Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bodybuilder1107 is offline Senior Member

Question once or twice a week?

whats the opinions on working each muscle once or twice a week? i currently do once a weak but hear that 2 muscle groups a time spark growth in each othere and the benefits from each muscle are obvious but what would the routine look like because im sore as hell after arm night and probably neot ready to do it again in 3 days

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    I work each body part every 3-4 days max. I feel that is plenty of rest. On occasion, I do take an extra day off. I let that come when needed and don't plan it. Life can be hectic and your time minimal. 7 days is very extreme to me for each body part to rest imo. This what works best for me and others might disagree.

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    1 body part aweek, but you really need to stress the muscle and hit it hard

FREAK is offline BLACK MARKET BUILT
    2 a week for me

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Alternate back and forth between both styles of training!

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your body bro. Its all in how you respond, everybody's different

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

More information on this topic!

Breaking Plateaus with Twice a Week Muscle Training

After 12 sets once a week per body part stops being productive during the blast, you are ready to mix things up by training each bodypart twice a week to shock both the "central nervous system" and the "muscles". There will be no continued improvement beyond the point to which the body has already adapted regardless of how much intensity you put the body through in the gym! You'll train each muscle group twice a week, once with key movements and again with secondary movements. This provides each muscle group with one heavy day and one lighter day. Each muscle group is trained with more frequency and receives a different type of stress-hence providing a holistic approach to gaining more muscle mass and strength. Your Central Nervous, joints and muscles will welcome the separation of exercises into two different training sessions by helping you break plateaus that cannot be accomplished if you always train a bodypart once a week!

Adjust the amount of sets needed per bodypart for the blasting phase. Some of you will do better using only 8 very intense work sets per major body part when training once a week where as others of you will be able to use 12 work sets per each major bodypart (constituting much longer workouts) and max out your genetics without over-training. With twice a week muscle training you can do as much as 12 sets per week with 2 exercises (6 sets a piece for each of the 2 exercise), 18 sets per week with 3 exercises ( 6 sets a piece for each of the 3 exercises) and up to 24 sets per week with 4 exercises (6 sets a piece for each of the 4 exercises. Work harder on lagging body parts if you want a more balanced physique. There’s no value in exceeding 12 intense work sets per bodypart in any particular training session. If you want to use upwards of 4 different exercise per bodypart you will use a key movement and a secondary movement during the first training session for that week and 2 secondary exercises the following workout that week for the same bodypart.

Editors Note: I make my best overall gains by alternating back and forth between doing a once a week muscle group training phase and a twice a week muscle group training phase. I like 3 exercises per body part, 12 sets per week when once a week muscle group training and around 18 sets when training each muscle twice a week. My blasting phases generally last for 10-12 weeks regardless of whether I am training a muscle once a week or twice a week. The beauty of Slingshot Training is that you can blast for longer periods when training a muscle once a week than when training a muscle twice a week or vise versa. For example, you might excel by doing a lengthy 12 week blasting phase with once a week muscle training where as 8 weeks is all you can handle when training a muscle twice a week. On the other side of the coin, you might make more gains where each muscle is trained twice a week for 12 weeks while 6 weeks is plenty of blasting for once a week muscle group training. I make my best gains alternating back and forth between both training styles utilizing 10-12 week blasting phases. ....Experiment to find your sweet spot!

Overall training volume can be increased when training each muscle twice a week. For instance if you normally do 4 sets of decline press, 4 sets of incline press and 4 sets of flat flyes once a week, you can do up to 6 sets per exercise with Slingshot Training! This means you could do decline presses in the first workout for 6 sets and then 6 sets of incline presses and 6 sets of flat flyes in the following workout. That comes to a grand total of 18 intense work sets for chest that week. Work harder on lagging points for a more balanced physique!

Always remember to avoid using the same exercises twice a week. To prove my point- go and try to do 6 sets of squats twice a week for the next 12 weeks and see if you don't start experiencing joints problems along with an over-trained nervous system. Not to mention mental boredom! You must train like a power-lifter when it comes to training each muscle twice a week. For example, power-lifters may do squats on Monday and box squats on Friday but you won't see them do both movements on Monday and Friday. Why? It's because their joints, cns and mind can't take the abuse. Training both the squat and box squat in the same workout session works well for power-lifting given you train those movements only once a week. I also believe in increasing overall volume if needed when training a muscle twice a week inorder to break plateaus. Think like a power-lifter when it comes to training each muscle twice a week!

bmit is offline Member
    i have a 2 day split then off one day, then on 2 days, then off 1 or two days depending on how i feel. but this is also on 300mg test / 300 mg deca wk. do 3-5 sets to failure depending on the bodypart. Am growing and gaining strentgth at a ridiculous pace (even accounting for the assist steroids provide). have been influenced by DC training and now SlingShot training too. Kind of a hybrid between the two now

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    e5d brother

creed33 is offline New Member
    Some great advise for a newbie like me. Thanks for the posts.

cokecoon is offline Junior Member
    once a week....my friend was training everyday and hit a platea until he cut down to 3x times a week training and has been gaing size ever since.

i agree with warchild as long as you train each bodypart intesively then only can doing once a week be justified

Thread Information