Thread: Huge arms

ali.jones is offline Associate Member

Huge arms

Guys, first of all I am following the below workout for my arms.

Exercise sets/reps

Standing Dumbbell Curls 2/ 10
    barbell Drag Curls (barbell) 3/ 8
    Incline Hammer Curls 2/10

Triceps
    Exercise Sets/Reps

Close-Grip Benches 1/25
    Tricep Press Downs 1/25
    Double Arm Kickbacks 2/ 10

I wanna build huge arms, the above helps me but not much. What I need to do? What am I doing wrong?

I do this workout on a dedicated day.

Regards

<Sad Jones>

RipOwens is offline Member
    Ever tried drop sets or super sets?

ali.jones is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RipOwens View Post
    Ever tried drop sets or super sets?
    Hi Rip

No dude, although with

barbell Drag Curls (barbell)

Usually do the last one with failure.

<Sad Jones>

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    To many reps on your triceps,
    implement protocols such as rest pause, drop sets, forced and negatives,
    drop the drag curls and try seated incline db curls to stretch and build the lower heads,
    Full warm up then hit 1 or 2 working sets only to complete positive failure then hit one of the protocols above to push you beyond failure,
    after 3 months if nothing is changing try volume training,
    only train your arms once per week,
    Drop the kickbacks, its not really a builder, change it for skull crushers

starscream is offline Associate Member
    While this is only my opinion and what works for me might not work for you, here is an example of how I train arms.. And really everything for that matter chest, legs, back all of it.

First off I do chest/triceps one day then back/biceps another. Never just a dedicated arm day. Also my sets, reps, even exercises are never set in stone.. I just go with the flow and listen to my body.

But here are a few things that work for me that I noticed you are not doing.

1. More! 2 sets of 10 is just nowhere near enough! I like to use "pyramid sets" with just about every exercise ! If you're not familiar with pyramid sets it go something like this
    Single arm dumbell isolation curl:
    weight/reps
    *warmup* 20lbs - 25 reps
    Rest 30sec
    30lbs - 15 reps
    Rest 30sec
    45lbs - 10 reps
    Rest 30sec
    50lbs - 8 reps
    Rest 30sec
    40lbs - 8 reps
    Rest 10sec
    30lbs - 8 reps
    Rest 10sec
    20lbs - *to failure*

So to explain. I increase weight, while decreasing reps until I hit my high point. (depending on the exorcise I may go to a 1 rep max weight, bench press for example) resting for about 30 seconds between sets.
    Then on the way back down I only rest for about 10 seconds (the less rest the better imo) and I will just keep going down in weight until I can no longer do 8 reps, then one more set to failure (ie. 6th set I get only 7 reps, lower weight and do one last set to failure) I like this style of lifting because you get the heavy weight low rep "deep pump" compounded with high rep light weight burn! Which is actually very good for a few reasons, including the idea that the high rep light weight exercise will burn more calories during the workout, while low rep intense heavy weight training has a long term "afterburner" effect causing high calorie burn long after the workout (I've heard as long as 10hrs)

2. As I said I train back/biceps together and chest/triceps together..
    For obvious reasons.. Anytime you train back you will also be using biceps as well as chest and triceps.
    So.. I always train the more compound movement first. Back THEN biceps.. Chest THEN triceps.. By the time I start biceps they are already starting to feel a bit pumped so I will just go to isolation movements.. I stay away from standing curls. It's just too easy to "swing" the weight. I like to use different techniques to isolate the specific muscle as much as possible!

3. As sort of a guideline I set for myself I won't move on to another muscle group until I have done at least 7 different exercises for that muscle. It can get hard sometimes to find another exercise but it can be done..

4.i am also a big fan of forced reps and negative reps.. Look into Hellcentric training (google)

5. Being that this is a steroid oriented forum I should mention that I feel it is better to utilize high reps low weight more so while using steroids .. Just to achieve the hypertrophy in the muscles more efficiently.

I feel like I just wrote a novel haha hope I can help

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by starscream

3. As sort of a guideline I set for myself I won't move on to another muscle group until I have done at least 7 different exercises for that muscle. It can get hard sometimes to find another exercise but it can be done..
    7 exercises per muscle? With pyramid sets within that exercise. That sounds like way too much work for me. To each their own I guess, it just sounds like you're adding exercises for the sake of it, not because you need it.

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    I agree with the above...

If you can manage to do 7 exercises for a muscle your not working hard enough!

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post

7 exercises per muscle? With pyramid sets within that exercise. That sounds like way too much work for me. To each their own I guess, it just sounds like you're adding exercises for the sake of it, not because you need it.
    Haha that may be!

I realize I said before I do almost every exorcise with pyramid sets but often I will do 1 or 2 pyramid sets and then the rest standard 3 sets of 10 or so.. Also some pyramid sets I will only do it in 5 actual sets which in my opinion isn't that much.
    Would you still feel it was too much if it was worded as do 5 sets of 8-10 for 7 exercises?

Maybe it's just me haha but I'm one of those who don't believe such a thing as "over training" exists

Haha at any rate you may very well be correct! Maybe it is unnecessary

Quote Originally Posted by -KJ- View Post
    I agree with the above...

If you can manage to do 7 exercises for a muscle your not working hard enough!
    How long are you spending at the gym? And how much rest between exercises?

I like to rest around 30sec between sets and maybe 5 min or so between exercises.. Usually like 2 minutes

I don't do full body workouts often so if I'm training say chest and triceps with only 3 exercises on each I'm going to be in and out in about 20 minutes..

On one point I'm getting that it's too much work.. Other says I'm not working hard enough.. Haha I spend a couple hours a night at the gym and by the time I leave the trained muscle groups are completely exhausted! That is my goal..

Bdubbs is offline Junior Member
    To many reps imo. How much do you weigh and how many pounds of weight are you doing with all those reps? You should consider doing heavier weight that you manage for 5-8 reps. Skull crushers and enclosed bench grip are great for triceps. Just a thought.

Johnno is offline Junior Member
    Is 7 exercises per muscle not overkill? I'm trying to build size and strength fast, not being too bothered about the cosmetic side rather wanting to focus on size and power. So my routine is focused around about 3 exercises for each major muscle, high weights, low reps and emphasise on compounds rather than isolation, which I figure I can always get stuck into once I have the size and power factor accomplished. Am I going about this the wrong way? Any advice would be well received as I am well aware of the abundance of veterans on this site. My thanks in advance........Johnno

Thread Information