m3Zee is offline New Member

Best way to get back into the gym

I've been out of the gym for approximately 6 months for various reasons and am planning to get back on a serious training schedule. Before my lapse I had been training steadily for about 5 years. I've now lost considerable muscle mass and put a bit of belly fat on.

My question is, what is the best workout to get myself back into a gym routine? Meaning, I know I am going to be sore as hell for the first few workouts, and I want to know how to best prepare my body for the intense workouts I plan to throw at it when I am ready. Would you recommend just doing my planned routine at a lower intensity? Full body workout? Short focused workouts for each muscle group?

My thoughts are to start with a light full body workout 2-3 times per week for a few weeks. This will be to get my body used to working out again, and allow my muscles time to recover. I have a feeling that if I train individual muscle groups, my workouts later in the week will suffer due to soreness from a previous workout.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    your ideas are good, personally i would do individual workouts at a lower intensity and weight, basically work on form and let my body get used to lifting weights again

full body though is not my thing, so it's your call, either way though, you're back in the gym and that's the important thing

welcome back

Jakspro is offline Member
    I also recommend Phate's thoughts - Go light with individual workouts, and keep the intensity low for the first week.

Increase the intensity the following weeks, until your body feels comfortable.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    when i went back to gym after an accident i went upper body 1 x week / then lower body 1x week(same week). I did cardio 3x week. I did that for 3 weeks tyhen went to more tradditional splits. Of course weights were lower etc. I think its important to acclimate your body to the tear down / repair process as opposed to "jumping right in"
    Last edited by jimmyinkedup; 01-13-2009 at 07:51 AM.

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    Just as important working out and cardio is your diet which is what makes you look good keeps you in the gym..

Thread Information