Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    crazycoolguy007 is offline Junior Member

Some mass gain advice

I am 23 years old 5'7" and weigh 165-170 lbs. I want to gain more muscle mass and gain definition. is it completely impossible to do both at a time? My current routine is
    Monday. Chest / back
    tuesday. Legs
    Wednesday rest
    Thursday. Arms
    Friday. Shoulders
    saturday. Rest
    Sunday. Soccer

On a usual day my diet is
    breakfast. Protein shake plus oatmeal made with water not milk( I hate milk)

brunch. 3 whole eggs. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry a protein shake instead.

Lunch. chicken Sandwich with wheat bread, lettuce tomatoes, jalapenos, cucumbers, and mustard. Very little ranch too.

Snack. Apple with peanut butter or protein shake of I didn't already replace brunch with protein shake.

Dinner. Usually a skinny crust veggie pizza with chicken added no cheese. ( I work at a pizza place so this is readily available)

1 hr b4 bed. Protein shake.

I always take a protien shake after my workout which is usually after my snack. Along with some juice for the simple carbs.

Any suggestions for my desired goal? Critisism is welcome!

polly56 is offline Associate Member
    Yes you can do both at the same time... If your serious about gaining muscle you have to eat more, have 7 meals a day that will leave you stuffed, protein shakes arent meal replacements, their extra calories and protein with a meal. Use a calorie calculator to see how many calories u need a day and besure to reach ur requirements.

Remember Diet is just as important as your routine which you should probably post for us to look at...

goodluck

sixxer is offline Associate Member
    Yeh, you're not eating enough.

Just from your stats given I'd estimate around 3000cals/day would be required. Lift heavy, lower rep range and you'll gain lean mass. Squat, press and pull and eat and you'll be on the right track.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycoolguy007 View Post
    I am 23 years old 5'7" and weigh 165-170 lbs. I want to gain more muscle mass and gain definition. is it completely impossible to do both at a time? My current routine is
    Monday. Chest / back
    tuesday. Legs
    Wednesday rest
    Thursday. Arms
    Friday. Shoulders
    saturday. Rest
    Sunday. Soccer

On a usual day my diet is
    breakfast. Protein shake plus oatmeal made with water not milk( I hate milk)

brunch. 3 whole eggs. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry a protein shake instead.

Lunch. chicken Sandwich with wheat bread, lettuce tomatoes, jalapenos, cucumbers, and mustard. Very little ranch too.

Snack. Apple with peanut butter or protein shake of I didn't already replace brunch with protein shake.

Dinner. Usually a skinny crust veggie pizza with chicken added no cheese. ( I work at a pizza place so this is readily available)

1 hr b4 bed. Protein shake.

I always take a protien shake after my workout which is usually after my snack. Along with some juice for the simple carbs.

Any suggestions for my desired goal? Critisism is welcome!

I think u can do both in adding mass and leaning out at the same time. As the other fellas said diet is key.

With your split....are you doing deads and squats? I guess not with leg the day after back..

Hows this split look to you-

Chest/bis
    legs
    off
    delt/tri
    Back
    off

This would allow u to get the big compunds in the spilt, which with your stats is what you need. Lol, u will need more food then Bro.

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    ^^^^i like the split.

add some abs work in there too. maybe on back day. as legs works your abs nicley

crazycoolguy007 is offline Junior Member
    What I was originally doing was on Monday I'd follow the p90x chest and back workout which I kinda liked but doesn't do much for the lower back. I'd add stiff leg dead lift to my leg workout cuz it seems to be a good workout for my hamstrings to. I'd add some back extesions with that. But I will definitely give ur suggested routine a try plus add some more food. Should I incorporate cardio to reduce body fat? If so when?

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What I was originally doing was on Monday I'd follow the p90x chest and back workout which I kinda liked but doesn't do much for the lower back. I'd add stiff leg dead lift to my leg workout cuz it seems to be a good workout for my hamstrings to. I'd add some back extesions with that. But I will definitely give ur suggested routine a try plus add some more food. Should I incorporate cardio to reduce body fat? If so when?
    I would say yes to cardio, PWO 30-40 mins at a steady rate.

polly56 is offline Associate Member
    i dont think P90X is going to add any bulk... when the fella up their said low rep range im sure he was talking less then 8 reps, if you can do more then 20 pushups P90X isnt for you

evil30 is offline Junior Member
    P90x is a GREAT program for leaning up and defining but not bilking IMHO. I agree with heavy low rep lifting and a solid clean diet with heavy protein.

Thread Information