Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chi
  • 1 Post By chi

Thread: 10x10 squats

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member

10x10 squats

Can't remember who mentioned to try this, but I did it the other day.
    155lb x 10 sets of 10 reps, super deep.
    Followed each set up with body weight squats 20-30 reps... That was leg day.
    That was 4 days ago and my legs still ache!! Unreal. My gf gave me a dead leg and I almost smacked her into oblivion lol

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Glad its working

JWP806 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj111
    That was 4 days ago and my legs still ache!! Unreal. My gf gave me a dead leg and I almost smacked her into oblivion lol
    You should have...

basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Cj111, you were the member that posted the great calf routine that I am currently doing. Seeing how great that worked, I think I will have to go ahead and give this one a shot too. I have a few questions on the routine however.

Do you do the body squats immediately after each set, or do you have a brief rest period? Do you have a rest period after the body squats before performing the next set? What do you mean by "super deep" exactly? Below parallel? I suppose like most other exercises, the reps should be done slowly too?

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    10x10's have always sounded horrible to me. It's like taking an enema instead of a pill. Sure it might be a little more effective, something different, something new, but is all that really worth having to bend over and stick something up your ass? I say no.

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    10x10's have always sounded horrible to me. It's like taking an enema instead of a pill. Sure it might be a little more effective, something different, something new, but is all that really worth having to bend over and stick something up your ass? I say no.
    LMAO! I am dead after my leg workout regardless, so I don't mind.

I've done 10x10 on bench which I enjoyed. Squats are a whole different story. How much rest after the body squats. Next time try jump squats after your weighted squats. Just bring a bucket!

-Heat

Cj111, you were the member that posted the great calf routine that I am currently doing. Seeing how great that worked, I think I will have to go ahead and give this one a shot too. I have a few questions on the routine however.

Do you do the body squats immediately after each set, or do you have a brief rest period? Do you have a rest period after the body squats before performing the next set? What do you mean by "super deep" exactly? Below parallel? I suppose like most other exercises, the reps should be done slowly too?
    Deep as in well below parallel, like bottom out. Trying to mimic how deep they go on the clean n jerk.
    As far as body squats go I was just throwing those in randomly, 20-30 after each set.
    I watched a video today how squatting anything less than parellel, aka half squats , are WAY worse for your knees then going ass to grass...I hate seeing guys in the gym load 3-4 plates on and just barely bend their knees and then shake on the way up, its almost disturbing

Also, hows that calf routine going ? Mine ache for days after doing it, its awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w19I...e_gdata_player
    Thats the video, I found it pretty interesting.
    I had a trainer tell me one time, this was a chic with a 4 year degree in sports medicine, that I was squatting wrong cause I was going below parallel...she says its bad because you use "momentum" to get back up...

Oh personal trainers I love you

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    Deep as in well below parallel, like bottom out. Trying to mimic how deep they go on the clean n jerk.
    As far as body squats go I was just throwing those in randomly, 20-30 after each set.
    I watched a video today how squatting anything less than parellel, aka half squats , are WAY worse for your knees then going ass to grass...I hate seeing guys in the gym load 3-4 plates on and just barely bend their knees and then shake on the way up, its almost disturbing
    God, I am ashamed to admit it; but I used to be one of those guys. I was under the impression that going below parallel was worse for your knees; but after reading this, I took it upon myself to read up on it (not that I don't trust you). I was surprised to read that it is better for your knees. My first instinct was "How could this be? You are going farther down, so you should be using your knees more," but it actually makes sense when you think about it. I am glad you informed me of this though.

I think because you see how much weight a lot of guys can squat, you want to do a lot of weight too. Also it is important to exercise with heavier weight in order to put on muscle mass; but clearly if that comes at the cost of poor form, then you shouldn't be doing it. You just improved my squat a lot. Thanks.

Also, hows that calf routine going ? Mine ache for days after doing it, its awesome
    That calf routine is BRUTAL. Thursday I am going up to 90 reps. The article states that you should do a different routine after you do it for a month, but I may restart the routine and just add an additional 5 - 10 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w19I...e_gdata_player
    Thats the video, I found it pretty interesting.
    I had a trainer tell me one time, this was a chic with a 4 year degree in sports medicine, that I was squatting wrong cause I was going below parallel...she says its bad because you use "momentum" to get back up...

Oh personal trainers I love you
    Haha. Yeah I have talked to some very misinformed personal trainers too. That is a really good video explaining it too.

DeniZen is offline Associate Member
    This might help

cjay is offline Junior Member
    It's brutal, both physically and in the fact it's boring as all hell. Did this as a crossfit WOD, and was pretty sore after.

First day of this, and my legs are still shaking. It was pretty brutal.

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    dude this is my fav most brutal workout, thats right where i started at 155 ( lol you need to for 100 reps) lol

chi
    chi is offline Knowledgeable Member
    one of my faves as well but this is what I've been doing

185x10
    225x10
    225x10
    225x10
    225x10
    250x10
    250x10
    275x10
    275x10
    315x10 (last 3 to 4 reps somewhat assisted)

all deep squats and will definitely put you on the brink of tossing cookies
    largerthannormal likes this.

damn thats alot of weight for that routine, good job bro!

Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post

185x10
    225x10
    225x10
    225x10
    225x10
    250x10
    250x10
    275x10
    275x10

my other fav is take your 10 rep max......... and do it for 20, you can stand there all day but you cant rack it. no time limit, def keep a bucket near..

chi
    Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal View Post
    damn thats alot of weight for that routine, good job bro!
    Thanks I've been at it for a while now and just the "feel good" feeling I get post workout and 2 days after keeps me coming back for more.

id be in a wheel chair the 2nd day after, i always have a 2 day layover with legs..odd....

when i last did that routine i did my first 3 sets OH squats, then next 3 front squats, then finished out with back squats, I was lucky to finish at 255,

I dont think ive ever tried back squats all the way through, i def put on size with this routine, my legs need volume to grow, i will go back on this in fall and see if i can bump my numbers up a bit and do all backs

Thanks I've been at it for a while now and just the "feel good" feeling I get post workout and 2 days after keeps me coming back for more.

chi
    Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal View Post
    id be in a wheel chair the 2nd day after, i always have a 2 day layover with legs..odd....

when i last did that routine i did my first 3 sets OH squats, then next 3 front squats, then finished out with back squats, I was lucky to finish at 255,

I dont think ive ever tried back squats all the way through, i def put on size with this routine, my legs need volume to grow, i will go back on this in fall and see if i can bump my numbers up a bit and do all backs
    legs will definitely take a lot out of you for sure. Sounds like you hit them hard as well though and I agree takes volume to grow mine also

Now lunges thats a whole different story!!!
    Last edited by chi; 05-24-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: crap writing
    largerthannormal likes this.

185x10
    225x10
    225x10
    225x10
    225x10
    250x10
    250x10
    275x10
    275x10

Jesus! That is an insane amount of weight for this routine. I won't mention mine.

chi
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    Jesus! That is an insane amount of weight for this routine. I won't mention mine.
    BBF22 it might seem like a lot but try it sometime and even if you dont finish it make yourself a goal to do better than the last time until you finally complete it!

BBF22 it might seem like a lot but try it sometime and even if you dont finish it make yourself a goal to do better than the last time until you finally complete it!
    Well I know I can't do that much weight, but thanks for the advice. My plan for the next time will be the following:

Sets Weight
    1-2: 135
    3-4: 155
    5-6: 175
    7-8: 195
    9-10: 215

Depending on how I perform there, I will either keep it or start at a higher weight the next time.

Thread Information