no_juice is offline New Member

muscle pump question

im equating my logic to cardio....when you run you keep ur heart rate constant over time and therefore see benefits...im guessing your heart doesnt kno if your walking real fast, or jumpin rope or having a long session with ur girl...?!?!

high weight low reps vs low weight high reps..

what is the real difference...how can you scientifically explain that high reps are responsible for certain pumps where low reps are not...isnt a mucle pump a "pump"... i mean if i curl with 30 pound dumbells and do sets of 25 or if i use 60 pound dumbells and do 8 how does my muscle know the difference? how are the pumps different?!

sorry for the ignorance

ActiveMuscle is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by no_juice View Post
    im equating my logic to cardio....when you run you keep ur heart rate constant over time and therefore see benefits...im guessing your heart doesnt kno if your walking real fast, or jumpin rope or having a long session with ur girl...?!?!

what is the real difference...how can you scientifically explain that high reps are responsible for certain pumps where low reps are not...isnt a mucle pump a "pump"... i mean if i curl with 30 pound dumbells and do sets of 25 or if i use 60 pound dumbells and do 8 how does my muscle know the difference? how are the pumps different?!

sorry for the ignorance
    GOOD Q MAN!!?I would also want to know that

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Lots of views and no answer, maybe you bounce this one to musclesience he like to answer this kind of question.

What i have found is this, it does not answer but maybe adds a bit.
    I have done pump programs and found that while getting a great pump it does not last as long as the pump i get when it is from lower reps with high weight (both have been noted the same way weather on a NO booster or not)

Luck with the Q mate, a good one

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

sorry for the ignorance
    1) Obtaining a pump with 25 reps will cause sarcoplasmic growth-about 25% of total muscle make up. Therefore, 75% of potential gains in muscle size will be left behind.

2) Getting a pump with 8 reps will cause both sacromeric growth-about 75% of total muscle make up and sacroplasmic growth-about 25% of total muscle make up (when enough sets are utilized).

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    1) Obtaining a pump with 25 reps will cause sarcoplasmic growth-about 25% of total muscle make up. Therefore, 75% of potential gains in muscle size will be left behind.

2) Getting a pump with 8 reps will cause both sacromeric growth-about 75% of total muscle make up and sacroplasmic growth-about 25% of total muscle make up (when enough sets are utilized).
    Great mate, i didn't ask the question but that seems to answer what i have found,, see post.

Thanks

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries

sorry for the ignorance
    Muscle pump is a term that describes a normal physiological response to exercise. This is called "blood shunting," In the working muscle energy demands increase. This increase in energy demands coupled with the increase in waste metabolites causes local dilation of the arterial system to Shunt more blood into the working muscle. Capillaries beds in the muscle are recruited causing infusion of the extra blood into all areas of the muscle. Generally speaking higher rep exercise cause more blood to be engorge into the system because higher rep exercised typically recruit all fiber types fatiguing them in order at which ultimately metabolic waste products exceed metabolic waste removal and energy demands can no longer be meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post

I dont know were you got those numbers, or even what your talking about here.

randy6969 is offline Member
    [QUOTE=MuscleScience;4288391]Muscle pump is a term that describes a normal physiological response to exercise. This is called "blood shunting," In the working muscle energy demands increase. This increase in energy demands coupled with the increase in waste metabolites causes local dilation of the arterial system to Shunt more blood into the working muscle. Capillaries beds in the muscle are recruited causing infusion of the extra blood into all areas of the muscle. Generally speaking higher rep exercise cause more blood to be engorge into the system because higher rep exercised typically recruit all fiber types fatiguing them in order at which ultimately metabolic waste products exceed metabolic waste removal and energy demands can no longer be meet.

So in your opinion would it better to do high reps low weight (e.g german volume training) or low reps 6-8 higher weight to maximize your muscle gains? Since your saying doing higher reps causes more blood flow to the muscle that could be the answer?

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=randy6969;4299650]
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Muscle pump is a term that describes a normal physiological response to exercise. This is called "blood shunting," In the working muscle energy demands increase. This increase in energy demands coupled with the increase in waste metabolites causes local dilation of the arterial system to Shunt more blood into the working muscle. Capillaries beds in the muscle are recruited causing infusion of the extra blood into all areas of the muscle. Generally speaking higher rep exercise cause more blood to be engorge into the system because higher rep exercised typically recruit all fiber types fatiguing them in order at which ultimately metabolic waste products exceed metabolic waste removal and energy demands can no longer be meet.

So in your opinion would it better to do high reps low weight (e.g german volume training) or low reps 6-8 higher weight to maximize your muscle gains? Since your saying doing higher reps causes more blood flow to the muscle that could be the answer?
    If you want more of a pump then do High reps. I do not believe that I have read anywhere in the literature that gives a conclusive answer to high rep vs high weight. There are papers that say one thing and papers that say another and both come out of good labs with good methods behind the studies.

Self proclaimed experts will tell you that there program is 530% better at increasing muscle mass or whatever. The most extensive reviews of the literature to date all basically say both methods are statistically as effectively as the others when data is pooled and compiled.

I say find something that works for you and stick with it. Any program that is sound in its structure will work as long as you adhere to the program. That is the most important part of any exercise regime.

Blog Entries
    Oh muscle pump is not necessarily associated with increase in muscle mass.

OH REALLY is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Oh muscle pump is not necessarily associated with increase in muscle mass.
    I agree

Thread Information