Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By baseline_9

Thread: Best routine for mass and strength when stuck for time???!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2tickets is offline New Member

Best routine for mass and strength when stuck for time???!

Hi

Years ago when i was at college and well into bodybuilding i was in the gym 6 days a week for 90mins at a time doing nothing but weights exercising one or two body parts per day..........i made very good progress doing this and managed to pack on some decent size.

Owing to time constraints now that i work long hours i switched from this to stronglifts 5x5 which whilst it helped me break a few pbs on squat deadlift and press, hasn't added a great deal in terms of size.

Really looking to increase size and strength but am very conscious of time. I generally can fit in 30-45mins 4times per week.

Any thoughts at all guys on how to make the most of the time i have to maximize strength and size gains?

I have just started on wendlers 5/3/1 programme to see how that goes but in the meantime would appreciate any advice.

nafnlaus is offline Banned
    strength rep range is till six. for hypertrophy towards 10. (numbers change if you are doping)
    there is no particular routine that will work, periods must be used. try this out:

warm up towards your working weight, go a little bit above (10% more maybe) and then drop to your working weight when you are warm.
    three weeks of 4 sets of 10 - hypertrophy.
    three weks of 4 sets of 6 - strength

three times a week, 2 squat workouts(front/back) and then some pulls(deadlift or clean pull)

this is for full body exercises only. if you have technique for weightlifting, clean and jerks can be used in variations with those sets.

(if you want sheer power for 1 RM) add another tree weeks following the 4x6 with 3x3, 2x4 starting with a daily 1Rm dropped to dobles of 90/95% then some working sets.

Dadstrength is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nafnlaus
    strength rep range is till six. for hypertrophy towards 10. (numbers change if you are doping).
    I've heard this a few times. How exactly do the numbers change if one is juicing? And what would those numbers be.

nafnlaus is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadstrength View Post
    I've heard this a few times. How exactly do the numbers change if one is juicing? And what would those numbers be.
    significantly faster recovery allows higher intensity and higher number of exercises per day/week. i know how this affects weightlifting very well but regarding Bodybuilding i know less. but just as an example, for a non doping person 12-15 rep range recommended by many BBs is worthless and endurance leaning for the average person. usable range for normal person would be closer to ten.

the goals of training that i have experience with change in a different way with drugs, in stead of higher reps of volume training you increase workouts with full intensity. something you would not endure for long without drugs.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I'd stick with ur 531... And just do your accessory work as hypertrophy based stuff.... Below is just what I'm throwing out off the top of my head

OHP, PullDowns, incline press, side laterals

Dead, leg press, leg curls, hack squat

Bench, Rows, cable flys, face pulls

Squat, good mornings, wide leg press, Hyper extensions

Stick to wendler and then make all the accessory work 3-5 sets in the 8-12 rep range....
    Giggle likes this.
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"
    I love "RUSSIAN BEAR ROUTINE" a lot.

2tickets is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    I'd stick with ur 531... And just do your accessory work as hypertrophy based stuff.... Below is just what I'm throwing out off the top of my head

OHP, PullDowns, incline press, side laterals

Dead, leg press, leg curls, hack squat

Bench, Rows, cable flys, face pulls

Squat, good mornings, wide leg press, Hyper extensions

Stick to wendler and then make all the accessory work 3-5 sets in the 8-12 rep range....
    Hi

Thanks for that, on the assistance work should i be taking every set to failure or stick with wendlers principle that assistance work is never taken to failure?

alex.mitev is offline Associate Member
    Go for upper lower split, every other day....could not think of better suggestion

Thread Information