
    yeah that's cool bro, not sure about the 3-1-3 split, though. It wouldn't be possible for me as I do most of my business weekend and your routine would fall on those days occasionally. My WO's have to be Mon to Fri, which is why I do 3 days - I was thinking about increasing that to 4, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri (Wed Day off). Any suggestions for a routine on these days? Or, how I would work in lower and upper body into those 3 days? Cheers in advance
    Last edited by oker; 03-31-2008 at 11:35 PM.

green22 is offline Senior Member
    Legs and Back together???? no way man!!! you are short changing your self big time. You only have 6 direct sets for quads, they are you biggest and strongest muscles that can take the most abuse. Split back and legs up with a couple days between. In other words dont work back on tues and then legs on wed.

Quote Originally Posted by oker View Post
    yeah that's cool bro, not sure about the 3-1-3 split, though. It wouldn't be possible for me as I do most of my business weekend and your routine would fall on those days occasionally. My WO's have to be Mon to Fri, which is why I do 3 days - I was thinking about increasing that to 4, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri (Wed Day off). Any suggestions for a routine on these days? Or, how I would work in lower and upper body into those 3 days? Cheers in advance
    yeah the 3-1-3 is tough but they are not set in stone, if i need a break or something ill take a day off, and start back the next day on schedual. if i do miss consecutive days i skip the one of the ones that focus on my arms b/c they are my lighter ones.

my 4 day split used to be chest, back/bi, shoulders/tris, legs.

also i dont know if you didnt include it but when do you hit abs?

yeah the 3-1-3 is tough but they are not set in stone, if i need a break or something ill take a day off, and start back the next day on schedual. if i do miss consecutive days i skip the one of the ones that focus on my arms b/c they are my lighter ones.

my 4 day split used to be chest, back/bi, shoulders/tris, legs.

also i dont know if you didnt include it but when do you hit abs?
    Green, I don't train back that hard as it is my most gifted asset, meaning it's quite abnormally large already...comes from 3 generations of swimmers. lotaquestions, yeah bro I didn't mention it but abs are a given, I do 3 sets of 15 reps on the ab blaster at the end of each workout...enough do you think or to much?

OK, I have revised my WO to the 4 day split - what do you think of the new additions bro?

Monday – Chest, Abs
    CHEST:

Dumbbell Incline Press 3/8
    Barbell Incline Press 3/8
    Flat Dumbbell Flies 3/8
    Pull Over (hands one dumbbell) 1/to failure

Tuesday – Back, Biceps, Abs
    BACK:

Bent Over Row 3/10
    Cambered Bar Lying Row 3/8
    One arm Dumbbell row 3/8
    Straight leg good morning 1/to failure

BICEPS:
    Dumbbell incline curl 3/12
    EZ Bar curl (wide grip) 3/12
    Concentration curl 3/12
    EZ Curl (close grip) (to failure)

Thurday – Shoulders, Triceps Abs
    SHOULDERS:

Military Press (front delts) 3/8
    Dumbbell Lat R. 3/8
    Dum. Reverse Fly 3/8
    Dumbbell Shrugs 3/8
    Upright Rows (to failure)

TRICEPS:
    Triceps Dip 3/8
    Close Grip Bench 3/12-15
    Lying Triceps Extension 3/12-15
    Kick Back 3/10

Friday – Legs, Abs
    LEGS:

Full Squats 3/12
    Leg Extensions 3/12
    Leg Curls 3/12
    Dead Lifts 3/8-12

looks better to me, like the split of body parts alot better. you left out flat bench and went with 2 different kinds of incline. look at that still, idk if your upperchest is needing extra work or not, but you dont want to leave out flat bench (dum or bar) every week. i like it though looks simulare to my old workout. make sure to mix up your sets and reps every week. you may not always want to stick to 3x8 etc. i change something in my work outs every week. start with high reps go lower keep your muscels guessing.

looks good, try it and see how it works. let your body tell you what works and keep me posted on results

looks better to me, like the split of body parts alot better. you left out flat bench and went with 2 different kinds of incline. look at that still, idk if your upperchest is needing extra work or not, but you dont want to leave out flat bench (dum or bar) every week. i like it though looks simulare to my old workout. make sure to mix up your sets and reps every week. you may not always want to stick to 3x8 etc. i change something in my work outs every week. start with high reps go lower keep your muscels guessing.

looks good, try it and see how it works. let your body tell you what works and keep me posted on results
    yeah cheers bro that's brilliant - thanks for all your help. Last question, should I train Abs hard on each day of a WO, or is it better a few days a week hard and a few days light?

my abs tend to cramp if i work them out every day and they are the #1 most over trained muscel, but you can train them more than others. i break mine down into sections, upper (incline/ball crunch etc.) and lower and obliques and rotate them, i sometimes skip them all together b/c of cramps. they will also get alot of work during your squat and deadlifts.

my abs tend to cramp if i work them out every day and they are the #1 most over trained muscel, but you can train them more than others. i break mine down into sections, upper (incline/ball crunch etc.) and lower and obliques and rotate them, i sometimes skip them all together b/c of cramps. they will also get alot of work during your squat and deadlifts.
    Brilliant bro thanks again

Thread Information