SkurviSine is offline New Member

18 yr old training/diet help

Hi guys i'm a natural 18 year old, 6 foot 3 aprox 225 pounds, 16-17% bf. I'm wondering if there's anything I'm doing wrong. I always progressively overload (on the Failure sets), always try to lift with good form etc.

My diet isn't strict but I prety much eat the same food everyday. Here's an example

Morning: 3 whole eggs 2 egg whites, 2 pieces of bread, large glass of milk

Meal 2: 200-250g chicken + brown rice (1 and half hour pre workout)

Post workout 1 + 1/2 scoop Optimum nutrition whey

Meal 3: 200-250g chicken + brown rice

Meal 4: 200-250g chicken + brown rice

Meal 5: 200-250g chicken + brown rice

Meal 6: 300g cottage cheese, almonds, milk

Monday: Chest/Tris
    Dumbell Bench press 1x8, 1x5F
    Incline BB Bench 1x12, 1x8, 1x5, 1x5F
    Cable Cross Overs 3-4x10
    Dumbell Pullovers 3-4x12-20

Close grip bench 1x12, 1x8, 1x5F - 1x dropset
    Dumbell Skull Crushers 1x12, 1x8, 1x8F
    Rope Pushdown 4x12+

Tuesday: Back/Bis
    Seated 1 arm row machine 1x12, 1x8, 1x8, 1x5F
    Pull downs 1x12, 1x8, 1x8, 1x5
    Superset Close grip pulldowns and Seated wide rows, 4 sets

Chinups Superset with Barbell Curls x4
    Preacher Curl x3
    5 sets of 1 arm cable curls (100% isolation)

Wednesday:
    Legs

Squats 1x5, 1x3-12 Failure
    Leg Press 1x20, 1x12, 1x10, 1x8F
    Leg Extenstions 1x20, 1x12, 1x10, 1x8F
    Other Leg press machine 3-4 x 20

Ham glute raises x 4
    Hamstring machine x4

Thursday:
    Bis/Calves

Friday: Delts/Tris
    Overhead press excersise 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x5F
    Behind neck press smith machine 1x12, 1x10, 1x8
    Lateral Raises 5x12
    (don't do front raises atm it messes with my shoulder a bit)
    Bent over Raises

Tri work

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I'm not gonna critique everything cuz I don't have time. All I can say right now is that you need rest in between days of big bodyparts, and that one week per month should be the below split done two times per week, monday and thursday.

squat - 6 sets - 8-20 reps
    deads - 5 sets - 8-15 reps (do this only one time per week)
    dips - 6 sets - 8-15
    decline bench - 6 sets - 6-12
    standing military - 6 sets - 10-20
    standing rows (arnold style) - 4 sets - 10-15
    pullups - 50 reps (no matter how many sets it takes, start with 35 reps then move up depending on how well you can do it)

make sure you rest 2.5-4 days in between workouts. No less, no weights in between.

Cousinbutch is offline Associate Member
    You'll get better diet help if you post it in the diet section.

Trying to cut, bulk what?

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    how much protein carbs and fat is that per day?

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    We need your goals in order to critique properly. However, that diet seems a bit too redundant and reserved for an 18 year old in my opinion. Secondly, as the above poster mentioned you need to have a rest day somewhere in between big lift days. Third, I see WAY too much emphasis on the bi's and tri's rather than the back and chest on those two days along with an absence of more compound movements. I just don't have anything good to say about that split but do not have the time to make a new one can anyone else help me out?

n00bs is offline Member
    Begginer?

Squat 3 times a week wheres the deadlifts?

Train like a pro boddybuilder when you are closer to one..

Get a base first..

Splits do nothing to boost hormone production, compounds do..

As a begginer you need a full body workout 3 times a week with lots of food and sleep and you will become a powerhouse...

Pay your dues under hard iron, no cables crap rubbish.. Barbells dumbells squats squats squats...

You also have no fruit and no vegetables? When you start realising how you rliver metabolises phytochemicals and how your liver also processes oestrogen you quicly up your vegetable intake!

Vegies or salad with most meals..
    Last edited by n00bs; 07-12-2010 at 06:34 AM.

andyt is offline New Member
    was splits an compounds??

n00bs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    was splits an compounds??

I meant to say splits i.e isolation as oppsoed to full body / compound work...

Try PTC begginers program ( www.ptcfrankston.com )

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    SLDL 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

Begginer till squat 1rm is 150, deadlift 210 and bench is 120...

Then feel free to do what ever split am/pm progrma you choose just know you now have a solid foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by n00bs View Post
    Begginer?

Squat 3 times a week wheres the deadlifts?

Train like a pro boddybuilder when you are closer to one..

Get a base first..

Splits do nothing to boost hormone production, compounds do..

As a begginer you need a full body workout 3 times a week with lots of food and sleep and you will become a powerhouse...

Pay your dues under hard iron, no cables crap rubbish.. Barbells dumbells squats squats squats...

You also have no fruit and no vegetables? When you start realising how you rliver metabolises phytochemicals and how your liver also processes oestrogen you quicly up your vegetable intake!

Vegies or salad with most meals..
    I'm still young but I wouldn't call myself a beginner man last time I maxed my deadlift (which was 6 months ago at 91kg) was 500 pounds. My squat is currently around 350.

