Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Splifton

Thread: Changing up training from distance running to high intensity training

turfsire is offline New Member

Changing up training from distance running to high intensity training

Hey all,
    I recently open at thread about my thyroid I was sure was something wrong I had blood taken and everything is near norm
    My training is to run 5k a day 4 or 5 days a week which was great because I have a dog killing two birds with one stone
    But my knowledge of the body is well behind only recently I have read up about high intensity training I guess the 5k runs do work as far as cardio but my metabolism might have been slowed down "I guess my body said what the hell is going on here..I have to reserve some fat with all this crazy running"
    I have a few questions regarding high intensity
    Can I knock off the weight with Sprints or such, what about my metabolism can I raise it ? of course there's a lot of other mitigating things that could be of no use.
    I'll just give a run down about myself 37 year old male 5 foot 7 weigh between 178 and 180 pounds my diet is good enough I reckon I don't need any trash food maybe fast food pizza once a month I don't sit idle neither from work and of course the dog no small feat
    I love running I think it's such a great destresser but it may be impacting on me.
    A lot of other training is alien to me, I'm thinking of maybe getting 12 kilo kettlebell and use it with Sprints .. my goal would be to knock off at least 15 pounds looking in the mirror I can see it around my waist..I used to box professionally and boxed between 154 160 ..back in the day weight came off a lot easier not so much now,
    I am thinking about going on oral steroids like clenbuterol and mix it up with a good diet and high intensity but not sure though ..a lot of buts here
    Any advice would be great thanks
    Last edited by turfsire; 09-20-2015 at 02:49 AM.

ab037 is offline Associate Member
    Clen is not an anabolic steroid .
    To lose fat its CI<CO. Have to know and track all your macros/ and calories. If not you have no way of knowing what is going on.
    In the diet/ nutrition forum there are stickies on how to calculate your BMR and TDEE. To lose fat eat 500 to 1000 cals less than your TDEE. Most of your deficit can come by diet, but can add in cardio to manipulate calorie burn if you like. Hit you protein goal, minimum .8-1g Per LBM.
    Post your diet up over on that section and let the vets critique it, because its all about the diet. Can workout like a beast, but if you eat like &$@! You will look like &$@!

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ab037 View Post
    Clen is not an anabolic steroid .
    To lose fat its CI<CO. Have to know and track all your macros/ and calories. If not you have no way of knowing what is going on.
    In the diet/ nutrition forum there are stickies on how to calculate your BMR and TDEE. To lose fat eat 500 to 1000 cals less than your TDEE. Most of your deficit can come by diet, but can add in cardio to manipulate calorie burn if you like. Hit you protein goal, minimum .8-1g Per LBM.
    Post your diet up over on that section and let the vets critique it, because its all about the diet. Can workout like a beast, but if you eat like &$@! You will look like &$@!
    Spot on, find your TDEE and eat below it. Use whatever type of cardio you can stick to and enjoy. Try not to diet too drastically or too fast especially if you're not weight training because you'll just end up skinnyfat. A realistic goal to lose 15lb in this case would be something like 20 weeks, more like 15 if you're weight training.

Diet will be the determining factor of your weight loss, all that cardio would be making it a lot easier to be in a deficit so if you enjoy it continue it. I'd recommend the app 'myfitnesspal' to track your macros and caloric intake. Just track what you eat for a week or so then if you've lost no weight and gained no weight that's you maintenance, if you've lost a little then you're a little below maintenance. If you gained any then you're eating too much (clearly). Goodluck.

Splifton is offline Associate Member
    I'm in the same situation as you are with transitioning into real weight training as I was always an endurance athlete. It takes a while to really get in tune with that different function of your body, but I definitely learned the hard way for a while on what you shouldn't do.

-Don't have excessive cardiovascular workouts before weightlifting like so many practice. I might walk on the track for 5-10 minutes to get the blood flowing. Theoretically, practicing low intensity cardiovascular exercises after your workout would potentially increase lipolysis activity due the rapid depletion that occurred previously.

-Learn to predominantly utilize HIIT style exercises versus LISS that endurance runners are frequently used to.

-Try to avoid implementing any taxing aerobic activity that is prior to leg day. I've observed some pretty lowered numbers in reference to my workload on leg day.

-AAS personally gave me some outrageous shin splints if I did too much cardio. I can't really say that my experience is reputable as I've only used testosterone . I would think that the prevalence for excessive RBC production with some oral steroids could cause some issues if you find yourself more predisposed to that physiological response. Also, my AAS usage was from my own desire as I tend to subject myself to science projects.

There is reports that training influences muscle fiber composition. However, I was an endurance runner throughout my whole athletic journey in my teens yet I have an absurd vertical jump. (I'm a goofy white kid so it's a paradox to me.) I don't know how much significance if any this observed phenomenon impacts muscle growth. Our "beginner gains" are neural adaptations within our CNS and I felt the brief moment of weight gain at the beginning was probably influenced by increased capacity of glycogen storage within our myocytes.

EDIT: Didn't even see the clenbuterol mentioning. I thought it's contribution to increased lipolytic activity to be minimal at best. The Beta Andrenergic Family are dominant among factors regulating metabolism at the cellular level. (cAMP pathway via signal transduction.) There is new research coming out about possible superiority of Beta-3 agonists vs. Beta-2 agonists such as clenbuterol. Only issue I see is that humans inherently possess relatively poor distribution of these G-coupled proteins in relevant tissue in comparison to Beta-1/Beta-2 population.
    Last edited by Splifton; 10-11-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    Khazima likes this.

Thread Information