ranging1 is offline Anabolic Member

close grip bench press technique?

thought id see people opinion

when doing close grip bench press i usually go full range of motion

e.g from just off my chest, to fully extended arms

my question is do u think this is the most effective form for building triceps?

ive noticed that triceps during a close grip movement are primarily hit during the first top half of the motion

(half way off your chest, to fully extended arms)

the bottom half is usually a stretch, and alot of your chest comes into play during this part

do you think that it might be better (for tricep size and strength) to only lower the bar 70% of the way down towards your chest?

maybe it might deliver better tricep workout?

your opinions?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I'd love to know the answer to this as well since I just started incorporating this exercise. Also, how close do you typically keep your hands? I can't have my hands 'touch' because that absolutely kills my shoulders and elbows... so I keep them about 4-6 inches apart. I hope that doesn't take stress off of the tri's and add to the chest...

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I think the bottom is good if you focus on "dropping" the weight on your tri's. Keep your elbows in and focus on letting the weight fall on our tri's. Try and not use other muscles, try focusing all your strength on pusing up with your tris
    Last edited by Machdiesel; 01-06-2010 at 11:25 AM.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I do mine using a smith machine. I line on the floor and lower the weight until my elbows hit the floor then press all the way up. It really seems to target the tricep...throw in a slight pause at the bottom of the movement and you're set!

Critical Mass is offline Senior Member
    Put a soda bottle or a plank on your chest.

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    i go to where my upper arms are just past parallel with my upper body (bar about 2-3 inches from my chest) then back up, but without a lockout at the top to keep the tri under tension the whole time.

Moto

green22 is offline Senior Member
    Ive tried everything and cant figure this one out either.

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    try L technique,stop about 4-6 inches from lower chest,(the bar might actually fall just under lower chest) pause for 2 seconds then back up,do not totally lock elbows.

ranging1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I'd love to know the answer to this as well since I just started incorporating this exercise. Also, how close do you typically keep your hands? I can't have my hands 'touch' because that absolutely kills my shoulders and elbows... so I keep them about 4-6 inches apart. I hope that doesn't take stress off of the tri's and add to the chest...
    about 5-6 inches apart for me, i find its the best spot to hit your triceps, keep pressure off your chest and prevents you straining your wrists, if you grab in the centre u can risk easily damaging your wrists

Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    I think the bottom is good if you focus on "dropping" the weight on your tri's. Keep your elbows in and focus on letting the weight fall on our tri's. Try and not use other muscles, try focusing all your strength on pusing up with your tris
    this is what im doing atm, seems to work well

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    I do mine using a smith machine. I line on the floor and lower the weight until my elbows hit the floor then press all the way up. It really seems to target the tricep...throw in a slight pause at the bottom of the movement and you're set!
    thats gotta be one of the smartest ideas fo heard of, definetaly giving this a try

Quote Originally Posted by green22 View Post
    Ive tried everything and cant figure this one out either.
    what do you find works better?

i find if i go all the way down i feel my tricep stretch, but i also feel at the bottom my chest comes into play alot even when my elbows are kept in

Quote Originally Posted by j4ever41 View Post
    try L technique,stop about 4-6 inches from lower chest,(the bar might actually fall just under lower chest) pause for 2 seconds then back up,do not totally lock elbows.
    ive heard of this but ive also heard alot of criticism against this technique, but ill give it a try, guess different things work differently for everyone

BY LOOKS OF IT, do most people find lowering the bar to just off your chest to where your elbows are just below parralel with your chest the best method to perform close grip?

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    I let that baby go all the way down to my chest. I feel a great stretch with this motion and counteract any cheating by holding it there for a second before going back up. I see some guys bouncing the bar off their chest and it's like, why even do this exercise?

G Lock is offline Banned
    Full range of motion !

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I never lock my elbows when I push the bar all the way up, since I go really heavy with close grip bench press and that kind of weight puts a lot of stress on my joints if I ever lock my elbows.

I have a few tips for those who cannot feel this exercise;

- Start the routine with a pump set, and go heavy with a 6-10 rep range without loosing the initial feeling of pump.

- Get rid of the smith machine, try free weight, if possible, get a spotter.

- Concentrate on the negative contraction as much as possible, feel the weight on your triceps when you are going down.

- Finish with a drop set, which you are much better off having a spotter for this, especially with free weight.

Thread Information