CJG560 is offline Junior Member

Workout Routine Critique/Questions

Background:

I am 33 y/o, 5’10”,190lbs and my BF% is ~19%*. I have always been physically active but never seriously weight trained any time in my life. I started hitting the gym with a defined workout routine a little less than 2 months ago. My main goal is to build strength and size. I have been feeling great and seeing some positive changes in my appearance. I have read all the diet section, watched the Milo’s videos and have gotten my diet in order in recent weeks and my macros are looking good. However, I have this nagging feeling I could be doing better and have a few questions after combing through this forum.

*I get my body fat % from and average of a scale that gives me it and hand held analyzer. I have calipers ordered to try the 9 point method but do not have them yet.

Routine:
    My current routine is a 3 day split that looks like the following (I typically do 4 sets of 10 reps with a challenging** weight):

Monday (Chest and Triceps)
    Incline Bench Press
    Bench Press
    Cable Cross Over
    Pushups
    Dips
    French Press

Wednesday (Back and Biceps)
    T-Bar Row
    Bent Over Row
    Stiff Arm Pull Down
    High Pull
    Hammer Curl
    Curl

Friday (Legs and Shoulders)
    Standard Squat
    Upright Row
    Lunges
    Shoulder Press
    Side Lunges
    Lateral Raises

**Challenging for me means I can push out the full reps for each set but it is hard towards the end.

I keep a log of all exercises and weights used and I hit my abs every session (situp, crunch and leg raises). I have had small increases in the amounts of weights I can use from week to week.

Additionally I do 30 min of cardio after each session and an extra day of cardio for 1hour on Saturday. I keep my heat rate at ~125 bpm for cardio. I get 125 from calculations I have found on this site ((220-33(age))x0.7=130.9).

Questions:

1. In general is my split routing acceptable for a newcomer like me? Too many or to little exercises? And should I break the body parts out separate or is doing them in pair’s fine?

2. I have seen improvement but with my current splits the muscle group I am working on a particular day is usually dead tired by the time I get the last exercise for it and I usually have to drop the weight down for those sets. Is this normal or a function of my noob weakness and hopefully will improve as I keep at it.

3. Is 4 sets of 10 reps the way to go or is there a better set/rep distribution?

4. From posts I read on this forum I think my cardio routine is acceptable but I just want to make sure it is not hurting my muscle building, is it?

5. I assume you don’t do the same exact split and exercises forever. How often should you change them?

In general any tips etc that you can provide would be welcome appreciated.

Oh now for the extremely embarrassing part, I am wondering if my BF analyzer is anywhere remotely accurate so I am posting a picture for input on what you think my BF% is.

Now keep in mind I am an obese bastard compared to you guys so try not to laugh too hard.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    This is one of the best posts I have ever read on here when it comes to a "noob" asking for advice, so major props. Your split looks very good, but I would do Chest/bis and back/tris, that way your smaller muscles won't be so tired at the end of your workout. Your rep range looks good, the most important thing is failing. You may want to go down to 3 sets per exercise, though, since you are relatively new to lifting seriously. On your back days, I would switch the pull downs and high pulls with chin ups and deadlifts every other week. This may not interest you, but at your age, you should get some blook work done, and check your test levels, and it can't hurt to find out how the liver and kidneys are doing.

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    i would change the split up, the first sticky is great slingshot training take a look.. and also

Free Training Advice-national certified trainer

Thanks guys. I skimmed over the slingshot stuff but was kinda overwhelmed. I will have to take the time to read it through a couple times to try and absorb it. Alot of it is greek to me so kinda have to learn terms and thought processes behind things as I go.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by CJG560 View Post
    Thanks guys. I skimmed over the slingshot stuff but was kinda overwhelmed. I will have to take the time to read it through a couple times to try and absorb it. Alot of it is greek to me so kinda have to learn terms and thought processes behind things as I go.

Thanks again.
    It is very overwhelming, but try to read it, and if you are confused, feel free to talk to the author on the board.

RAILroad is offline Junior Member
    i would drop some sets maybe 3 or even 2. personally if i was a noob i would do 3 sets for my big muscle. chest back and a couple shoulder lifts, quads and hams. and drop down to two sets for smaller. bi, tri, calves. as your body becomes used to it and your muscles adapt i would change accordingly. only you know how you will feel. listen to your body. i would also up cardio to 30 minutes. as you see your body change you will have you switch up what youaq re doing to keep recieving results. it was already stated earlier but that was a clean and clear post by a noob. good luck man. go get it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAILroad View Post
    i would drop some sets maybe 3 or even 2. personally if i was a noob i would do 3 sets for my big muscle. chest back and a couple shoulder lifts, quads and hams. and drop down to two sets for smaller. bi, tri, calves. as your body becomes used to it and your muscles adapt i would change accordingly. only you know how you will feel. listen to your body. i would also up cardio to 30 minutes. as you see your body change you will have you switch up what youaq re doing to keep recieving results. it was already stated earlier but that was a clean and clear post by a noob. good luck man. go get it.
    you must mean exercises and not sets.

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    ^^ tahts what i was thinking

RAILroad is offline Junior Member
    haha yes sorry guys... thanks for pointing that out

Thanks again for the input guys. I am going to make some changes and see how it goes for about a month while I try and further understand the slingshot thing.

That should allow me to further build a better base to start into it with.

Have a nice 4th all.

Thread Information