CrazyHorse13 is offline Associate Member

Target Heart Rate

Hey guys

I was wondering...how I find out my target heart rate while doing cardio should be

Thanks

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    To those who dont know

they you go mate......a link to eatrainrest thread.

CJG560 is offline Junior Member
    The Karoven Formula is the old standby and will work fine for most people, but using a formula based solely on age just doesn't work well enough for athletes as they move toward elite conditioning.

I personally like Sally Edwards' proposed calculation method which factors in age, sex and body weight to determine maximum heart rate (MHR).

Males: 210 minus 1/2 your age minus 5% of your body weight + 4
    Females: 210 minus - 1/2 your age minus 1% of your body weight + 0

See this site for the full writeup and about halfway down the page she details the zones and how each is significant.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    ^^^^^interesting.....cheers

BNK89 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJG560 View Post
    The Karoven Formula is the old standby and will work fine for most people, but using a formula based solely on age just doesn't work well enough for athletes as they move toward elite conditioning.

I personally like Sally Edwards' proposed calculation method which factors in age, sex and body weight to determine maximum heart rate (MHR).

Males: 210 minus 1/2 your age minus 5% of your body weight + 4
    Females: 210 minus - 1/2 your age minus 1% of your body weight + 0

See this site for the full writeup and about halfway down the page she details the zones and how each is significant.
    Uhhh... that puts me at 195.... i think thats wrong lol

195 is totally acceptable for a Maximum Heart Rate. You may not understand what a MHR actually is.

Your Maximum Heart Rate is the fastest your heart can beat for one minute. You should never train at your MHR only at a percentage reduction of it based on your goals. See the article I reference for details or Eatrainrest's post as they essentially detail the same thing.

What MHR do you get from the Karoven Formula?

For examples sake my MHR from the Karoven Formula is: 220-33 = 187

From Sally Edwards' formula it is: 210 - (1/2 x33) - (5% x 200) + 4 = 187.5

That is pretty close. The difference mainly shows if you are overweight or an exceptionally trained athlete. Both of which this forum gets a lot of. I just think Sally's formula give a little better number for the overweight and older people beginning a training routine than the Karoven Formula.
    Last edited by CJG560; 08-17-2009 at 11:17 AM.

POPS is offline Senior Member
    I say why bother with max hr. Whats the benefit to someone who wants to get big? Personally, I do not believe that there are any members here that run triathalons. Unless youre doing HIIT, I think that max hr is pointless....jmo....

Keep it simple : 220 - age X 65% = target hr for fat burning for 45-60 min....

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by popsinc View Post
    I say why bother with max hr. Whats the benefit to someone who wants to get big? Personally, I do not believe that there are any members here that run triathalons. Unless youre doing HIIT, I think that max hr is pointless....jmo....

Keep it simple : 220 - age X 65% = target hr for fat burning for 45-60 min....

Thank you very much
    Again I totally agree, it definately applies to a fit person, but you get alot of people here far from fit (20% BF and up) and that 65% of MHR could vary greatly and an unfit person should not overdo it with heartrate training for safety purposes as well as not hitting the sweet spot for fat burning.
    Last edited by CJG560; 08-17-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Thread Information