Hsheer is offline Junior Member

When to do cardio ?

earlier i used to play soccer so i didn't care about doing cardio. Now I'm not playing soccer any more.

I'm planning to add some cardio to my training now. I'm working to an Oil Company so it's difficult to workout in the morning and i don't have time to go two times to the gym.

So i Like doing cardio while I'm in the gym lifting weight.

But when I decided to do low intense cardio before my workout somebody told me you will lose your power. So I shift it to the end of my workout. again somebody told me it's a great anabolic time you should be eating not training. In both cases they told me if you do workout and cardio at the same time you will exceed one hour and you should not train more than one hour ?

What do you think ? can I drink a protein shake after my workout and rest for 15 min and do a low intense training like walking or cycling ?

Blog Entries
    personaly id do cardio immidiatly after weight training cus you glycogen levels are low and your primed for fat loss....then after your done have a protien shake...i dont feel that your window of opportunity as far as growth is concered shuts down in an hour as many peeps have done things this way for many years with great success...that being said i am no expert on this but it had worked for me....so i say give it a go and see how you make out....good luck...

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Lift, then do your cardio, then take your PWO nutrition.

The anabolic window is much longer than 1 hour, and you won't loose gains by doing cardio after training or not eating for 30 min or however long it takes you to do cardio.

King Antichrist is offline New Member
    Um... Who's that guy who said you shouldn't workout more than an hour? Lol

I 100% agree with D7M. Do your cardio right after your weight lifting training. That's what i did and i lost over 35 pounds in the last few months (And i haven't lost all my muscle mass...But that comes from teh diet anyway). When i started out, i used to do my cardio before weight training which someone also told me i should be doing after. Once i started doing it after, i felt i had more "power" during my weight lifting sessions.

Hsheer is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all, I'll do cardio after workout as per your recommendation. I think 20-30 min is enough since I'm looking for weight lose I'm looking for a healthier system.

Am I right ?

King Antichrist is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsheer View Post
    Thank you all, I'll do cardio after workout as per your recommendation. I think 20-30 min is enough since I'm looking for weight lose I'm looking for a healthier system.

Am I right ?
    Yeah, that should be enough. 4-5 times a week. Goal here is just to burn an extra amount of calories over the ones you are burning in your day + weight training... So that the calories deficit by the end of the day\week is higher which makes the weight loss improved. (Well, not sure if that's 100% correct but it makes sense) At some point, if you consider you're not loosing anymore weight (Or too slowly), up your time a bit. The more you loose weight, the less calories you need per day (So check your diet as you progress with weight loss).

Also, i personally do HIIT cardio. I do 22mins 4 times a week after weight training. If after tweaking my diet with less calories (because i lost weight), I'm still not loosing as quick as I'd want it to, i'll up my time to something like 30mins HIIT 5 times a week.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I agree with D7M.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

AlphaMaleDawg is offline Senior Member
    there is an ongoing debate about this one. Some say first thing fasted in the morning, others say immediately post workout. I personally think immediately post workout has given me the best results, and I read in Flex recently that it's better post workout as well

Jiggy902 is offline New Member
    I remember sometime back. I would do my cardio before the weights. Worst thing ever. Huge head acks and no power.

TRT2010 is offline Member
    yup.. i am doing mine post work out as well

latitude is offline New Member
    does 10 minute run to get the blood pumping as a warm up count as cardio? Certainly always felt good for me...

nvmy22s is offline New Member
    I have been doing 45 mins to an hour, have some extra weight id like to drop. I do it after my work out. is that too much. A guy at the gym said 30 mins would be enough and I'm just burning myself out.

Thread Information