Toenails is offline New Member

Help with my workout plan

Hi all im new to this site, im starting training today, I,ve put together a bulk diet from the diet forum which i will finish later today and post up. i've put together a workout plan but as a beginner could do with peoples advice.
    Im 27 male 5'4 and weigh 131lbs.
    I train from home so only have access to a bench, barbell, dumbells and a chin up bar.
    Iam looking to bulk as much as possible and i know there are some major sets for bulking which i hope i have included.
    Please advice me on what sets to drop and which to swap for maximum results. Also you will see i have no sets for calfs so please advice and what is the best sets for traps?
    Thanks in advance

DAY 1, CHEST AND BACK

Chest: Back:
    Bench Press Curls
    Dumbell Flys Barbell Curls
    Push ups Concentration Curls
    Incline Dumbell Presses Reverse Curls

DAY 2, THIGHS & ABS

Thighs: Abs:
    Front Squats Crunches
    Squats Sit Ups
    Leg Extensions Calves Over Bench
    Standing Leg Curls Dumbell Side Bends

DAY 3, BACK & CALFS

Back: Calfs
    Deadlifts
    Dumbell Shrugs
    Bent Rows
    One Arm Dumbell Rows

DAY 4, SOULDERS & TRICEPS

Shoulders: Triceps:
    Back Presses One Arm Tricep Extensions
    Front Presses Tricep Dips
    Bent Over Lateral Raises Tricep Extenions
    Upright Rows

Sorry about first post! This should make more sense: -

DAY 1, CHEST AND BACK

Chest:
    Bench Press
    Dumbell Flys
    Push ups
    Incline Dumbell Presses

Back:
    Curls
    Concentration Curls
    Reverse Curls
    Barbell Curls

DAY 2, THIGHS & ABS

Thighs:
    Front Squats
    Squats
    Leg Extensions
    Standing Leg Curls

Abs:
    Crunches
    Sit Ups
    Calves Over Bench
    Dumbell Side Bends

DAY 3, BACK & CALFS

Back:
    Deadlifts
    Dumbell Shrugs
    Bent Rows
    One Arm Dumbell Rows

Calfs:

Shoulders:
    Back Presses
    Front Presses
    Bent Over Lateral Raises
    Upright Rows

Triceps:
    One Arm Tricep Extensions
    Tricep Dips
    Tricep Extenions

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toenails View Post
    Sorry about first post! This should make more sense: -

DAY 1, CHEST AND BACK

Chest: way to many exercises, for not being on a cycle, you are going to wear your self down more than get a good workout by the time you get to the incline db presses.... i'd say alternate weeks with main lift/auxilarry lifts such as bench and db flys/incline bench and db bench..... and for the pushups, dont include them in your workout, but do them every night like 4 sets of 50, get full recovery so its easy to do during commercials this will help work on all your stabilizer muscles which will help the main muscles build faster....
    Bench Press
    Dumbell Flys
    Push ups
    Incline Dumbell Presses

Bis: I think you mean bi's cause u have back down below..... anyways i think 2 of these would be good, becuase your back workouts will work your biceps also...
    Curls
    Concentration Curls
    Reverse Curls
    Barbell Curls

DAY 2, THIGHS & ABS Way to much! like said above try main lift/auxilarry lift for week alternating...

Thighs:
    Front Squats
    Squats
    Leg Extensions
    Standing Leg Curls

Abs: not bad, just make sure you do alot of reps with high speed as long as your controling your motion
    Crunches
    Sit Ups
    Calves Over Bench
    Dumbell Side Bends

DAY 3, BACK & CALFS

Back: good, but like said above, do 2 lifts
    Deadlifts
    Dumbell Shrugs
    Bent Rows
    One Arm Dumbell Rows

Calfs: you can do calf raises with a squat bar.... basically thats about it...be sure to do lunges also that will help with hip strength...

Shoulders: dont know back presses/front press for shoulders, but you can try military press, push press, db military press, db raises front and side
    Back Presses
    Front Presses
    Bent Over Lateral Raises
    Upright Rows

Triceps: good, but only do 2 exercises, you can look to add close grip bench, skull crushers, overhead press, bent over tricep ext (you will use like a 15 lbs and really focus on the last part of the extension)
    One Arm Tricep Extensions
    Tricep Dips
    Tricep Extenions

in bold above... over all not bad, if you do all those lifts on the same day its way to much.... if your diet is good, and you are getting plenty of protein you should be fine...
    how are you going to do your sets? do you konw yet? are you going to pyrimaid it? or stick at a particular phase?

Thanks for your reply, thought i may be over doing it a bit. I have taken your advice and altered my workout plan, see what you think and please feel free to change any weak points taking into consideration that my aim is to bulk as much as posible.

3 SETS OFF 6-8 REPS
    DAY 1, CHEST AND BICEPS

Chest:
    Bench Press
    Dumbell Flys
    Incline Dumbell Presses

Bis:
    Barbell Curls
    Concentration Curls
    Curls

DAY 2, THIGHS & ABS
    Thighs:
    Front Squats
    Squats

Abs:
    Crunches
    Sit Ups
    Calves Over Bench
    Dumbell Side Bends

DAY 3, BACK & CALFS
    Back:
    Deadlifts
    Bent Rows
    Dumbell Shrugs

Calfs:
    calf raises with a squat bar
    lunges

Shoulders:
    PLEASE CAN YOU DECIDE ON THE BEST 2 OR 3 SETS FOR SHOULDERS & TRICEPS( I HEAR MILITARY'S ARE GOOD FOR BULKING)

Triceps:

As for my diet its very solid now packed with protein, follwed the diet bulking header in the diet section eaten 8 good meals a day.

