run_n_fool is offline Associate Member

When to do cardio?

what is the general concensus on doing cardio on days I am lifting?

my 1st preference is to do the cardio in the AM on an empty stomach, then lift in the evening, but if I have to do at night, should I lift then do my cardio, or cardio then lift?

Sierra Mike is offline New Member
    I prefer to do my cardio in the morning. I find that it helps to wake me up. I do my weight training after work since I seem to be able to focus in a little better than when I lift in the mornings. I have heard that cardio has a slightly better effect if you do it right after lifting, but I just dont have the energy afterward.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    id def lift 1st then cardio. again keep doing it the way you like (am aparently) but when u cant do it then definately lift 1st then cardio ....JMO

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    If you can't do your cardio in the morning, after lifting is the best. BTW, I like to drink a protein shake only before doing my AM cardio. I've done it both ways (shake and empty) and I find having a shake 10-15 minutes before helps me keep more muscle while cutting.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Jfew44 View Post
    If you can't do your cardio in the morning, after lifting is the best. BTW, I like to drink a protein shake only before doing my AM cardio. I've done it both ways (shake and empty) and I find having a shake 10-15 minutes before helps me keep more muscle while cutting.
    That's interesting, b/c I thought I read somewhere that studies show that exercising on an empty stomach burned a higher % of fat calories than if you had something in you.

Any thoughts?

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    There are studies going both ways and it's been a debated topic for awhile. I would suggest doing both, and seeing what works for you. I believe a small protein shake with water does not cause much of an insulin spike, so you still burn a good amount of fat, but I'll leave this up to the guys that know a heck of a lot more than me.

sizerp is offline Banned
    Definitely depends on how intense your Cardio is in the morning. If you go on an empty stomach you may start to break down muscle for fuel.

rmorris is offline New Member
    The need of weight loss is there but conditions of health are being a dilemma for me as to how I should approach the task. My general impression after reading few topics here is that the members can contribute with their experience for my own good. Actually I prefer the cardio but need to watch out as I have asthmatic problems. I have not come across anyone who can be a perfect guide to me in this aspect. Suggest me can I do the cardio exercises at all with the prevailing condition, if so how would I know about when to stop. Also looking for information on Alcohol Rehabilitation as one of my friends need it urgently.
    Last edited by rmorris; 01-04-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Have you been diagnosed with asthma or do you feel asthma like symptoms? Does an inhaler or other prescribed medication control your symptoms? I would consult your doc for this b/c asthma is serious business.

That said, there are many many people in all sports from bodybuilding to marathon running that have asthma and are able to participate in their chosen endevour. With an MD's guidance I see no reason why you should be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by sizerp View Post
    Definitely depends on how intense your Cardio is in the morning. If you go on an empty stomach you may start to break down muscle for fuel.
    Pretty mild I'd say. I use a heart rate monitor and keep it well below my anaerobic threshold, so I do not think I'd be breaking down muscle

Thread Information