Thread: bulk up help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mrichardson23 is offline New Member

bulk up help

Hi

I am looking to bulk up as much as i can naturally before doing any steroids . I am looking for any help with my routine.

I do a 3 week routine the first week is 4sets of the heaviest weight. The 2nd i use heavy weights but with a 4second negative and on the third i use medium weight and work to failure.

A typical week is this:
    Monday. Chest bicep and abs
    Tuesday. Legs
    Thursday. Shoulders triceps abs
    Friday. Back traps forearms

On the heavy week i do mostly compound exercises bench press square dead lifts
    The second i add some isolation exercises like lateral raises
    On the third i just mix it up

Current stats

Bench. 90kg
    Shoulder press dumbell. 27kg each side
    Dead lift 90kg
    Squat. 80kg

Age 28
    Bf 11.5%
    Height 6.1
    Weight 175pounds

Below is what a day to day plan for eating is

Breakfast museli
    Snack protein shake and tin makeral
    Lunch brown pasta spinach chicken breast passata
    Tea brown pasta chicken breast veg

Any help with the workout or diet is much appreciated

Cheers mike

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    Your workout split is good you just need to eat alot more. You should be eating around 3400-3500 cals per. day. About 90-95% of your meals should be "healthy " or "clean".

Thanks for that.

How much cardio would u recommend. I generally do football for an hour Monday,2 - 3 mile run Sunday and some times i do a timed 1.5mile run in the gym on thursdays completing it within 10min to 10min 30sec. Is this too much too little etc

That should be enough cardio. You may want to eat a little more on Football days.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Eat eat eat. Your plan is what I'd do if I wanted to cut.. haha.

Loki387 is offline Junior Member
    I really don't see why forearms actually need to be worked out on their own... to get a pump I usually do these on bicep days and when i dor EZ bar curls or even DB curls ill when i reach extension ill roll the bar or DB out onto my fingers then roll them up again.. best forearm work out !.. but be careful

And eat like a m*****f*****... healthy of course... head over to diet forum and get it sorted

OP, Everyone's different man. I bulked most on 1 bodypart/day. I did chest, shoulders, back, legs, arms all on separate days. 4-5 exercises per workout, 4 sets of 6-8 reps. I also ate like, 2 egg sandwiches when I woke up, 2 breakfast burritos when I got to work, 3 chicken breasts and veges from the chow hall (military), which I ate as much chicken as could and ate the rest throughout the afternoon, a pasta snack around 4pm, lifted at 5ish, protein shake, then whatever dinner I could come up with around 7:30pm. It wasn't this exact everyday, but similar. Whenever I had the urge to eat, I ate without hesitation. It wasn't the cleanest diet but I wasn't looking to compete. I wanted size and strength. I went from like skinny 140lbs and weak, no prior lifting, to 190lbs and strong, 12%bf.

Eating is what i need then haha . Th only worry i have with eating so much is putting on too much fat as i have just lost a shed load to get a base frame for building. Is there any way of avoiding this or is just goin to happen

As for the for arm work out its more me doing hammers and one thing on my fore arms. Basically my forearms are crap an need the work
    Last edited by mrichardson23; 11-22-2011 at 12:47 PM.

You can't bulk and shred at the same time. You can slowly slowly slowly get bigger while trying to keep shredded. But IMO, and especially now that it's winter time, I prefer to bulk up now, not eating crap, but not worrying too much about super clean/shred diet. Then, depending on how long it takes you, give yourself 4-6 weeks of sculpting again before it gets hot outside.

And it's not like you are going to wake up and be like "wtf! Im fat!". Just pay attention to your body and if you feel you are getting a little more fat than you want, then cut back on calories or whatnot. or cardio. IMO, it's good to experiment with your own body as far as workouts and eating. What's good for others may not be good for you. After years of gym work and different goals, I know what I can do to bulk, what I can do to cut, to gain the most strength, or size. GL.

BTW, here's a basic workout I used when I was fairly new to lifting that worked for me as far as strength and size. I did 3-4 sets, 6-8 reps.
    Day 1: Flat bench, Incline bench, Decline bench, Flies (all dumbbells)
    Day 2: Military Press, Front raises, Side Raises, Shrugs
    Day 3: Pullups (as a warmup), Wide Lat Pull Downs, Close Grip Pulldowns, Bentover Rows, Reverse Flies (Brain fart, can't come up with real name), Lower Back Extensions.
    Day 4: Seated bicep curls (as a warmup),Barbell curls, Hammers, Concentration Curls, Spider curls, Pushdowns, Skullcrushers, Dips.
    Day 5: Leg Press, Leg Extensions, Leg curls, Calf Raises.

Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme View Post
    You can't bulk and shred at the same time. You can slowly slowly slowly get bigger while trying to keep shredded. But IMO, and especially now that it's winter time, I prefer to bulk up now, not eating crap, but not worrying too much about super clean/shred diet. Then, depending on how long it takes you, give yourself 4-6 weeks of sculpting again before it gets hot outside.

And it's not like you are going to wake up and be like "wtf! Im fat!". Just pay attention to your body and if you feel you are getting a little more fat than you want, then cut back on calories or whatnot. or cardio. IMO, it's good to experiment with your own body as far as workouts and eating. What's good for others may not be good for you. After years of gym work and different goals, I know what I can do to bulk, what I can do to cut, to gain the most strength, or size. GL.

BTW, here's a basic workout I used when I was fairly new to lifting that worked for me as far as strength and size. I did 3-4 sets, 6-8 reps.
    Day 1: Flat bench, Incline bench, Decline bench, Flies (all dumbbells)
    Day 2: Military Press, Front raises, Side Raises, Shrugs
    Day 3: Pullups (as a warmup), Wide Lat Pull Downs, Close Grip Pulldowns, Bentover Rows, Reverse Flies (Brain fart, can't come up with real name), Lower Back Extensions.
    Day 4: Seated bicep curls (as a warmup),Barbell curls, Hammers, Concentration Curls, Spider curls, Pushdowns, Skullcrushers, Dips.
    Day 5: Leg Press, Leg Extensions, Leg curls, Calf Raises.
    Seems like a lot over overlapping muscle groups. You are working shoulders the day after chest. flat/incline press hit shoulders. Your working bis the day after back and pullups/pulldowns rows hit bis and then they are getting hit again the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by gmantheman View Post
    Seems like a lot over overlapping muscle groups. You are working shoulders the day after chest. flat/incline press hit shoulders. Your working bis the day after back and pullups/pulldowns rows hit bis and then they are getting hit again the next day.
    Like I said, may not be for you. May not be "text book" or the same splits that others think are best... but it's what I did and I got exactly what I wanted out of it. My shoulders got huge and strong. My bi's were never tired before I worked them on bi's day even after back... and I worked hard every training. I went from being the skinny guy to having the big guys asking me questions and for spots in less than 6 months.

Thread Information