It's not that I havn't tried full body routines, i've done rippetoes, 5x5, westside, gave these a try numerous times and my body didn't really respond at all. the way I may train now I still am able to add more weight, more reps everyweek but as twist said I think it'd be wise to add a deload week

EDIT: also I do eat a fair bit of fruit and veg it's just I don't include them in my diet because I add them to any meals i wish

n00bs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkurviSine View Post
    I'm still young but I wouldn't call myself a beginner man last time I maxed my deadlift (which was 6 months ago at 91kg) was 500 pounds. My squat is currently around 350.

It's not that I havn't tried full body routines, i've done rippetoes, 5x5, westside, gave these a try numerous times and my body didn't really respond at all. the way I may train now I still am able to add more weight, more reps everyweek but as twist said I think it'd be wise to add a deload week

EDIT: also I do eat a fair bit of fruit and veg it's just I don't include them in my diet because I add them to any meals i wish
    If you wernt gaining from whole body you wernt eating enough or sleeping enough...

It is impossible to get big sqautting and deadlifting..

Only reason i suggested that approach was because of your age so i wasnt sure of your current lifts ect.

Your squat is really lacking behind your dead (from my covnerison to kg i dont understand pounds).

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    6'3 225 16% BF at 18 years old and he wants to know what he is doing wrong!

Dude you are going to be huge no matter what you do with genetics like that.

But you still haven't said what your goals are. Get big? lean out? Stronger?

If you wernt gaining from whole body you wernt eating enough or sleeping enough...

It is impossible to get big sqautting and deadlifting..

Only reason i suggested that approach was because of your age so i wasnt sure of your current lifts ect.

Your squat is really lacking behind your dead (from my covnerison to kg i dont understand pounds).
    I'm sure I was getting enough sleep. My diet has always been pretty similar to this just chicken and rice lol. But the calories are there. A lot of the time it seems when I do a full body or somthing it acts like a deload month or whatever and when I get back on a split i get gains fast.

Yeah 100% agree about the squat to deadlift. Since i'm tall and have long arms my deadlift is good but then my squat and bench are pretty terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
    6'3 225 16% BF at 18 years old and he wants to know what he is doing wrong!

Dude you are going to be huge no matter what you do with genetics like that.

But you still haven't said what your goals are. Get big? lean out? Stronger?
    My genetics where pretty pathetic man. it took me a LONG time to get no where really. I started benching 5kg dumbells on my kitchen table and it wouldve took me like a year to get to 1 plate bench for reps.

MY goal is to get huge lol but I don't want to sacrifice bodyfat. I'm actually cutting fairly soon without cardio just modifying diet to hopefully keep as much mass as possible

n00bs is offline Member
    FFS add vegies fruit and salad...

FFS add vegies fruit and salad...
    This is from my other post

I try to eat vegetables in 2 meals, maybe brocoli in 2 meals, an orange, a banana and an apple a day + a multi

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkurviSine View Post

My genetics where pretty pathetic man. it took me a LONG time to get no where really. I started benching 5kg dumbells on my kitchen table and it wouldve took me like a year to get to 1 plate bench for reps.

MY goal is to get huge lol but I don't want to sacrifice bodyfat. I'm actually cutting fairly soon without cardio just modifying diet to hopefully keep as much mass as possible
    Dude no offense but I don't think you have an understanding of genetics if you think yours are "pathetic" with the numbers you listed. Took you how long to get there?? What did you start lifting and eating right at 14 or something?? Doubt it.

Dude at 18 the average male is about 5'9-10 and a 150-165.

You will be growing for 10 more years (weight wise).

By the time you are 25 if you keep working out you will be a monster. It does not happen overnight.

I would love to see a pic or something to make a better assessment but from what you told us your genetics are FAR from pathetic. I was 5'10 140 at 18 and at 32 I am now 5'10 210lbs....a solid 210. That my friend is weak genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
    Dude no offense but I don't think you have an understanding of genetics if you think yours are "pathetic" with the numbers you listed. Took you how long to get there?? What did you start lifting and eating right at 14 or something?? Doubt it.

Dude at 18 the average male is about 5'9-10 and a 150-165.

You will be growing for 10 more years (weight wise).

By the time you are 25 if you keep working out you will be a monster. It does not happen overnight.

I would love to see a pic or something to make a better assessment but from what you told us your genetics are FAR from pathetic. I was 5'10 140 at 18 and at 32 I am now 5'10 210lbs....a solid 210. That my friend is weak genetics.
    Haha yeah true I understand that genetics isn't just about how you start but also how you progress it's just online you see so many teen FREAKS with 18+ inch arms etc it's just not normal.

Well this is where I started. I was almost 16 in these pics and 76kg
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8972/20073on0.jpg
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4203/20071da2.jpg
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8131/20072qj1.jpg

this was me late last year at 92kg (added a lot more back thickness /arm mass since then)

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/8...5239672830.jpg

and this is a crappy webcam pic of me at around 98-99kg. relaxed but tris are tenced
    http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/447...fpicture10.jpg

You have to remember I'm tall, i'm around 6'3 - 4 so I still have a LONG time to fill out.
    Last edited by SkurviSine; 07-15-2010 at 12:57 AM.

n00bs is offline Member
    More squats more deadlfits

more rows

more presses..

Lookin good mate.

Thread Information