Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 3 Post By Couchlockd

Thread: Mass building with dumbells/machines + 15-20 two question

Friggnewtown is offline Junior Member

Mass building with dumbells/machines + 15-20 two question

So I workout at planet fitness because it's close and convenient. However recently I noticed that the Smith machines have been hurting me. I have been paying homage to the 5x5 routine because it's simple and effective while giving me results.

I'm coming off a week and a half off because I seriously fucked up my hip somehow. Going back I was wondering are there ways to supplement the 5x5 routine with dumbells? Are there any go to dumbell mass training routines?

Another monkey wrench here is that I'm still focusing on dropping body fat. So an option here could be to capitalize on 15-20 reps going for pumps. Keep leg days once a week and implement cardio while fasted.

My next date for a cycle is February of 2019. I'm not 100% ready and might push it out further. When I'm back on cycle however. I plan on switching gyms and going straight back to barbells to put on as much solid mass on my frame as possible.

But that Smith machine reaaaalllllyyyy fucked me up

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Friggnewtown View Post
    So I workout at planet fitness because it's close and convenient. However recently I noticed that the Smith machines have been hurting me. I have been paying homage to the 5x5 routine because it's simple and effective while giving me results.

I'm coming off a week and a half off because I seriously fucked up my hip somehow. Going back I was wondering are there ways to supplement the 5x5 routine with dumbells? Are there any go to dumbell mass training routines?

Another monkey wrench here is that I'm still focusing on dropping body fat. So an option here could be to capitalize on 15-20 reps going for pumps. Keep leg days once a week and implement cardio while fasted.

My next date for a cycle is February of 2019. I'm not 100% ready and might push it out further. When I'm back on cycle however. I plan on switching gyms and going straight back to barbells to put on as much solid mass on my frame as possible.

Just replace your bb bench press with flat DB bench. Use those 75s they got.

Bb bench press is actually low on the list for massive chest building.

Db are a far better option for mass in the chest.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Friggnewtown View Post

Just switch gyms. Drive further if you have to. Smith machine forces a movement pattern that may or may not be natural. More likely the latter. More importantly, it doesn't help build/strengthen any of the supporting muscles. Same problem you have w machines.
    You can replace the bench like couch said. You can replace the DL, shoulder press, squat, etc w DB variations. I doubt they are heavy enough for the DL and squat though.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Biceps
    Hammer, preacher, standing or seated regular curl, reverse grip curl, cable curl one hand, cc two hand varying grip.

Triceps
    One hand over head tri ext, hammer type skull crushers, reverse and regular grip skull crushers, two hand tri ext behind head cable or db, rope ext, one hand hammer grip tri ext

Shoulders
    Lateral raise, front raise, seated bent over lateral raise, db shoulder press, db row, everything already listed with cable

Upper back

Bent over row, db row, pull ups, every kind of cable row imagineable.... High low mid wide narrow palms facing palms down palms up...

Chest
    Flys, champagne press, incline press, flat press, decline, dips, pullovers... This is getting boring

Legs

Lunges, squats, ext, curl, roman chair, leg press and all its variations, standing and seated calf raise, stair climber

Uhhhh...
    I could add twenty more to each group
    Couchlockd likes this.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Imho, there is no problem getting a good workout in at PF.

Other than no BB bench, its a pretty complete gym.
    Obs, Family_guy and EDCG19 like this.

Friggnewtown is offline Junior Member
    It was the barbell row. Had my back day and tried to throw in some Smith machine barbell rows and hip flared up.

Obs thank you for the input. Copied and kept for reference.

I'd like to go back to 5x5, it's not the being more sore part it's how well it can work. People who see me daily were finally commenting on my shape. I do feel like all those compounds is an effective way to just add general size to your body. Split routine is fun as hell. But I'd like to do the more effective workout right now. Anyone have ideas on how to supplement the barbell row? I guess I could do lay pull downs or cable rows????????

Thanks everyone

Thread Information