giblets is offline New Member

Question Old School Method ?

Last edited by giblets; 09-11-2010 at 09:42 PM.

maxdose is offline Junior Member
    It looks like a good bit of volume without enough recovery but nothing is 'old school' really.
    I dont think alot of people train like this all that often for bodybuilding, if you can handle it and recover from it and make progress theres nothing wrong with it.
    But I would personally become overtrained from such a program.
    Give it a try, after 3-4 weeks if its burning you out-change to another less volume heavy program-changing up from time to time will be neccsesary anyways, just to keep from getting stale.

olderfella is offline Associate Member
    Not enough recovery time imo,what are your aims n goals?

Last edited by giblets; 09-11-2010 at 09:42 PM.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by maxdose View Post
    It looks like a good bit of volume without enough recovery but nothing is 'old school' really.
    Actually, it is old school. Total body workouts are an old school workout philosophy. That's not to say they're dead or aren't used today; they certainly are. But they've been around for decades and were the preferred training method for alot of the BBers back in the 40's and 50's. These people managed to get massive without any gear whatsoever. Just real food and high frequency, total body training.

Having said that, the only problem that I see with your workout is that it's poorly planned. Granted we don't know how many exercises and sets you're doing, but you could easily be overtraining. Nothing wrong with a TBW, but you can't 'kill' it every time, since you aren't giving your body much time until the next workout. The point is high frequency workouts with intensity, so volume has to be low or you'll burn out quickly.

Yours would be better IMO with taking Tues and Thurs completely off to give your body and CNS a rest. Also, you should most definitely not be doing much volume in terms of exercises and sets. I've done TBW in the past and I liked doing an upper body push, upper body pull, a leg exercise, and some supplemental exercise. Example would be Incline Bench Press, Chin Ups, Deadlift. You can throw a shaping exercise in there, but you have your big 3. Your hitting chest, tri's and shoulders with the BP, Delts and bi's with the chins, legs, lower back, traps, forearms, etc. with the DL. Then whatever other exercise you choose to throw in to work on a particular group.

Wed would be something like Decline BP, Underhand Grip Lat Pull down, Squat. Throw another one in there for a bodypart you feel is lagging.

Fri would be the next workout and would be similar to Monday's, although you can and should vary exercises to keep it fresh.

Just my .02
    Last edited by gbrice75; 09-02-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Last edited by giblets; 09-11-2010 at 09:43 PM.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by BOFF View Post
    This is what I used to do back in the day and how I was thought.

Ab's - 2 times per weeks

Mondays - Cardio in the Morning, Full Upper Body Workout (Weights) Evening

Tuesday- Cardio in the Morning, Full Lower Body Workout (Weights) Evening

Thrsday- Cardio-Morning, Full Upper Body Workout (Weights) Evening

Friday- Cardio- Morning, Full Lower Body Workout (Weights) Evening

Keep volume low, intensity high (one or two work sets per bodypart, incorperate rest pause etc...)

Now does this sound O.K ? or should I change it ?

Some people are telling me this workout schedule is Old School .
    See bold

Last edited by giblets; 09-11-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Thread Information