gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Any way to REALLY focus on a muscle group?

I had this originally posted in the 'lifting techniques' section, but got no responses. I couldn't think of a more appropriate forum other than this one; if this isn't right, I apologize in advance.

I have been working out very consistently for just over a year now, and although my primary goal has been (and continues to be) cutting bodyfat, I managed to get a more 'muscular' look. Honestly I don't know if I actually put on any decent muscle (due to low calories), but my muscles definitely look harder, more defined and strength has absolutely gone up.

I have a few bodyparts lagging behind others, but my BIGGEST problem is my shoulders - in particular, the lateral portion of my delt. This muscle has not changed AT ALL duing my entire time working out. My shoulders are complete square, no 'rounded' look whatsoever, and it's embarrasing - especially since my arms are starting to show a bit more now. Everything just looks totally out of proportion.

Is there any way I can really focus on this, or am I just a victim of genetics and have to accept that i'll have sub-par shoulders? Keep in mind that i'm only eating around 1900 calories a day, so I don't expect to grow necessarily, but like I said - NO CHANGE in look whatsoever, unlike my other muscles which have changed somewhat, even on the low calories.

My current shoulder routine is once a week, and consists of:

Seated Military Press (bar in front of face down to chest) - 3 x 8
    Dumbell Lateral Raise - 3 x 8
    Reverse Fly's (on peck dec) - 3 x 8 OR face down 'rear' lateral raise on inclined bench - 3 x 8
    Sometimes I add a few sets of seated dumbell press - 3 x 8

PS - I have tried heavier weight/fewer reps, lower weight/higher reps, more sets (5x5 routine) - same result.

Not sure what else I could really do for shoulders. I used to work them twice a week, so I don't think i'm undertraining now. I actually switched to once a week about 2 months ago because I thought I might have been OVERTRAINING them - but so far, no difference at all.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

fattymcbutterpants is offline Senior Member
    dont upright rows kinda help put a nice cap on your shoulders? just a suggestion, I used to do them alot and I feel as if it made mine wider

Quote Originally Posted by fattymcbutterpants View Post
    dont upright rows kinda help put a nice cap on your shoulders? just a suggestion, I used to do them alot and I feel as if it made mine wider
    I'd be willing to do whatever it takes. I find upright rows to feel like somewhat of an 'unatural' movement, but if it'll help i'll suck it up.

Hate Being Small is offline Associate Member
    Have u tried doing shrugs

javerton is offline Associate Member
    I replied to your thread, you just seem to want us to tell you what you want to hear though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hate Being Small View Post
    Have u tried doing shrugs
    Yes, I do shrugs but do them on back day. My traps are actually ok, it's my delts that i'm very unhappy with.

Quote Originally Posted by javerton View Post
    I replied to your thread, you just seem to want us to tell you what you want to hear though.
    Not sure what you're talking about - do you mean this same thread that I originally posted in the lifting techniques section? I'll head over there in a minute and check.

What you're saying above is complete BS though - please show me what I said to give you that idea? I just stated above that i'd be willing to do whatever it takes, regardless of whether or not I like it. WTF?

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    lateral and side raises. this will not add size or strength but will change the "shape"

you say you do shrugs.. when i do shrugs i do 10 plates 5 on a side.. I use hooks so that the primary muscle is used and you don't stop lifting when the grip gives out..

I go very heavy overhead press, that's where the size comes in..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    use heavy heavy weight, and while doing lateral raise, only bring the weight out about 6 inches from your sides (shouldn't be able to go much further) for about 6 reps, drop and do ten reps normal weight for lateral raise. this works the cap very well imo.

ranging1 is offline Anabolic Member
    MACHINE LATERAL RAISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i owe my lateral delts to this machine, it is by far the greatest thing EVER and has given me almost all my lateral delt size

agree with above shrugs are also very important since traps are what really gives your delts the better look

i personaly always found traps respond to the higher rep ranges

e.g ive loved doing 10 plates on barbell shrugs, but in the 10-12 rep range,

drop sets also do wonders ive found e.g a heavy first set of 6-8 reps then 4-5 reps on a drop set

ive never really responded to heavy shrugs with low reps

the only time i personaly find traps respond well to hevay weight is when your doing big deadlifts, e.g 270kg, since i find this really pulls on your traps and gives your handgrip a good burn lol
    Last edited by ranging1; 02-07-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    lateral and side raises. this will not add size or strength but will change the "shape"

you say you do shrugs.. when i do shrugs i do 10 plates 5 on a side.. I use hooks so that the primary muscle is used and you don't stop lifting when the grip gives out..

I go very heavy overhead press, that's where the size comes in..
    Spy, forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the difference between lateral and side raises? Either way, I don't mind the fact that these won't add size as i'm hoping the bigger pressing movements will take care of that. Changing the shape is big for me too since that's the 'noticable' part!

When I do shrugs, it's usually with dumbells - I can do about 10 reps with 105lb. dumbells. I sometimes alternate and use a barbell in which case I use wraps so the grip isn't a problem. However, I am looking to 'wean' myself off of the wraps as my grip strength sucks and I need to get it up to speed - thinking the only way is to suffer through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    use heavy heavy weight, and while doing lateral raise, only bring the weight out about 6 inches from your sides (shouldn't be able to go much further) for about 6 reps, drop and do ten reps normal weight for lateral raise. this works the cap very well imo.
    Basically a drop set?

Quote Originally Posted by ranging1 View Post
    MACHINE LATERAL RAISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i owe my lateral delts to this machine, it is by far the greatest thing EVER and has given me almost all my lateral delt size

agree with above shrugs are also very important since traps are what really gives your delts the better look

i personaly always found traps respond to the higher rep ranges

e.g ive loved doing 10 plates on barbell shrugs, but in the 10-12 rep range,

drop sets also do wonders ive found e.g a heavy first set of 6-8 reps then 4-5 reps on a drop set

ive never really responded to heavy shrugs with low reps

the only time i personaly find traps respond well to hevay weight is when your doing big deadlifts, e.g 270kg, since i find this really pulls on your traps and gives your handgrip a good burn lol
    Thanks ranging, you're the 2nd person (the 1st being a personal friend) who made this suggestion. Now and then I switch it up and do use the machine - never noticed a difference but it's possible that i'm not going heavy enough on it. I'm gonna try again this week - I DO like how the machine doesn't allow your arms to move off of that 'trajectory' and forces you to use only those side delts.

javerton is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Thanks ranging, you're the 2nd person (the 1st being a personal friend) who made this suggestion. Now and then I switch it up and do use the machine - never noticed a difference but it's possible that i'm not going heavy enough on it. I'm gonna try again this week - I DO like how the machine doesn't allow your arms to move off of that 'trajectory' and forces you to use only those side delts.
    I would be careful, genetics will dictate largely which exercises are effective. Just because two people said it works, doesn't mean it will work for your body. Of course you should try it out though, long enough to gauge whether it will be effective for you.

Quote Originally Posted by javerton View Post
    I would be careful, genetics will dictate largely which exercises are effective. Just because two people said it works, doesn't mean it will work for your body. Of course you should try it out though, long enough to gauge whether it will be effective for you.
    Good point, and absolutely true. I'm going to give it a shot on Friday. I 'tested' the movement today with an unweighted olympic bar, just to make sure I have the form correct. I can see how it would work that side delt very nicely, as well as traps/upper back and neck. I have a feeling incorporating this exercise is going to work for me - not that it's the end all be all, but I think I should have it in my routine.

Thread Information