Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown

Thread: Possible Bicep Tendonitis?

uhit is offline Member

Possible Bicep Tendonitis?

I've had bicep pains whenever I did any overhead press for the past 6 months now. Usually painless unless I do a movement involving some weight.

Now, however it hurts when I straighten my arm. It's been 2 days since my last shoulder workout and its making it very difficult to do simple things like put on a coat because my bicep (toward the elbow) just flares up in pain.

Could it be tendonitis?

Best ways to treat my problem?

94ss is offline New Member
    1. Have the doctor look at it.
    2. Then they usually send you to massage or physical therapy if its not destroyed.
    3. You have to figure out a way to lift to prevent this from happening again. Injuries that suck are slow healing.
    4. May be a good idea to hire a good personal trainer to critique your gym habits.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The upper bicep tendon may be out of the groove. This can cause tendonitis pretty quickly if left out of place.

uhit is offline Member
    I've been massaging it alot and icing it with no relief of the pain.

Gonna go down to the A&E tomorrow since it'll take 3 weeks to see a proper GP. Will keep you guys posted on whats actually wrong with me. Hopefully worse case scenario will be a couple weeks off the gym

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uhit View Post
    I've been massaging it alot and icing it with no relief of the pain.

Gonna go down to the A&E tomorrow since it'll take 3 weeks to see a proper GP. Will keep you guys posted on whats actually wrong with me. Hopefully worse case scenario will be a couple weeks off the gym
    Sounds like you are taking care of it which is great. I tore my bicep tendon back in 08 and it was a long recovery. I remember the doctor explained to me that the tendon frays like a violin bow over time. Keep us posted and good luck.

uhit is offline Member
    Doc says it's not torn (which would've been the worst case scenario), but I suspect he only said that because I was very worried and to only reassure me.

He told me to do the following for 4 weeks and to take neurofin (anti-inflammatory drug) @ 200mg daily and see how I feel.

-Ice for 15mins and massage whole bicep at least once every 2 hours
    -Avoid any work that may put stress on the bicep, if possible try to refrain from going gym but I explained to him that would be near impossible for me so he just said no direct arm work and on any upper body days the second my bicep starts aching stop.
    -Regularly stretch.

If it doesn't become any better after a month then I'm gonna go back. Probably will need to refrain from going to the gym for a while as well. Too young for injuries like this and the last thing I want is for it to hinder my progress in the future.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Your smart if you can handle the break despite the mental anguish. I don't do preachers anymore where you really stretch the bicep but for years I do plus lots of other dumb training methods that were accepted at the time. If it hurts or is too uncomfortable I just avoid it.
    uhit likes this.

Thread Information