Supplements: On 100 % whey, and No shotgun.

Im not to sure the best way to do my sets, if i can do pyrimaid i try to but it slows things down having to change dif weights say on the barbell. if 2 or 3 exercise have the same weight i do pyrimaid, so a bit of both.

Please feel free to chop and change my plan for the better, and any other advice i may benefit from,

Thanks once again for your time

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toenails View Post
    Thanks for your reply, thought i may be over doing it a bit. I have taken your advice and altered my workout plan, see what you think and please feel free to change any weak points taking into consideration that my aim is to bulk as much as posible.

3 SETS OFF 6-8 REPS i say do 4 sets of 6-8, where u do sets of 8 untill your last set, you want to fail at 6.... thats for the main core lifts such as bench/squat.... as for the aux lifts you want to get all your reps in, so i suggest 3 sets of 8-10
    DAY 1, CHEST AND BICEPS

Chest: one to many exercises, but if you are going to do all 3, make sure you have PERFECT form, and i'd do the flys after the incline because incline is more bulk, and fly's is more specilized cutting and go light and make sure u have perfect form
    Bench Press
    Dumbell Flys
    Incline Dumbell Presses

Bis: good, but i think 1 to many exercises, 2 bi's would be plenty because you work bi's when u do back later in the week
    Barbell Curls
    Concentration Curls
    Curls

DAY 2, THIGHS & ABS
    Thighs: squat and frontsquat shouldnt be on teh same day... that should be the alternating weeks which i explained in my other post... u can do leg ext/curl on a front squat day, and strait leg dead lifts on squat day, that will help minimize injury because you wont be killing your legs on a squat day... SLDL are more for stretching out your hammies but still do some weight... that will prevent yor hammiesw from getting to tight preventing injury
    Front Squats
    Squats

Abs: you can mix up ur ab workouts by goin a rotation on them... do upper abs/lowerabs.... so like 4 exercises total, make 3 lower ab/1 upper abs the lower ab day and then for upper ab make 3 upperab/1 lower ab workout.... and alternate it bethween the times u do abs
    Crunches
    Sit Ups
    Calves Over Bench
    Dumbell Side Bends

DAY 3, BACK & CALFS
    Back: i do shrugs on a shoulder day, not a back day... try to involve your lats by lat pull downs, or pull ups... i dont see any lat exercises here, and that is what gives u that 'v' to your back.... dead lifts are good, should be a core lift (like bench/squat) so do the sets the same as everything else
    Deadlifts
    Bent Rows
    Dumbell Shrugs

Calfs:
    calf raises with a squat bar do high reps and go fast... kinda like a hopping motion, but with weight u can handle... the typical lifting for calves (like the heavy weight low reps... you need high fast reps with about 50-100 lbs over ur body weight if u can do it... if u can do more with full range and motion just do more reps with 100 lbs over ur bodyweighta
    lunges this will work more glutes and hips, but still good combo w/ calves.... do lateral lunges and walking lunges and backward lunges

Shoulders: military press bar or db, arnold db press, front raises, lateral raises, bentover reverse flys (rear delt) - all the db exercises u can do alternating, same time, alt/same/alt/same etc... for the reps
    PLEASE CAN YOU DECIDE ON THE BEST 2 OR 3 SETS FOR SHOULDERS & TRICEPS( I HEAR MILITARY'S ARE GOOD FOR BULKING)

Triceps: skull crushers w/ bar, overhead tri's, close grip bench, bentover tri ext (really focus on the last 20° of the tri ext... use light weight, its harder than u think...)

As for my diet its very solid now packed with protein, follwed the diet bulking header in the diet section eaten 8 good meals a day.

Supplements: On 100 % whey, and No shotgun. u can add creatine, that will help get some water swell also (since ur doin it naturally, water swell is good, but w/ a steroid its not wanted because u retain SOOO much more than creatine

Im not to sure the best way to do my sets, if i can do pyrimaid i try to but it slows things down having to change dif weights say on the barbell. if 2 or 3 exercise have the same weight i do pyrimaid, so a bit of both.
    pyrimaiding your sets is something called periodization... you can try this set combo... week 1-3 4x6-8(explained above) week 4-9 5x5, week 9-12 10,8,6,4,2... that is for the main core lifts of the day, as for other lifts you dont want to go less reps than the 4x8, those lifts must have perfect form which is more important than weight... form for the core lifts are important but its alot easier which allows higher weight

Please feel free to chop and change my plan for the better, and any other advice i may benefit from,

Thanks once again for your time

In bold above.... pretty solid base though....

That gives me a much clearer view on things, gonna fine tune my workout dropping out an exercise or two as you suggested and follow all your other points.

Thanks once again for your time, i really apprieciate it mate.

Cheers

Thread Information