Thread: stretching

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BIGMAC250 is offline Associate Member

Question stretching

how important is it for growth.....i know it tears down the muscle and it helps more blood get to the muscle....but is it really that benificial to muscular developement.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Stretching PWO is not a bad Idea just so you lengthen out the muscles after they have been contracted. I have not seen a lot of good research on stretching significantly helping in muscle growth.

ilovesus is offline Member
    I usually try and streach after every couple sets

binder is offline Member
    stretching pre-workout is very beneficial. It helps maintain flexibility which reduces chance of injury. if you are injured you aren't going to grow.

i stretch a lot. i learned that growing up with my heavy swimming lifestyle.

i stretch the muscles between sets and i also do a post workout stretch to help reduce soreness.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by binder View Post
    stretching pre-workout is very beneficial. It helps maintain flexibility which reduces chance of injury. if you are injured you aren't going to grow.

i stretch a lot. i learned that growing up with my heavy swimming lifestyle.

i stretch the muscles between sets and i also do a post workout stretch to help reduce soreness.
    I'd go with WRONG here. Not PRE-workout...only post.

Studies have shown stretching can reduce muscle force by 30%. Go with post...after you have a pump. Look up extreme stretching.

Yea Ive Read That Too.....i Dont Ever Stretch Before Lifting I Just Hiot A Few Light Set And Then Im On My Way......im Just Curious To Know Exactly How Much It Benifits Your Muscle Growth......as Far As Being Sore The Next Day I Enjoy That Shit.....thats My Body Saying Your Gonna Grooowwwww

binder is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.N. View Post
    I'd go with WRONG here. Not PRE-workout...only post.

Studies have shown stretching can reduce muscle force by 30%. Go with post...after you have a pump. Look up extreme stretching.
    if you want muscle strains then go for it. It might reduce max presses because the muscle isn't as playable, but it doesn't promote mire growth. If you are talking on the terms of growth then ton need to research growth, not max Press. You have to stretch the muscles completely through its entire range to include all muscle fibers in the group. This is the reason for feeling a good stretch on fly or why you stand in a block when doing calf raises to stretch the muscle throughout its full range.

I've been a competitive athlete since 7 years old. USS swimming, not little league. I've worked with trainers and physical therapists from around the US and I've never once had one that said stretching is bad in a WORKOUT. Maxing out, I have no idea and don't care so much either.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    if you want muscle strains then go for it. It might reduce max presses because the muscle isn't as playable, but it doesn't promote mire growth. If you are talking on the terms of growth then ton need to research growth, not max Press. You have to stretch the muscles completely through its entire range to include all muscle fibers in the group. This is the reason for feeling a good stretch on fly or why you stand in a block when doing calf raises to stretch the muscle throughout its full range.

I've been a competitive athlete since 7 years old. USS swimming, not little league. I've worked with trainers and physical therapists from around the US and I've never once had one that said stretching is bad in a WORKOUT. Maxing out, I have no idea and don't care so much either.
    Read what I wrote again, please. I did not say DON'T stretch.

I said don't stretch PRE-WORKOUT. Meaning before your workout. Stretch away after your workout. Stretching pre-workout has even been shown to possibily promote more injuries.

You are talking about swimming and other sports. You can't draw the same comparison to weightlifting.

DeputyLoneWolf is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.N. View Post
    Read what I wrote again, please. I did not say DON'T stretch.

I said don't stretch PRE-WORKOUT. Meaning before your workout. Stretch away after your workout. Stretching pre-workout has even been shown to possibily promote more injuries.

You are talking about swimming and other sports. You can't draw the same comparison to weightlifting.

I totally agree.

DeputyLoneWolf is offline Associate Member

I think this has to wo with everyone being different. I stretch very little pre workout. but I do stretch during and post workout. I have done both and it seems to me that if I just warm up correctly, such as doing squats with 135lbs for 45 reps before doing working sets with 250+ I feel great. If however I stretch my legs a lot before squats, lunges and leg curls, I feel like I'm already tired and can't lift as much. Just what I've felt and like I said I'm sure everyomn is different.

binder is offline Member
    we have a very rigorus(sp) weight lifting routine with USS swimming. We go more for muscular endurance, but it's still weight lifting.

i'll agree with losing power due to stretching pre-workout on maxes, but for an overall workout and GROWTH which he asked for, you need to stretch the muscle in its entire range. To get maximum growth (not discussing power) you wouldn't do limited range of motion exercises. You might as additional, but most growth will occur when you can include all the fibers through the entire muscle.

