• 1 Post By almostgone
  • 2 Post By Gallowmere
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 2 Post By Couchlockd

Thread: Struggling with squats and leg presses

Lee_1978 is offline Member

Struggling with squats and leg presses

Hi,

Having noticed the effect that squatting and leg pressing has had on my knees over the years, I'm looking into a ways to maintain intensity and hypertrophy without knackering my knees in the process, but I'm coming up short. Are any of you suffering from the same issue?

I firmly believe that squatting and leg pressing with a full ROM is actually easier on the knees than half reps.
    Most people perform half reps to try to protect there joints but the problem is....
    One can easily half rep more weight than when doing a full ROM so....

Even though a half rep (with the same weight as a full rep) is less stressful on the joint....
    people just ruin the benefit by using more weight when they half rep.

just my two cents.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Fiskevatten is offline Member
    A vid would be great to see how your stance is/ how you perform your rep.
    Most I've seen have the wrong stance and execution, which in turn break knees.

I also feel that full ROM is better for knees, but I feel it harder to get stronger in that myself.
    Additionally, it often injures my back or hip instead sooner or later.
    You could also e.g. go backwards lunges (place leg behind you instead) and side lunges - focus on form.
    Knee protection might be a good investment as well if you don't use it.

I would say restart.
    Make sure you really have the right position and execution, then go my sweet routine.
    10 x 10 tuesdays and fridays (squats).
    Start from e.g 60 kg and work up 10 kg each week until you reach around 80% 1rpm, lower weight and keep raising
    each week - anything from 2-5kg depending on your feels.

Best of luck!
    Lee_1978 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    I firmly believe that squatting and leg pressing with a full ROM is actually easier on the knees than half reps.
    Most people perform half reps to try to protect there joints but the problem is....
    One can easily half rep more weight than when doing a full ROM so....

Even though a half rep (with the same weight as a full rep) is less stressful on the joint....
    people just ruin the benefit by using more weight when they half rep.

just my two cents.
    I try and use FROM but it becomes increasingly difficult the more plates/weight you add.

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My advice,cut the volume..warmup throughly..cycling for 15 min or elliptical then bodyweight squats into slightly heavier,etc never at 100 percent until you get to your working set..then go all out, and if your feeling good maybe even drop sets..I’ve had to adapt myself over the years because my goal is to lift for life and somewhere along the way I realized 4-5 sets at 100 percent wasn’t gonna make that a reality..
    DC or DY or Heavy duty training all have similar principles..my knees don’t get that empty walking on air feeling I’ve had for years after beating on them..I don’t get the same satisfaction, honestly.. it seems to build or maintain mass though..which at this stage of the game.. iam 40 and quite a few squats down .is all I can ask for ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chark and sv.elia like this.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Great advice above. Being that my knees usually are my weak point, try some knee wraps. It will make a difference.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    A set of good quality 7mm sleeves can make a huge difference. Warmup as mentioned above is key and the sleeves will help your knees stay warm.

I usually do some ab work, slide on my knee sleeves and knock out a long set of leg extensions at a moderate weight. I believe Kel does some work on a bike prior to squats.

Squat to the extent your body allows, buy try to break parallel. If you have issues at a heavier weight, drop back to the weight you can handle and increase the number of reps or sets.
    Lee_1978 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I like the seated Hammer Strength Iso lateral leg press. No pressure on my knees at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_1978 View Post
    I try and use FROM but it becomes increasingly difficult the more plates/weight you add.
    then you are going too heavy....

all reps at all weight should be to the same ROM

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    To echo and add to what DLD said, stop letting ego get in the way of making legit gains.

If you are a body builder, it really shouldn't be all about the number of plates. If you are a power lifter, then you have to hit parallel every time. Forced partials DO have a place in training, but that doesn't sound like what it going on here.

There is some solid advice in this thread, especially the bit about warming up. One thing I will add is to not doink around with endless sets building up to your heaviest sets. I find that after a few good warmup sets, I'm better off getting right to the heavy sets and down from there. Instead of a pyramid set scheme, think of it like a slide - literally like a slide you would see in a play ground or something.
    Below parallel actually. Shitty judging at multi-ply meets aside, the rule is hip crease below the knee.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I know single-leg squats and single-leg presses aren't the sexy "hey look at me" exercises, but those and weighted lunges are a great way to keep up the intensity, yet back off a little on the weight while getting a killer leg workout.

There's loads of guys squatting 315+ at my gym. You know how many guys are lunging 135 across the length of the gym and back? 1. And he's the baddest mofo in the place.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    to take pressure off the knees-- on the leg press put your feet slightly higher up on the platform and push more with the center of your foot towards your heals rather then with your toes . for the squat, open your stance up more and angle your toes pointing more outward like 30 degree angle.. squat low bar and sit further back into the hole (you can try this first on a smith machine to get the hang of it).

also, on both expresses do full range of motion but do NOT lock out at the top of the range, keep your knees slightly bent and the tension on the muscle. the minute you lock out, all the tension gets transferred into the joints.

if you have a belt squat machine, that is by far the best exercise for legs for guys with bad knees or a bad back
    Lee_1978 likes this.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Keep back stiff on leg press

Position feet and in one violent jerking motion let the sled down, let it bounce off your knee to gut and then shove it up all your might

Keep kinetic energy going, your knees will thank you
    KINGKONG and Lee_1978 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Great advice above. Being that my knees usually are my weak point, try some knee wraps. It will make a difference.

I wouldn't even bother without them!

Great advice - thanks all.

Thread Information