jmax is offline Associate Member

full range movements or partials

does it really matter? Do your muscles really have any idea if your doing one or the other to the point of affecting gains or strength.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmax View Post
    does it really matter? Do your muscles really have any idea if your doing one or the other to the point of affecting gains or strength.
    If you choose not to go full range then you are not getting the full benefits of the movement.

Are partials useless ? No but i feel they shouldn't be abused. I have discovered that most people who are doing partials are more worried about numbers (weight wise) than actually hitting the muscle. I don't do partials regularly but when i do i use them to help change a routine. I don't do full sets but more of drop setting to them. Ill go to failure then bang out a few partial reps with my working weight just to get more of a pump.

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    i dont feel i get nearly as much of a "pump" when i do partials...not worth my time i feel.

i dont feel as if im targeting muscle. but when i do full range, it's full controlled the whole motion. not like those guys who lift a weight, then just drop it, then lift, then drop. seems like a waste of half the exercise?

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    its funny when you watch a lot of the pros videos since it looks like basically all the they do is partials. obviously this is due to the fact their range of movement is limited from their size, still interesting though

bmg
    bmg is offline Member
    ive moved towards doing alot of partials or actually 3/4 motions. i only cut part of the motion though if the tension is lesser in that part.

for example...

i may cut the top 1/5 of the bench press out because thats all tricep.

i may cut the top part of a preacher curl out because there is no tension when the bar is hovering directly over my elbo and the weight is support by my radius

sometimes when i squat i dont stand up all the way to prevent my knees from locking out which removes the tension from the quads.

Cheating techniques are supposed to make exercises "harder". if you keep this in mind you can make partials work for you.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    full range of motion builds muscle.

But "partials" serve their part as well. more so strength wise like DSM stated

crazyhorse1960 is offline Associate Member
    i usually use partials when going heavier than normal it gets me past my a sticking point. once i get past the my sticking point than i do full range movements. if you dont use them as much experiment/w them to see how you can benefit from them.

green22 is offline Senior Member
    full range of motion bro.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    There is a time and place for both IMO. in powerlifting I've done many partial movements for various reasons... strengthen weak points of the movement, & reducing chance for injury are a couple of examples. For bodybuilding it's great for a pump... I'm sure many here have done 7/21's or other forms of partials to get the blood really pumping in the area. Overall full range is were it's at but don't be afraid to throw a curve ball into your training. Here are some of my favorite partials for powerlifting... 3 board bench press, high box squats, rack pulls (deadlifts). Good luck bro and keep lifting big!

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Full-range reps work best for bodybuilding....Both full-range and partials reps are best for strength-training.

Thread Information