Thread: How to Bench?

NeedAnabolics is offline Associate Member

How to Bench?

I want to gain size, technically speaking, what percentage of my max should I do and how many times? example, Max 250 on bench. Should I start of with 60% 12 reps then 70% less reps. its at the tip of my tongue i hope you understand what I'm trying to say. What do you all do whe you start off your chest day,

gibferno is offline Junior Member
    Flat Bench and Decline Dumbbells, and Incline press with barbell

mkrulic is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedAnabolics View Post
    I want to gain size, technically speaking, what percentage of my max should I do and how many times? example, Max 250 on bench. Should I start of with 60% 12 reps then 70% less reps. its at the tip of my tongue i hope you understand what I'm trying to say. What do you all do whe you start off your chest day,
    I found that every 10lbs you drop off the bar adds one rep. so you could do 240 for 2, 220 for 4,...etc. thats 100% effort tho. doing 100% for two long can lead to injuries. powerlifters can usually come up w/ good percentages. try 3 sets of 175 for 8. then try to go up.

rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    i stick to incline and flat bench mostly on chest days....

After warming up...on bench

I do 2 sets 225x10, 2 sets 245x10, 2 sets 265x10, 2 sets 285x10, 2 sets 305x10, 2 sets 315x6-8, 1 set 365x3, 1 set 405x3, 1 set 465x3, 1 set 495x1

Its kind of a hybrid workout....I get good pumps and every single rep feels like its the heavyst ever....even low weights. Like 405 feels the same as 225 to me...its progressive.

then I go to incline and pick a starting weight say 225....and do concentration sets with them....

That gives me an insane pump....just apply it to whatever weight you can do with those formentioned repititions.

mkrulic is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino1 View Post
    i stick to incline and flat bench mostly on chest days....

After warming up...on bench

I do 2 sets 225x10, 2 sets 245x10, 2 sets 265x10, 2 sets 285x10, 2 sets 305x10, 2 sets 315x6-8, 1 set 365x3, 1 set 405x3, 1 set 465x3, 1 set 495x1

Its kind of a hybrid workout....I get good pumps and every single rep feels like its the heavyst ever....even low weights. Like 405 feels the same as 225 to me...its progressive.

then I go to incline and pick a starting weight say 225....and do concentration sets with them....

That gives me an insane pump....just apply it to whatever weight you can do with those formentioned repititions.
    how long have you done this? I would never recommend a single for anyone who isnt in a competition. I think you are asking for an injury. imho

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedAnabolics View Post
    Everyone is different. Even though carlos has a very nice chest i am not going to copy his routine because its his. He found out what works for him and sticks with it. Thats what you need to do. Use a weight that you can reach 8-10 CONTROLLED reps and stick with that. Once you can bang out 3 sets of that bump it. I think people focus too much on the weight and not enough on feeling the reps. Sure i can bulldog up heavy weight but am i going to feel it as much ? Nope.

Trial and error.

Darksyde is offline Member
    i usually use progressive resistance with a static rep count. 8 is always a good number for me.

creed33 is offline New Member
    I've been looking to gain chest size too and this all sounds like really good info. Thanks for the posts.

ray0414 is offline Member
    make sure u keep your ass on bench too. i see all these people who lift their ass's off the bench and they have NO pecs cause their pecs dont do much work. as a matter of fact, im going to start a thread asking who does and who doesnt do that.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    key is controlled manner for me

Thread Information