DangleSnipe69 is offline New Member

Workout plan help.

I have been lifting for about 4-5 months and I was going 5-6 days a week of lifting and 1 cardio day. I feel I burnt myself out and have no energy/motivation to get myself to the gym. Plus it was way too much for someone new to the gym. Could anyone help me with a 3 day split what workouts and what groups to do together? I am thinking about doing the 5x5 plan since I'm new to lifting. Thanks.

skeeter715 is offline New Member
    Hey man I hope you enjoyed the 4-5 months and feel good from working out. I feel that is key to keeping motivation. Of course real world stuff can get in the way. I use to get tired after work but found ways to push myself by thinking to myself not to quit. Half the battle is going. One thing I can say is this. If you are going to do something, give it your all. this applies to anything. School, work, working out. Easy things are not worth doing. I do not know your real life routine whether you are in school or work, but I have a 3 day split to help you and hopefully you will yearn for more. You said you were new, so I will keep a simple split and at the end I will add advan***ents you could potentially amend.

Day1:
    Chest: Incline 3-4 sets, Flat 3-4 sets, Decline 3-4 sets. You can add in some flys either on cable or dumbbell
    *Since your chest hits your triceps I suggest doing tri same day.
    Tris- Rope Pull down 3 sets a fav of mine. This one I suggest doing slow and controlled, dumbbell kickbacks 3 sets, end with dips till failure.

Day 2.
    Back: This is prob my fav day I will give you a back A and Back B bc there are a lot of muscles in the back. Alternate them week by week
    Back A: Focuses on widening back and lat width.
    Pull ups 3-4 sets. Lat pull down 3-4 sets. Close grip pull ups 3-4 sets. Close grip pull downs 3-4 sets. Finish with reverse flys to hit rear dealts.
    Back B: Focuses heavy and middle thickness.
    Pull ups warm up. Deadlift 3-4 sets. T-Bar Row 3-4 sets. One arm dumbbell row 3-4 sets.
    Since part of your biceps are used might as well kill em.
    Seated curls supersetted with standing hammer curls, 3 sets. Preacher dumbbell curls 3 sets. finish with reverse curls 3 sets.

Day 3:
    Legs/Shoulder.
    If you were stranded on an island and there was one exercise you need its Squats. Squatting is the KING of all exercises. A lot of test is released on squats and will help in all areas.
    Squat 3-4 sets. Leg press 3-4 sets. Leg extensions. 3-4 sets. This focuses on quads. Alternate next week some calves in as well but make sure you squat
    Shoulders: Military press or overhead dumbbell press. 3-4 sets. Front raises supersetted with side lateral raises 3 sets. Shrugs 3 sets

Additional notes:
    I have three to four sets. Start off 3 and then when you get into routine add the fourth.

On chest and back, do 2 of the three secondary exercises for tris and bis, otherwise you will be there all night if you are not moving at a good pace.

Mix things ups, do exercises I did not list as well and see what works really well for you. I have the day order set bc you do not want certain muscles tired like triceps and chest then you are doing shoulders next day. That can take away from a good shoulder day.

From my personal experience, please don't do behind head presses. This places strain on rotator cuff and labrum. I tore my labrum, so those exercises are out of my workout plan.

One last thing, Stay motivated, whatever reason you started whether its a new years resolution, for girls, or just to be healthier, keep at it. I didn't do this but its something to think about. Make a photo album ( yea sounds kinda corny) but you will see progression and see how far you have come and realize then endless limit you can reach, Hope this helps. I hope others can add and I hope I have been helpful.

Thread Information