Thread: Shoulders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Psaletta is offline Member

Shoulders

Am seeing good progress in my traps and delts.. It looks like my rear delts are not as developed as my front ones. What is a good exercise to help with this?

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    reverse pec dec BUT keep your elbows up!

or you can use dumbbells and do rear delt flys

nkyle90 is offline Associate Member
    I like to do bent over barbell rows. really thickened my rear Delts over time

havanakid is offline Associate Member
    Reverse pec decs at least 4 to 5 sets if its really laggin...keep your arms as straight as possible and elbows up to really target the area or youll be working your back instead.

Quote Originally Posted by havanakid View Post
    Reverse pec decs at least 4 to 5 sets if its really laggin...keep your arms as straight as possible and elbows up to really target the area or youll be working your back instead.
    i disagree with that part.

when using reverse pec dec, bend your arms and concentrate on pulling back with your elbows. elbows should be same height as shoulders or higher if possible. the entire movement is very small - maybe 15" if that. the rear delt is not a large muscle and doesn't take much to work it if you target it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    i disagree with that part.

when using reverse pec dec, bend your arms and concentrate on pulling back with your elbows. elbows should be same height as shoulders or higher if possible. the entire movement is very small - maybe 15" if that. the rear delt is not a large muscle and doesn't take much to work it if you target it properly.
    Well theres always gonna be a little bend but the more you bend the more it becomes a lower lat exercise imo.

Quote Originally Posted by havanakid View Post
    Well theres always gonna be a little bend but the more you bend the more it becomes a lower lat exercise imo.
    not even close if your arms are bent and your elbows are elevated properly. try it next time youre in the gym bro..you'll see what i mean..

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    not even close if your arms are bent and your elbows are elevated properly. try it next time youre in the gym bro..you'll see what i mean..
    Damn I feel more isolation the straighter I keep my arms but I ll give it a shot on thursday cause it wont hurt any to try but Im coming after you if my back gets bigger...lol..like that would be a bad thing.Good looking out.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yeah like Mickeyknox said when targeting the rear delts you need to lead w/ your elbows which should be close to 90 deg. bend. Whenever I perform a rear delt exercise I constantly imagine elbowing someone who is standing behind me...this almost always causes me to lead w/ my elbows and insures the rear delts are getting most of the work.

Great advise guys.. I work out at home and dont have a pec deck machine.. but, I do have a great bench that I can put on incline and lie on my belly to do so, I will also give the bent rows a shot.. I have a nice ban that I have currently just been wrapping around my squat stand and been doing the pec deck motion but, NEVER feel like im getting anywhere with the thing..I have plenty of heavy DB i can use.. Thanks agian.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaletta View Post
    Great advise guys.. I work out at home and dont have a pec deck machine.. but, I do have a great bench that I can put on incline and lie on my belly to do so, I will also give the bent rows a shot.. I have a nice ban that I have currently just been wrapping around my squat stand and been doing the pec deck motion but, NEVER feel like im getting anywhere with the thing..I have plenty of heavy DB i can use.. Thanks agian.
    Yeah set the bench on a slight incline grab some db's and straddle the bench. Hang your chest slightly over the top of the bench and then lower the db's to full arm extension and then perform a row leading w/ your elbows. This is one of my favorite exercises as well as face pulls!

stpete is offline Banned
    Deadlifts will help too.

Brick is offline Member
    Can anyone maybe post a video of the elbow bend way? I am trying to do it (not in gym) but I only feel it in my lats (near upper spine) but when I do arms completely straight I hit rear delt

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucka
    Can anyone maybe post a video of the elbow bend way? I am trying to do it (not in gym) but I only feel it in my lats (near upper spine) but when I do arms completely straight I hit rear delt
    Negate that post. Just did them with elbows back and it killed. So good! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka View Post
    Negate that post. Just did them with elbows back and it killed. So good! Thanks!
    Good deal glad you're feeling it bro!

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Lie on a bench sideways so that your body and legs are on the bench with your downward arm hanging off the end (bench under your arm pit)... Your lying on your side as if your doing a sidewards plank but the bench is supporting you...

Witht the other arm use a light dumbbell and perform a similar movement to what you do on the reverse pec deck....this is my favourite rear delt movement by far....

Hard to explain but u will work it out....

Thanks guys. I actually found a pretty nice all in one station deal at a gym that was closing with a pec deck attachment on it. Kicked my ass. also has a row and lat pull down attachments.. So it's now my back day machine.. It feels great to get that burn in the rear delts..

Thread Information