I'm a competitive bodybuilder now, so I do know a thing or two about encouraging muscle growth as do the trainers and other competitors I train with. I'll believe the 3 ex-bodybuilding trainers that have masters degrees in exercise science before i'll beleive "claims" that don't have scientific evidence and research to back them. Any basic physiology book will back up range of motion in relation to maximum muscular growth and developement. Remember i'm negating max reps and power exercises. That's a whole different story. Most workouts aren't going to be all max exercises anyways.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    we have a very rigorus(sp) weight lifting routine with USS swimming. We go more for muscular endurance, but it's still weight lifting.

i'll agree with losing power due to stretching pre-workout on maxes, but for an overall workout and GROWTH which he asked for, you need to stretch the muscle in its entire range. To get maximum growth (not discussing power) you wouldn't do limited range of motion exercises. You might as additional, but most growth will occur when you can include all the fibers through the entire muscle.

I'm a competitive bodybuilder now, so I do know a thing or two about encouraging muscle growth as do the trainers and other competitors I train with. I'll believe the 3 ex-bodybuilding trainers that have masters degrees in exercise science before i'll beleive "claims" that don't have scientific evidence and research to back them. Any basic physiology book will back up range of motion in relation to maximum muscular growth and developement. Remember i'm negating max reps and power exercises. That's a whole different story. Most workouts aren't going to be all max exercises anyways.
    Again...I did not say "Don't stretch". I said stretch post workout. My 'claims' (if that is what you must call them) are supported by many on this board. But I am sure that there are others that suscribe to a different notion, such as yourself.

Let us not argue that what works for one works for all. Secondly you have no idea what my background is or is not and studies and experience have been wrong a time or two. But I am happy to provide you the information I derive my opinion from if you must.

To the original poster I encourage you to try both...determine what works for you. I only offer what has worked for me and been recommended to me.

i understand exactly what both of you are saying.....my question has been answered.....stretching will promote muscle growth....i just choose to do it afterwards cause like B.E.N said it does decrease your strength to a certain point....and from what i have read and leanered and have been told is that the more wieght you can lift for that muscle growth rep range the more you will grow....hence when you get stronger you tend to get bigger.

now for another question....how much do you guys actually pay attention to the stretch you get while in the last bit in the negative part of the rep.....cause thats something i really try and focus on.....if you dont understand what im saying its cause i probably cant put my words right....bu thanx guys

binder is offline Member
    I understand what ur saying. I pay great attention to it in my condition phase of contest prep. building phase I do,but not as much. doing full range will recruit as many muscle fibers as possible in the exercise. it also will help define the muscles by pushing water out of them (as does flexing).

ben: I never said u were against stretching. I was arguing pre-workout. If u think ur credentials are noteworthy then post them. I'm basing mine off of 3 trainers with masters degrees and also various multi mr olympia champions and their "claimed" workouts (which could vary greatly from what they really do privately).

The 10lbs or so I lose from max outs is well worth the injury prevention for me. My goal is muscular developement, not strength.

bmit is offline Member
    from what i have seen post workout is best. but i am not THE authority on it. have seen that pre-workout decreases strenght and think may lead to greater chance of injury. Regardless, at a minimum make sure you warm up properly: cardio for 8-12 minutes to get body temp up, warm up sets to get muscles ready for heavy lifting and then stretch after

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    I would stretch before and after the workout. I never had a problem with it. Not getting myself injured is no brainer choice for me.

jsinur7 is offline Member
    depends... do you wanna walk around like one of those guys whose arm are always bent or do you wanna walk around like a normal person... if you dont stretch after even on off days your muscle will heal shorter... strength wise, it's irrelevant, but look wise, it's personal choice... personally, i like my arms being straight when i'm not using them

binder is offline Member
    i'm going to take a step out of my box and do my chest workout today without stretching pre-wo and see what that does for me. My theory is soreness, but i'll see

Thread Information