T.STEEL is offline Junior Member

Standing barbell curls.

When you guys do standing barbell curls, what do you think is a better way to do them? lifting the weight without the arms fully extended? or with the arms completly extended? You can obviously lift more weight when you dont extend your arms all the way but with extending them you get that good stretch in the biceps.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    I dont do them i squat instead...

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    I don't fully extend them I might hurt my elbows.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I prefer to keep a very slight bend in mine at the bottom of the movement as well.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I prefer to keep a very slight bend in mine at the bottom of the movement as well.
    Agreed!

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    ^^^ x3

Hunter-S-Thompson is offline Senior Member
    ive always come all the way down... it kinda feels like im cheating when i dont lol... just my opinion

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    +4

Oh, hows my form :

GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    +4

Oh, hows my form :

Whether or not his form sucks, he's still big and ripped

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    i go the whole way down. but only because im 6'3 and my biceps are long as shit. if i dont then i have a space between my bi and elbow where theres no muscle thats developed

Trippensee is offline Junior Member
    ^^ I have that now, wdf should I do, I heard Hammer Curls? Sorry about thread jacking it is just a good question.

Dougewesq is offline Junior Member
    extending is ok just watch the form with heavy weight, Hamish up there is setting himself up for some serious medical issues but as you can see he is getting the attention that he needs from that poor basterd sitting next to him

liable is offline Associate Member
    i like to keep a little bend in the arm so you dont hurt the elbow on the way up.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Do them either way, as long as it's not in the power rack.

mho
    mho is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    Do them either way, as long as it's not in the power rack.

Why ?

GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by mho View Post
    Why ?
    Are you kidding bro?

NOBODY likes (and everybody laughs at) guys who curl 25lb in the power rack.

The power rack exists for POWER movements haha. Squats, deadlifts, clean and presses...not barbell curls

GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougewesq View Post
    extending is ok just watch the form with heavy weight, Hamish up there is setting himself up for some serious medical issues but as you can see he is getting the attention that he needs from that poor basterd sitting next to him
    I have no idea how you concluded that big black guy to be me...

Barium is offline New Member
    Don't need to lock them out, but make sure you don't swing or flare elbows to start the weight moving. Keep the shoulders out of the movement at the start.

mho
    mho is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish&Andy View Post
    Are you kidding bro?

NOBODY likes (and everybody laughs at) guys who curl 25lb in the power rack.

The power rack exists for POWER movements haha. Squats, deadlifts, clean and presses...not barbell curls
    Respectfully, I go to the gym to build muscle. I really couldn't care less about who's laughing. The gym I go to only has a couple bars. I usually use the bar on the preacher curl bench, but when it's in use I just use the power rack. If nobody is using it I don't see the problem, except for the elite bros laughing at me of course.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Respectfully, I go to the gym to build muscle. I really couldn't care less about who's laughing. The gym I go to only has a couple bars. I usually use the bar on the preacher curl bench, but when it's in use I just use the power rack. If nobody is using it I don't see the problem, except for the elite bros laughing at me of course.
    Here's the thing man...it's really annoying to watch some fking mook curl a 45 lb bar with 10 lbs on either end of it, while I'm waiting to do squats. The bar is meant for heavy exercises...not for curls. As is the rack. The rack has all those cool pegs and safety arms for a reason, they aren't there for you to rest your massive bar with little weights on.

If you're not curling plates, you've got no business using the bar or a rack. It's a man points deduction to do so. Come on man...you KNOW you never see anyone curling more than 135 in the power rack. It's a complete waste of a piece of equipment and inconsiderate to others.

EDIT: LOL I just noticed the guy in the picture is also using the clips. WHOA!! Don't want that 10 lbs flying off!!!

mho
    mho is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    Here's the thing man...it's really annoying to watch some fking mook curl a 45 lb bar with 10 lbs on either end of it, while I'm waiting to do squats. The bar is meant for heavy exercises...not for curls. As is the rack. The rack has all those cool pegs and safety arms for a reason, they aren't there for you to rest your massive bar with little weights on.

If you're not curling plates, you've got no business using the bar or a rack. It's a man points deduction to do so. Come on man...you KNOW you never see anyone curling more than 135 in the power rack. It's a complete waste of a piece of equipment and inconsiderate to others.

EDIT: LOL I just noticed the guy in the picture is also using the clips. WHOA!! Don't want that 10 lbs flying off!!!
    lol!

Anyways, I respect the fact that the rack is needed for heavy lifting. But like I said, I use it when nobody needs it. I go to the gym during lunch, and there's all of about 5 people there at a time, most of whom are house wives running on the treadmill.

domeyeahaigh is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy usin the power rack for curls every now and then but whatever. Great exercise.

GT2
    lol!

Anyways, I respect the fact that the rack is needed for heavy lifting. But like I said, I use it when nobody needs it. I go to the gym during lunch, and there's all of about 5 people there at a time, most of whom are house wives running on the treadmill.
    If no-one is around, and you're absolutely sure no-one needs the power rack, then go ahead and use it to curl. I don't see a problem with that (I still wouldn't do it though haha)

Godson is offline Associate Member
    power rack = a rack with a barbell on it , curls are fine there

as for standing barbell curl, most effective method is getting the full stretch of the biceps
    keep your elbows at your sides, and dont take a pause when you drop it below your waist

Voland is offline Celtiberian Pagan Whoremachine Leader
    I've seen people doing curls on a smith machine.
    I just use a regular straight short barbell and i don't lock the elbows down.

Thread Information