probuild42 is offline Member

Thoughts on having a training coach?

I have an oppurtunity to have a training coach. This guy use to be a IFBB pro. I've have known him for about a year now and we have trained a little with him and hung out. So after talking several times he wants me to start working out with him. He is offering to help me track my progress, improve on my weak area's and get my diet fixed so I can continue to grow.

TBH I have been a mess at training lately. I train 5 days a week but I feel I have lost my focus. My diet is struggling, mostly in getting enough calories in. So I am thinking this may just be the push I need.

Has anyone used a training coach with great success?

Blog Entries
    It's rare to find a good training coach these days. If you are already an experienced lifter, and have made good gains on your own it's VERY POSSIBLE that they could back track you. They don't know your body and how you grow better than you do.

Most of the trainers at my gym are scumbags, and it's the practice facility of the Boston Celtics so it shouldn't really get better than that. They're very overpaid and are usually only good with inexperienced lifters and out of shape people
    because they just make them do basic things for a couple hours to kill time.

But i don't know, that's just my 2 cents that it's much harder to train someone that's already big and strong than someone who is out of shape and weak if you're paying top dollar i wouldn't do it but since he's a former IFBB pro you never know so why not give it a try i'm sure you could break it off at any time if you feel like you haven't made progress.

He's not asking me for money yet. He's kind of gotten out of shape himself, but he's still huge! I think he see's how hard I train and is just looking for like minded motivated people to teach/train with.. The interesting part of our talks is that it's never about trying to get huge. It's always about being healthy, lifting properly and letting your body grow at a safe pace..

Talking with him has really made me rethink about a lot of the things I do...

pushit_05 is offline Junior Member
    It sounds like you don't have a goal to train for anymore. I have to agree with david as most trainers (99%) are completely useless. The fact that the guy was an IFBB can actually be harmful because his theories and routines are going to be based off of himself and not you. If your looking for someone just to lift with then go kill it.

Personally, I have never had good results with a coach or trainer. Really good ones are very expensive and the rest are just sales for the gym. I have however had a bunch of awesome training partners which was much more beneficial.

Ya I need to sit down and write out my goals, workouts meal plans like I have in the past. Set a time frame and keep a journal. I have come a long ways in the last 1 1/2 years. I've packed on 20 lbs of lean muscle and cut body fat from 17% now down to about 12%. I even thought about joining a new gym. I workout out a fitness gym, nobody there is really serious. A new enviroment with similiar minded people may help boost my drive again..

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've always had better results when having like minded training partners. I'd just like to find a hard core gym within a reasonable driving distance now.

I hear that..I drive 1.5 hours 6 days a week just to lift at a gym with the right atmosphere and people. In my mind it makes that big of a difference.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    if it's free then i would go for it, but if it's for $.. id rather keep my $

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Sounds like it might be a good opportunity for you to learn, and have someone solid guiding you. It is sometimes hit and miss with people. But I have paid for consultations, and although we didn't spend much time on training, it was extremely helpful, and learned quite a bit, then using some of his strategies over the months I've found what I do and don't like and how to use them for me in various situations and goals in mind.

Doesn't sound like he is charging but if you are paying I would make sure he is somewhat reputable and that you agree with what you do know about his viewpoints. It sounds like from your posts it would be a go.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    Sounds like it might be a good opportunity for you to learn, and have someone solid guiding you. It is sometimes hit and miss with people. But I have paid for consultations, and although we didn't spend much time on training, it was extremely helpful, and learned quite a bit, then using some of his strategies over the months I've found what I do and don't like and how to use them for me in various situations and goals in mind.

Doesn't sound like he is charging but if you are paying I would make sure he is somewhat reputable and that you agree with what you do know about his viewpoints. It sounds like from your posts it would be a go.
    This may be a know go! He wants basically $125 per week. He will personally train me twice a week, plus help me with nutrition planning (what ever that means because I already eat super clean), and cycle support.

We are having a bbq this weekend to talk things over a bit more in detail. Right now I'm thinking he is crazy to ask for that sort of money and I wont pay it.. I have to be nice though he is a good friend..

It seems like in your mind he won't add $500/mo worth of value to you. That's a lot of food and gear lol

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Some coaches are worth that kind of money, but most people can't afford that, pretty decent car payment right there. If you were going after some upper level competition I could see maybe spending it depending on the situation.

Thread Information