AcePowerZ is offline Member

light weights+ more reps VS Heavy weights+low reps

I'm sure this has been answered numerous times here, but i'm having problems with the search function. In terms of strength, what does each do? (ex. increase endurance, more explosive) and in terms of appearance what does each do? (ex. bigger, more toned)

AcePowerZ is offline Member
    bumpity bump bump

deano bol is offline Junior Member
    low reps (4-6) is more for bulk and strength, whilst high reps (10-12) is for conditioning, tone and endurance.

Darksyde is offline Member
    there is no such thing as 'toning' a muscle. it either gets bigger or smaller with exercise and diet.

xavier_888888 is offline Senior Member
    yup! all depends on your goal.

BuiltForThis is offline Associate Member
    Lift the same way you did to build your muscle and use diet and cardio to control the weight loss or weight gain.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Traditionally speaking:

Lower Reps/Higher weight Will build strength, Strength is How much one can lift for one rep. I would say that anything below 6-7 reps would be a "strength" oriented rep range

Adv. You are working more muscle fibers than you would with a higher weight as your body is designed to do the minimum amount.

Dis. You risk injury and overtraining.

Higher reps/Lower weight will work muscle endurance, Or How many reps you can do at one time. I would say this could be anything from 15 reps and beyond.

Adv. Safer to do, and can create lactic acid which signals your body to release GH

Dis. May not be optimal if you want to increase strength/provide proper intensity.

So, IMO, do a little of both,

Start with a basic like Squats, work in a classic 5x5 strength format, then do 8-15 for hypertrophy (which I didnt mention above) and maybe end with an "isolation" exercise for muscular endurance at the end.

If you want to "cut" or "tone" (I also belive this isnt possiable) Shorten your rest periods, choose a lighter weight, diet, and do cardio.

Thread Information