Thread: trap recovery

chopper9451 is offline Associate Member

trap recovery

talking to a guy at the gym and he was sayin you can tear up your traps almost everyday. I figured they would need more recovery time than that. Are they similar to abs? work em every other day? need to catch them up to the rest of my body

teufelhundenjwa is offline Associate Member
    If your traps are a lagging body part, you could train them first in your workout split. Then hit them a 2nd time towards the end of your split. Prioritize them!
    Not sure about working any muscle group out daily, or every other day. I would think that to be too much. The whole "less is more" theory comes to mind. Remember, you grow outside the gym, not in it. Just my 2 cents.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you do traps on shoulder day and then do deadlifts on back day then you will be hitting traps twice a week. My traps get pretty sore...wouldn't work them out more than twice a week. Also as stated above, hitting them first thing on shoulder day will help them grow.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Working traps everyday; not a good idea.

You can definitely hit traps a few times a week with isolation exercises (i.e. shrugs, upright rows). However, IMO the best trap exercises are compound explosive lifts and deadlifts, which most definitely need a decent amount of time to recover properly.

sounds good. I used to through them in with a chest day or tri day. but I will give starting them out on my shoulder and back days. good info guys. thanks

anyone ever take 80lb dumbells and make a walk around the gym then shrug a set before you rack them? heard its a good trap workout as well as the stabilizers in your back

TR'05 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chopper9451 View Post
    anyone ever take 80lb dumbells and make a walk around the gym then shrug a set before you rack them? heard its a good trap workout as well as the stabilizers in your back
    Yep- farmer's walks. Fantastic trap, grip, forearm, conditioning exercise.

Thread Information